Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive renames itself F:\ to E:\... 1000's of files need rerouting... Little help?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

I have a Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive which I bought almost 2 years ago and I've been using it ever since as my "F:\" drive to backup everything from photos to music to not-so-often-used programs. I'm operating XP by the way.

Last week, I went into iTunes and when I went to play any song it couldn't be found. File paths were all unavailable when I clicked on Properties.

I went into My Computer and found that the external hard drive had renamed itself E:\, so every one of the 18,000+ songs that once could be found at F:\My Music is now under E:\My Music. :mad: How do I rename the drive back to F:\ so that I don't have to start an entire new iTunes library, losing playlists, playcounts and everything else? :confused:

Any help whatsoever is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Is there something else plugged in that is now drive letter F?

In either case, to change drive letter:

Right Click on My Computer-->Select Manage-->Click on "Disk Management," which is under the "Storage" Category

Under the "Disk Management" Section, you should see all of your drives listed.

Right click on the drive you want to change and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths."

You should be able to change the drive letter to whatever you want, but if something else is currently set up as drive letter 'F,' change it first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

"Partition Magic" a well known hard-drive app has a built in ability to rename such files to a new location or drive of your choosing.
    I personally use it all the time.

Advertisement