Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.E.T.A asks Ben & Jerry's to use human breast milk! Yum!

Options
  • 24-09-2008 1:59am

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

WATERBURY, Vt. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," said a spokesperson for Ben and Jerry's.

PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield:

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to 17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
    Tracy Reiman
    Executive Vice President PETA

Okay,I can't stand the idiots at peta,been thinking about this one and I think they've completely lost the plot..

Would anyone in their right mind eat ice-cream made from some randomers breast milk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I wouldn't touch breast milk unless it was part of some sexual fetish, so why the hell would I drink it just because it's in ice-cream?

PETA? People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals? Is there more cruelty in getting milk from a cow's tit than a woman's?

I'd love to see how they plan to manufacture this milk? A dairy farm for women? I thought that's what Spa's were for.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

you know what?

I'm going start making sure i buy products that were tested on Animals,

****ing loopers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

wtf!!!
    peta nutjobs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Meat is murder!

(murder tastes great)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eeewwww!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Lets start using human toenails instead of cornflakes! :pac: Nyom nyom nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

WoW, that is deffinatly gross. They sell that stuff at all the gas stations around here. I wouldn't get near it if they start putting breast milk in it. And does PETA even consider how many nursing mothers it would take to make enough milk for all of the ice cream they sell?

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

wtf. bunch of CrAzIeS

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Johnathon wrote: »
    WoW, that is deffinatly gross. They sell that stuff at all the gas stations around here. I wouldn't get near it if they start putting breast milk in it. And does PETA even consider how many nursing mothers it would take to make enough milk for all of the ice cream they sell?

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals :D

Plenty of herds no doubt. I don't think a group of mothers will appreciate being referred to as a herd, and certainly not as heifers. Not to their face anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

So drinking bovine lactate is more natural than human breast milk? Still, what a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I ****ing hate PETA.. For every bull**** stunt like that they pull, I am going to rape a kitten!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

I don't think this is supposed to be taken literally or seriously. Peta do and say controversial things to get their point out there where its hard for animal rights to have a platform in the public sphere.

Its supposed to get people to maybe think about where their food comes from when so many take it for granted. People go to a shop and just get the litre off the shelf go home and use it in their tea or cornflakes without a second thought. i.e. milk is designed for a calf its kind of disgusting when you think about it just that its the norm in this country.

You wouldnt drink pigs milk or dogs milk would you so why cows?

taibhse wrote: »
    I don't think this is supposed to be taken literally or seriously. Peta do and say controversial things to get their point out there where its hard for animal rights to have a platform in the public sphere.

Its supposed to get people to maybe think about where their food comes from when so many take it for granted. People go to a shop and just get the litre off the shelf go home and use it in their tea or cornflakes without a second thought. i.e. milk is designed for a calf its kind of disgusting when you think about it just that its the norm in this country.

Everytime you make a pose retarded questions like this, two kittens are going to get it!

Everytime you make a pose retarded questions like this, two kittens are going to get it!

ah yes the mentality of bestiality great reponse

-2 kittens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

TBH i think about where all my food comes from and i hate these PETA arssewholes preaching to me that if i really new i'd think twice about it. I'm not shocked when i hear my Leg of lamb was once attached to a cute fluffly child of a sheep and the said legs "natural" position is bending and flexing helping the lamb jump up and down frollicking through green fields or gasping for air dense factory farms. I don't care it tastes good and it does my body good to eat it.

Mammys Booby juice doesn't taste nearly as nice IIRC. I made the mistake of getting curious and takin a suckle of one of the bottles me mam had made up for later for the little sis and it were'nt one but nice. Cow's milk is damn tastey and a great source of protiens carbs and fats.

It's not natural?!?!! What a load a craptastic shoite. I'll tell you what isn't natural for me Tofu and lentils. Splurghhh!!

I'm not surprised when i hear cows are stunned strung and slit from chin to tail so bloody what. When the bumbling bovine race develops the inteligence to defend itself i may eat my words( i'll have to cos i'll be hungry there's no beef) but until then chop em up and fry em for dinner they're damn tastey.

moral of the story
    Moo juice > Mams milky excrete any day.

