Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Ryan RIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Alex, a true gent, not a bad word was said about him in all the Clubs he played in Dublin.

Funeral details below:-

The death has occurred of Alex RYAN of Raheny, Dublin
    Late of Marino. Removal from St. Francis Hospice this Monday evening to the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Greendale Road, arriving at 5.30pm. Funeral tomorrow, Tuesday, after 10am Mass to Glasnevin Crematorium. Family flowers only, please. Donations, if desired, to St. Francis Hospice Raheny.

Date published: Monday, September 22, 2008
    Date of death: Friday, September 19, 2008

May you rest in peace Alex, you always made us smile

Martin & Colette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Rest in Peace ALex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

RIP Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

Known and played poker with Alex for many years now... One of the best guys you could hope to meet across a poker table.. Never once seen Alex insult get annoyed with anyone!! No matter how the cards fell... Gentleman to the end.....

Myles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭thepokerroom

you were a true gent great playing in the cara and some wonderful stories. r.i.p.

jim and the smith family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Jools Poker

RIP Alex - you will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Didn't know him personally but some of us steamy young kids(me) could learn a thing or two from his table demeanor. True gent, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RichardB2

Alex was such a pleasure to play, god rest him.

Just as an aside.
    1st time I sat into a cash game I got involved in a hand with Alex.
    I three betted AQ pre-flop & was called by Alex and one other.
    AQx rainbow flop which I love & re-raise Alex's bet, he calls & randomer folds.
    Turn comes a King, :rolleyes: Alex only has €48 left so I lob in €50.
    Alex instantly calls. :eek:
    Wondering if I might be in trouble I was astonished to see
    a veritable hailstorm of chips being lobbed into the pot
    from at least six other regulars competing to top Alex up to the required €50.

Such was the man. :)

RIP sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

VWP

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Punter Bren

Poker will miss a true gentleman . I first played Alex in the merrion when I first came into the poker scene and he made welcome and he would always start a chat with you
    may he rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dinjo99

Rip Alex.

First played with him in Terry Rogers club in Fairview nearly 20 years ago.
    I never found him to be anything other than a complete Gentleman.

Ar Dheis Dé Go Raibh Tu a Alex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

RIP Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Very very sad news, as everyone has said Alex was a true gentleman. RIP Alex, you will be missed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

RIP Alex. The last time I saw him he was wearing his "Bad Boy" baseball cap, so funny for such a nice guy.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kweeveen

DeVore wrote: »
    RIP Alex. The last time I saw him he was wearing his "Bad Boy" baseball cap, so funny for such a nice guy.

DeV.

gent and a legend, bad boy and jackpot caps cracked me up! rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MickL

The Dublins Bad Boy of Poker will be forgoton,
    True Gentleman,
    Does anybody know his age?
    Hope i can still be so enthuastic about poker at his age.

RIP

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

He was 84

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭snowy666

My condolences and best wishes to Alex's family and friends.

In the years I dealt to/played with Alex, I always had to stop myself from laughing at some poor newcomer calling one of his re-raises, lambs to the slaughter :)

A more helpful, pleasant gentleman - with a wicked sense of humour - would be hard to find. RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Sounds like a true gent and a great man. RIP Alex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

RIP alex, just to echo what everyone else said, true gent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭monoP54

So sorry to hear of his passing. What a great character. I really enjoyed his presence in a game and it usually meant a cordial and well behaved table. I thought he would just keep playing forever.

Alex: "Ah sure - I'll have a gamble......."
    = time to give up the pot!

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 F123X

Hi, this is Fiona – Alex’s daughter. Many, many thanks for all the lovely words and indeed to the many of you who came along to the Removal/Funeral. Dad would have been delighted at his send off and the tributes etc from all his fellow poker players. Indeed I am sure he is looking down from somewhere mischievously chuckling to him self at many of the tributes!!
    It’s lovely too see he was so well thought of – he was indeed a true gent and impossible to argue with. And he had a terrific mischievous sense of humour and would delight in recounting stories to us about the club – the games he got into and all the characters – he just loved it – he got such a kick out of it.
    As you might imagine I have read this thread many times – and it is always so touching to read and I also feel so proud of Dad.
    I was in the clubs a few times with Dad – it was great to see him play and meet a few of you.

We his family are so glad he enjoyed life and especially the pleasure he got from poker, so near to his end.

A special thanks to Bernie and Tom MacMahon for setting up this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Hi,

This was a really special tribute to Alex that brings back good memories everytime I come across it. I know most of you would know Alex's good friend Bernie too. She is in poor health at the moment. If you have any special messages for her please post them to: http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7496 and i will pass them on to her.

All the best, Mark.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Please give Bernie my best, she was always a lady at the table.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

RIP Bernie.

You were both part of my early years in poker and were models of how to conduct yourselves at the table. Fitting that Bernie started this thread. Head's up elsewhere I suspect...

Seat open...

Thats very said to hear. Bernie bent my ear on more than one occasion, like a clucking mother hahahah... she gave out to me for reraising her once! She was always good spirited and fun to play with. She'll be missed but if there is an afterlife Bernie and Alex are "having a little look at the flop". :)

DeV.

Advertisement