Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout of the No

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭

There's an interesting article in the Irish Times today re the political fallout of the No vote. Regardless of how right or wrong this fallout is, it seems to be real, and was not unexpected by many. Although I'm not sure how well Jamie understands the QMV aspect.....what does anyone else make of it?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2008/0923/1222105124502.html?via=mr
    EUROPEAN DIARY: Fallout from the treaty referendum vote is straining diplomatic and social relations, writes Jamie Symth

I USED to be a popular member of the EU press corps and being Irish undoubtedly helped. Coming from a country that has never invaded its neighbours (unless you count the plague of Irish pubs all over Europe) is a good start in Brussels.

Speaking English, but not being English, is also a huge bonus. And it is well known we can throw good parties.

The Irish also had a good reputation among EU diplomats, who praised our ability to broker delicate compromises: remember Bertie's success with the EU constitution.

We also spent a decade at the top of the EU economic growth charts, which attracted a fan base among the new member states. Everybody in Europe loved the Irish, or so it seemed.

I got my first sense this "cool Irish" image was changing when my badminton partner Tom took me to task for my countrymen's No vote a few days after the referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

"Why do you want to ruin Europe for everyone else? How could you vote no when you have received so much money from the EU?" he asked incredulously.

Tom doesn't talk politics much, so the verbal attack delivered over the badminton net came as a bit of a shock.

I put it down to his Belgian nationality - Belgians tend to be EU federalists given that their own country regularly hovers on the brink of break-up over disagreements between the Dutch-speaking majority and the French-speaking minority.

But the Belgians are not alone in feeling aggrieved at the Irish No. In the hothouse diplomatic atmosphere in Brussels almost every nationality has a bone to pick with the June 12th result and most for different reasons.

A British friend recently said he attended a party with German diplomats where he had been forced to defend the Irish result.

"The mood was quite dark," said the friend, who joked that this type of tough criticism was usually reserved for the eurosceptic British.

There is a practical side to Berlin's displeasure with the Irish No because Germany would have boosted its influence at the council of ministers through Lisbon's "double majority" voting system, which apportions more voting weight to states with bigger populations.

French diplomats are also furious. It was President Nicolas Sarkozy who came up with the idea of a mini-treaty to replace the now defunct EU constitution.

The treaty was his "baby" and, to make matters worse, the Irish have wrecked his six-month EU presidency.

But even our traditional allies in Europe have deserted us over Lisbon.

British foreign secretary David Miliband may have assured the public on his recent trip to Dublin that there would be no "bullying" of the Irish.

But it didn't stop Gordon Brown from ratifying the treaty just days after our referendum. London wants Lisbon put to bed to prevent it becoming an issue in a 2010 general election.

The Irish No keeps Lisbon on the agenda.

The Dutch and Danish governments are "pissed off" - in the words of fellow journalists from both countries working in Brussels - by the Irish No because it has reignited a bitter debate over whether their electorates were denied a referendum on the treaty.

The political fallout from the Lisbon referendum has also reached eurosceptic Austria, where the coalition fell apart when Social Democrat chancellor Alfred Gusenbauer said future EU treaties should be ratified by referendum. Elections take place this week, with far-right politician Jörg Haider capitalising on anti-EU sentiment and expected to do well.

In Poland the Irish No has created problems for prime minister Donald Tusk. He faces a battle to persuade his political rival President Lech Kaczynski to sign the treaty to complete the ratification process. Kaczynski is using the issue as a bargaining chip to lobby for more power in the field of foreign affairs to be given to his presidential office.

In Spain the big concern is that it will lose the four extra MEPs that it has been promised in the Lisbon Treaty. Eleven other countries will also miss out on extra MEPs if Lisbon does not enter into force and the European Parliament's representation in next June's elections is decided by the rules under the Nice Treaty.

The Portuguese are unhappy because the treaty is named after their capital city, while for candidate countries such as Croatia there are fears that no Lisbon Treaty means Germany and France will refuse to let them join the EU club.

Only the Scandinavians - Finland and Sweden - seem unfazed by the Irish No vote but then they are rarely fazed by anything. "It's as if the word Irish has suddenly been tagged with the word problem," said one Irish official who works at the European Commission.