Mammys Booby juice is damn tastey and a great source of protiens carbs and fats.

fixed that for ya

bet you love bitty:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

how many of these Feckin eejits have even been to a dairy farm? now I could understand someone maybe gettin a little squeamish about Veal production or something like that, but Dairy Cattle, Feck, Dairy cattle have it easy, tis in the Farmers best interest to keep his Cows healthy and happy as this has a direct effect on the quality and quantities of the milk produced.

Human Breast milk, Seriously what sort of woman would decide that selling their breast milk was a good idea?

Skanger Burds thats who, do you really want to risk drinkin that milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Crazy people send letter to large company. Stop the presses!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Plenty of herds no doubt. I don't think a group of mothers will appreciate being referred to as a herd, and certainly not as heifers. Not to their face anyway ;)

They can't be heifiers cause they've had a baby, they'd be a herd of cows:eek:

If it's not supposed to be taken seriously then why put it out. And AFAIK Women are animals and I'd hate to see how much milking would be required to replace cows milk.

The milk we drink isn't calf milk, that's only produced for a short time after birth.

If they had them in the shop I'd try it. But I'd be damned if I'd try to milk a dog or pig, way to many udders.
    And don't forget in some countries they drink the blood, but you never here them giving out about that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lmao! Boobatarians? breastatarians? I might join up. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Seriously what sort of woman would decide that selling their breast milk was a good idea?

Swiss women do it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's ludicrousness by PETA but lol at people baulking at the idea of - shock horror - humans drinking human milk!! :eek:

Human babies drink it so what would be wrong with human adults drinking it? Cuz it's from boobies and boobies are sexual so therefore it would be "just wrong ok"? Nobody's suggesting the milk would have to be sucked from some woman's tit.

Or "drinking breast milk is only for babies" - why?

Drinking milk from a cow's tit is far more acceptable because... it just is? /waits for someone to say yes.

Why though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dudess wrote: »
    Human babies drink it so what would be wrong with human adults drinking it? Cuz it's from boobies and boobies are sexual so therefore it would be "just wrong ok"? Nobody's suggesting the milk would have to be sucked from some woman's tit.

Drinking milk from a cow's tit is far more acceptable because... it just is?

I don't mind the idea in theory but at the same time, I wouldn't like to ever see the actual person my milk came from. Like if they had those tray covers that McDonalds had telling you about a particular supplier. You know the ones. "Joe McGurk is a dairy farmer from Inis Backwards and he supplies 10 tonnes of cow brain a year." I wouldn't want to sit down with a milkshake and a McFlurry to read about milk supplier Joan from Walkinstown who is delighted now that she's working from home hooked up to the milker because it means she can spend more time with the kids. :eek:

I think there's a lot of practical reasons why it's not a good idea. Cows live in a controlled environment. What they eat and who they screw and their curfew are all decided by the farmer. This ensures a certain standard of milk and keeps contaminants to a minimum.

Are you really going to trust human women to observe a strict regime like that? Obviously there would be screening and pasteurisation and so on but still would you like to think that your Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough was possibly made with milk from some girl who smokes or does drugs or whatever?

Just look at what people go through when giving blood. Been in England during any period between 1700 and 2020? Sorry no dice. Ever had a stray homosexual thought? Sorry we don't want your blood. What's that on your arm, a bubblegum transfer? No thanks.

There would have to be similar standards in place. Also I'm pretty sure humans don't produce the volume of milk that cows can. And it certainly wouldn't be economical to process and sell it at the going rate for cow juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh no, I agree the idea is unfeasible, I just find it interesting the way people are conditioned to feel horror at the idea of non infant humans drinking human breast milk but cow and goat's milk - no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Udder nonsense imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Udder nonsense imo

Ah come on. It's too early four stomach churning puns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I disagree peta members actually believe in this ****.
    Well I've drank goats milk and eaten sheeps milk ice cream, and I eat pigs meat, so I don't see the distinction. Except that pigs and dogs have crap milk yields. Peta are such ****tards, cows do not have babies.
    PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

Because its lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Out of touch with reality loopers. I couldn't see how making a ridiculous request like this could help the cause of animal rights. It just illustrates how extreme and out of touch with reality some of these animal rights groups are.
    I really hope its not ment to be taken seriously.

Advertisement