Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

One of my prized possessions is a first edition of Hardiman. The illustrations and maps are amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

churchview wrote: »
    One of my prized possessions is a first edition of Hardiman. The illustrations and maps are amazing.

Bet you bought it off Tom Kenny and all :D

The PDF has most of the maps and images , could you check it is complete for us and verify it is a full first edition ????

If not please scan in the missing bits and where they belong in the page numbering scheme in the PDF .

No, not from Tom. It's around the house long before the Kennys came to town :D

I'll definitely have a look at it to see if it matches up with what you've ?? scanned. It'll be a few weeks until I get to do it though.

Did you scan the one you've linked? If you did, well done. A great thing to do and something a lot of people will appreciate.

I see from the notification to my email you said

"1829 edition by the RIA , bound in Green and with the issue number in red on the 2nd or third page" I think it's 1820, It'd kind of a mottled greenish colour (but I'm a bit colour blind!), I don't remember an issue number, but I'll check next time I'm in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

archive.org ( The Internet Archive) did, their PDF files are text searchable too, bless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there is a bit of old galway down the west end. 'ideal drapers', a derelict shop but still as it was 40 forty years ago. beside the gentlemans club. i can't believe that it hasn't being sold and developed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I remember when the Crane Bar was a place for locals and fishermen, before it became a mecca for germans and french looking for their irish trad music.one of the few pubs in galway where talking is frowned upon.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there is a bit of old galway down the west end. 'ideal drapers', a derelict shop but still as it was 40 forty years ago. beside the gentlemans club. i can't believe that it hasn't being sold and developed.

Would love to know what the story is with that place

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Pat's chipper on Fairhill road, anyone? Always a massive dog outside, Mural to the chipper's destruction is still up in Fr Burke park.
    Regular poems in the Advertiser penned by P. Cooke.
    Miss Mick Taylors pub so much....
    Remember Kaylems? Where Sally Longs is, until about 1988 or '89
    Nora Crub's had proper yummy cappucinos way before they became ever-so-trendy 20 years on.
    Supermac's bridge st - best chips ever, back when the use of aromat was not a sin!
    Hilton Burger, Savoy arcade & Savoy roller rink.
    Teen discos in Leisureland, Seapoint and the Tennis club, then graduating to the Oz, Rumurs, Castle, Oasis, Warwick etc.. (not before being well underage in the Manderley tho!) ;)
    Salthill church so full during summer months they would put on extra masses for the overflow in Seapoint! What a holy bunch we all were then.
    July 12th weekend Salthill would be chock-full of Northerners & the Wolfe Tones would always play Twiggs (downstairs - the Barleycorn? the Shamrock?) Salthill became a madhouse that week!
    in the 70's - Concorde Castle blew into the sea? Weather hasn't changed much, then!
    Galway was grey and smaller, more innocent and more free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Meemars wrote: »
    Pat's chipper on Fairhill road, anyone? Always a massive dog outside, Mural to the chipper's destruction is still up in Fr Burke park.
    Nora Crub's had proper yummy cappucinos way before they became ever-so-trendy 20 years on.
    Supermac's bridge st - best chips ever, back when the use of aromat was not a sin!
    Teen discos in Leisureland, Seapoint and the Tennis club, then graduating to the Oz, Rumurs, Castle, Oasis, Warwick etc.. (not before being well underage in the Manderley tho!) ;)
    Salthill church so full during summer months they would put on extra masses for the overflow in Seapoint! What a holy bunch we all were then.
    July 12th weekend Salthill would be chock-full of Northerners & the Wolfe Tones would always play Twiggs (downstairs - the Barleycorn? the Shamrock?) Salthill became a madhouse that week!
    in the 70's - Concorde Castle blew into the sea? Weather hasn't changed much, then!

More like 86 or 87, what was it called before Kaylems? It'll come to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Des Hynes wrote: »
    More like 86 or 87, what was it called before Kaylems? It'll come to me.

Salmon Weir. Sally's opened on the Monday of Race Week 1988.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Meemars wrote: »

Methinks me must know you because you just described my life as a teenager in the 80's.

Throw in the Silver Dollar for pool, Wimpy for chips and Brambles for cuppa tay and a snog from a girl from the Mercy and u can sum up 1986 to 1988 for mr.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

I'm really loving this thread!! :D

Anyone remember the great bands that were around way back then.....

Midway were one of the best bands going anyone remember them??

I'm really loving this thread!! :D

Anyone remember the great bands that were around way back then.....

Midway were one of the best bands going anyone remember them??

Amongst the less politically correct named bands were the following.....

Shattered Ego

Manic Depression.

Too Much For The White Man

Mandy Smiths' Underpants.

...and ToasteD Heretic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ErnieBert wrote: »
    ...and Toaster Heretic.

Toasted Heretic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Dennis is as bad as Kanye West interrupting Robbie's mid performance!

UCG 1988. Ohhhh, the fashion...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU8lgWuCH5c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for posting that, never really knew who this infamous person was until now. RIP, that was a truly talented guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Aah, who is the student that is all mouth at the beginning and sings happy birthday at the end. She is great. Where is she now, anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I love this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Krieg wrote: »
    Elderly man who was able put his lip over half his face (another galway character)

Pat (Pateen) Stephens - not elderly.

The videos from Claddagh 1965 and Terryland Park in 1987 were already posted here.

Here is the Waterboys in Salthill for the Lark In The Park in 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLEluPDy7A

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Amongst the less politically correct named bands were the following.....

Shattered Ego

Manic Depression.

Too Much For The White Man

Mandy Smiths' Underpants.

...and ToasteD Heretic.

Unbelievable! Right up my alley! Am related to a Shattered Ego member as it happens, so say only nice things :)
    The Salthill Festival with bands on the super-glamourous Gig-Rigs!
    Also, they put up a stage when the tide was out in Blackrock, and De Danaan played a free gig, did I make that up, or does anyone else remember? 1983 or 4 maybe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Was there meself and seeing this brought back many happy memories-great days, great place, good times. Thanks a million ErnieBert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

re: De Dannan, that definitely happened, as I remeber being there. I think the "stage" was the concrete steps/seats though?

Advertisement