"Almost every meeting begins with a summation of how the Irish 'no' will affect a particular proposal," she added.

Given the prevailing mood in Brussels toward the Irish it may soon prove necessary to dust off the British passport that I am entitled to as I was born in Northern Ireland. Cool Britannia anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

molloyjh wrote: »
    ...what does anyone else make of it?
    Yeah, read it myself this morning - not a whole lot of substance to it, I felt. But, I can see a whole load of 'No'-siders getting all hot and bothered about an Irish journalist expressing concern about the change in attitude towards our little island; sure it's all just scaremongering, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yeah, read it myself this morning - not a whole lot of substance to it, I felt. But, I can see a whole load of 'No'-siders getting all hot and bothered about an Irish journalist expressing concern about the change in attitude towards our little island; sure it's all just scaremongering, isn't it?

Poor little didums - my heart bleeds for him - I can see his lickle lower lip curling up ... those nasty Europeans not being nice to him ... Madam should throw a(nother) right strop about this :D

ps - he has a very casual attitude to his Irish passport, doesn't he? Pity he can't just get an EU one without the bother of having to be Irish/British!;)

he has a very casual attitude to his Irish passport, doesn't he?
    What sort of attitude would one expect towards a piece of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

That doesn't belong to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Everything is "scaremongering", up there with that other much-loved cliché "ripoff" Ireland. He's just reporting his observations. In as much as we've got into a tizzy the rest of the EU is also allowed to fret or is that "verboten" under the No means No message as well?

• Advertisement

If its only a piece of paper and considering he was born in Northern Ireland, why did he choose and Irish over British passport if its so unimportant?

I was asked directions by an elderly Sudanese gentleman recently who was very pleased and proud to tell me he was on his way to get his Irish citizenship (and so eligible for that 'piece of paper'). He couldn't speaking highly enough of Mary Robinson and Irish people in general. I was pleased he had a good experience here and also made me feel lucky that I didn't have to go through what he had to, to get that 'piece of paper'.

PS - much funnier letter in the Sindo from a French lady (The World does not love Irish) :D:D
    The world does not love the Irish
    Let farmers take bad with good

Letters Home

Sunday September 21 2008

Sir -- With reference to Brendan O'Connor's page one article: 'No More Mr (Irish) Nice Guy' (Sunday Independent, September 14, 2008), Mr Paddy, sorry for disappointing you, but, no, not everyone likes you.

As a matter of fact, it is pretty amazing how disliked the Irish are.

Of course, this is not said aloud as it is not politically correct. (French and German are the only two nationalities one can hate openly). Anyway as I was saying, keep dreaming.

The great craic: where, when, how, who?

Did I miss anything these last 30-odd years? I never see any craic with the Paddies. I agree, you sincerely believe you've got it, but noooooooo, wrong again. Only when you're binge-drinking do you dare open your mouth. And then, it is to talk total rubbish. You are loud, that's for sure. Well, one is Irish, so, one must pretend to be enjoying oneself. The usual topic is -- God, we are great!!!! Everybody loves us. (Please God, let it be true!).

Your accent? Well, first of all, like in any country, there are different accents. But again, no, no, no, no -- the Irish accent is vile! Last month, I was in Ireland for a week. As soon as I arrived in Dublin and was surrounded by that awful noise coming out of the mouths around me, I wondered how would I be able to last that long. For sure, to wake up next to someone with such an accent must be some anti-climax! Give me the south east English accent anytime. But Irish?

It is a fact that the Irish are totally ignorant regarding the cultures of thousands of beautiful countries and regions all over the world. Most of those cultures include story-telling, playing music, singing. But , again, silly us, we forgot, only the Irish sing and play music .... How many times do you want to hear the boooooooring Danny song?

So Mr Paddy, I've been married to an Irishman for 32 years. I know the Irish history (I made sure I read the books), I know what Ireland was like 30 years ago, I know the mentality of the Irish, I know everything about you all. And it is not very pretty.

The chip on the shoulder? Well, you have one on each shoulder, for balance. And that stops you from rising up. You see the other nationalities, (let's take the French and the German you hate so much) they are very secure about themselves and they are bloody right about it. So, they don't care what anybody thinks about them. I am French (ho la la, a frog!) and the one thing I am proud of is that in France, unlike in Ireland, we are very curious about other nationalities.

My origins are in Brittany. Brittany -- where people do not like the Irish. Why? Because you are ignorant. You are the ones who are not interested in other cultures. The Scottish and the Welsh are loved in Brittany, Why? Because they are interested in all those people coming to the festivals from all over the world to introduce us to their culture. But you? Forget it.

Even when it comes to business in France, you are known as not trustworthy. A lot of bull****, yes!

When I was in sales in London, the Irish clients were the easiest to get. Why? Just telling them, "I am married to an Irishman" was sufficient to get the appointment/the deal. They all thought they were loved. Idiots! Sometimes I even found it too easy.

I have a friend who is the director of a recruitment agency for hotel industry management. Well, guess what? Irish women are the most difficult to place. Why? Because they are vile. They believe that being a good manager is to bully people. Very Irish!

Irish friends? No, it does not exist. I am not saying there are no nice Irish people. But friendship can be difficult among people who begrudge the success of their neighbour. (Don't deny it, even the Irish say it themselves). For whatever reason, you are obsessed with money. In France, we consider it vulgar to talk about money.

So, to your last comment, that everybody likes you when you are rich, let me tell you something. No matter what, Paddy, and don't forget it, no amount of money will hide the smell of dung which will always stick to your magnificent boots wherever you'll go.

And next time, don't mix up "patronising you" with "liking you".

A nationality is just an accident of birth, which means that when people say, for example: "I am proud of being Irish", it is an absurdity. We do nothing in order to have a nationality. And to be proud of something, you must achieve something, work at it, like when you succeed at your exams.

But for sure, I am very happy to be French. Thank God for that accident of birth. How awful to think I could have been born Irish! Italian, Spanish, yes. But Irish! And maybe that is why deep down you're so afraid of not being liked. You realise yourself how pathetic you are.

As for the accent of my husband, he has a great musical ear, and maybe that is why he has hardly any Irish accent. Lucky me!

Anyway, keep dreaming.

PS: All the people I know from Italy, France, Poland, etc are French, Italian, Polish. Nobody calls himself/herself European. Nobody.

Name and address with Editor
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/the-world-does-not-love-the-irish-1479352.html

If its only a piece of paper and considering he was born in Northern Ireland, why did he choose and Irish over British passport if its so unimportant?
    I have no idea, but I chose Dunnes Stores' Fruit & Fibre over Weetabix for my breakfast this morning; doesn't mean I place any great importance in my preferred cereal of the day.

I have no idea, but I chose Dunnes Stores' Fruit & Fibre over Weetabix for my breakfast this morning; doesn't mean I place any great importance in my preferred cereal of the day.

But if (living beside Dunnes), you travelled to the next parish to get Tescos cereal, it would indicate some importance in your choice, wouldn't it (which is what Jamie did here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Here, delete that letter. There's a whole thread devoted to that in After Hours and it totally derails and distracts from any chance of an actual discussion here on the consequences of the No vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

I'm glad the Irish are disliked in Europe and I hope we'll be even more disliked when we vote no to the second Lisbon Treaty. Being disliked will make us feel powerful, like the Americans.

• Advertisement

passive wrote: »
    Here, delete that letter. There's a whole thread devoted to that in After Hours and it totally derails and distracts from any chance of an actual discussion here on the consequences of the No vote.

A consequence of the No vote is that Irish people are not 'liked' in Europe anymore. The Irish Times article is by someone who is 'in the know' of the Eurocrats. The Sindo Letter is evidence of the views of an ordinary French person (who is not employed/or makes a living from the existence of the EU) :)

Fairplay to the Irish Times & Sindo for letting us all know what everyone thinks of us.

Perhaps the discussion should be "Do we care if no one likes us in Europe"?

I'm in the not bothered one way or the other camp whether we are liked or not and that won't be a factor in what way I vote in Lisbon 2.

Found the link on After Hours for anyone who wants to actually discuss this letter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055382472

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Just a few brief comments on the actual piece.
    "Why do you want to ruin Europe for everyone else? How could you vote no when you have received so much money from the EU?" he asked incredulously.

I love the use of the word you, in the context of a decision in which over 700,000 people agreed with this guy. Apparently the only value he sees in life is money. Poor guy.
    The treaty was his "baby" and, to make matters worse, the Irish have wrecked his six-month EU presidency.

This Sarcozy guy seems touchy. Especially seems even if the vote was YES we would still be under Nice until the conclusion of the French presidency. Whining, imo.
    In Spain the big concern is that it will lose the four extra MEPs that it has been promised in the Lisbon Treaty.

The principle of losing something is that you must already have it. I could not lose an apple I never had. Equally the Spanish cannot claim to have lost four MEP seats they actually never had.
    The Portuguese are unhappy because the treaty is named after their capital city

I never knew the Portuguese took international treaties directly influencing the government of 27 nations so seriously :rolleyes:
    Given the prevailing mood in Brussels toward the Irish it may soon prove necessary to dust off the British passport that I am entitled to as I was born in Northern Ireland.

Be rest assured: if there was a referendum in Britain it would probably have been NO too, the only difference is they didnt annoy Brussels by actually force them to listen.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As I read that article in the paper edition, I remember thinking: many in the "no" camp were utterly dismissive of the idea that a "no" vote would cost us influence in Europe. Now that it's becoming clear that it has, the attitude will change to "who cares if it costs us influence?"

Seems I wasn't far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As I read that article in the paper edition, I remember thinking: many in the "no" camp were utterly dismissive of the idea that a "no" vote would cost us influence in Europe. Now that it's becoming clear that it has, the attitude will change to "who cares if it costs us influence?"

Seems I wasn't far wrong.

I must say I thought the same thing!

Turgon - while I agree and find the fact that we have been negatively affected in this way - and the motives for being so affected - as a result of our vote to be ridiculous (in that in a true democracy it shouldn't happen), I also find dangerous driving and the motives for that ridiculous. It's still a reality that we have to deal with though regardless. In an ideal world we wouldn't have to, but this world is far from ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Sindo Letter is evidence of the views of an ordinary French person (who is not employed/or makes a living from the existence of the EU) :)

Nah, I'd say it's extraordinary!
    Fairplay to the Irish Times & Sindo for letting us all know what everyone thinks of us.

Everyone? Are a few Eurocrats and a mad Frenchwoman everyone?
    Perhaps the discussion should be "Do we care if no one likes us in Europe"?

I'm in the not bothered one way or the other camp whether we are liked or not and that won't be a factor in what way I vote in Lisbon 2.

Indeed, I don't care what they think, but no doubt these articles will be dragged up by some in a campaign.
    Found the link on After Hours for anyone who wants to actually discuss this letter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055382472

I don't really want to discuss a racists view but I might waste 10 minutes looking at it.

Jade Goodie comes to mind when I think about that letter.

PS. Getting back on topic, I wonder how she voted on the Constitution?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You are in a rich & stable country. Congrats you won the lottery and are able to freely engage in self-deluding "I'm a citizen of the globe" malarky but don't expect us all to buy into it!:)

fly_agaric wrote: »
    You are in a rich & stable country. Congrats you won the lottery and are able to freely engage in self-deluding "I'm a citizen of the globe" malarky but don't expect us all to buy into it!:)
    In fairness, comparisons were being drawn between Irish citizenship and British; much of a muchness in my opinion. Had we been comparing Irish citizenship with Zimbabwean, then you might have a point.

In fairness, comparisons were being drawn between Irish citizenship and British; much of a muchness in my opinion. Had we been comparing Irish citizenship with Zimbabwean, then you might have a point.

What was that whoosh-ing noise? <listens>:confused:
    I think I hear the sound of Pearse and co spinning in their graves...:pac:

What's this? A re-run of the "people died for your freedom" posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I'm sorry, but I feel like sombody dreamed up this utter ****e to make Irish people more anti- Europe. Would we be up in arms if Belgium had voted no before us or some such, not in general I suspect.

And the French person's letter, well with all the anti-French ****e from the US recently, that's spread like wildfire over here, I'm not surprised someone that could read it all wouldn't go off on one.

Yes a way ahead needs to be looked at, but the article and the letter above are trash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Our governments decision to guarantee the banks looks like it could be the first victim of the No vote. We have lost support in the EU, support which we badly need to hold off the growing opposition to our governments decision. Paul Gillespie write about it in today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1004/1222959349509.html

*Awaits accusations of bullying*

sink wrote: »
    Our governments decision to guarantee the banks looks like it could be the first victim of the No vote. We have lost support in the EU, support which we badly need to hold off the growing opposition to our governments decision. Paul Gillespie write about it in today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1004/1222959349509.html

*Awaits accusations of bullying*

No accusations of EU bullying coming from me. I seem to recall Lenihan saying he contacted the EU before he did what he did and to be told we were on our own.

I've a funny feeling that all those south Dublin bankers who voted 'yes' to Lisbon might feel extraordinary lucky that the Irish Gov., as a sovereign country could actually do what they just did for them and the country.

By the way, if Lisbon was in operation, would the Irish Gov. have been able to bail the Irish banks/econonmy out or would we have to wait for the EU to do it?

By the way, if Lisbon was in operation, would the Irish Gov. have been able to bail the Irish banks/econonmy out or would we have to wait for the EU to do it?
    With all due respect, if you don't know the answer to that, how can you believe you understand the treaty well enough to vote on it either way?

What's this? A re-run of the "people died for your freedom" posters?

No, just a joke.
    I do see what djpbarry is getting at, but my inner nationalist tendencies rebel somewhat...

I voted yes to Lisbon by the way...

I've a funny feeling that all those south Dublin bankers who voted 'yes' to Lisbon might feel extraordinary lucky that the Irish Gov., as a sovereign country could actually do what they just did for them and the country.

Which has no bearing on Lisbon what-so-ever, so why are the 2 being referenced in the same question? Either way anyone who thinks that the senior bankers are sleeping easy these days are fooling themselves. The bail out thing is a different topic, but suffice it to say its really not as big a deal as it sounds.

Yes. Lisbon never would have altered anything in that area.

With all due respect, if you don't know the answer to that, how can you believe you understand the treaty well enough to vote on it either way?

Well, if you believe I shouldn't have a vote for asking a question, what would you do with Brian Lenihan - didn't he contact the EU for clarification about the present situation .... and we haven't even got to Lisbon yet ;)

Well, if you believe I shouldn't have a vote for asking a question, what would you do with Brian Lenihan - didn't he contact the EU for clarification about the present situation .... and we haven't even got to Lisbon yet ;)

Again nothing to do with Lisbon. And my interpretation of what Lenihan was asking was around the whole unfair competition thing given that this was just aimed at Irish banks. To be honest I think there was a bit of leeway given (and likely sought) given the current crisis.

Again nothing to do with Lisbon. And my interpretation of what Lenihan was asking was around the whole unfair competition thing given that this was just aimed at Irish banks. To be honest I think there was a bit of leeway given (and likely sought) given the current crisis.

The point I'm making is that apparently Brian Lenihan is fit to make a decision for this country as Minister for Finance, even though he asks a question/clarification from the EU on whether we are going to find ourselves in hot water with the EU about it. And all I do is ask a similar type question and I'm told by Oscar I shouldn't have a vote :D

Edit: "To be honest I think there was a bit of leeway given (and likely sought) given the current crisis."

The leeway given was that Lenihan was told we were on our own. Don't think Lenihan was best pleased about that.

Which has no bearing on Lisbon what-so-ever, so why are the 2 being referenced in the same question? Either way anyone who thinks that the senior bankers are sleeping easy these days are fooling themselves. The bail out thing is a different topic, but suffice it to say its really not as big a deal as it sounds.

You'll have to ask Gillespie in Irish Times. See Sink's post above.
    Yes. Lisbon never would have altered anything in that area.

Thanks for answering. So, the EU wouldn't have bailed us out then. Which begs the question - what is the point of closer integration in the EU if when you really need them you are on your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

what is the point of closer integration in the EU if when you really need them you are on your own?

Eh, because if we had more closer integration, we mighn't be on our own?

I do love some of the No siders complaining about how useless the EU are in this crisis, yet if the EU had stopped the Govt. from doing the bailout, they'd be the first to cry about EU interference and our sovereignty etc. :confused:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement