Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Phd MONDAY!!!!

Options
  • 18-09-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

:DHello Lads/Ladies!

Im starting my PhD on monday!! WOOHOO!!

I'm so excited about it and was just wondering if anyone has any advice about the first few weeks and months, like what to do.. and what not to do!

Any things that after a year or two into it your thinking, 'god i wish i hada done this....'

I know its a bit of a weird question, but just said i'd throw it out there and see what i get back.

Cheers
    Neil

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi, congrats on starting the phd.
    I would recommend making notes of everything you read when you're starting off, as I now look back at papers and know I must've read them but not a clue what they're about.... On a kinda negative note, EVERTHING will take twice as long as expected, and you will keep finding out about random paperwork that should've been filled in three months ago but nobody told you about (well, in my experience anyway :o).
    Make good use of the tea-room in your department, and get to know the other postgrads early on, as they will celebrate with you when times are good and have loads of advice when times get tough.
    And best of luck, hope you enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

All of jw297's advice plus

- make use of a good paper reference software. I use JabRef (others here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352112)

- use Latex to write anything longer than a page

- if doing experimental work, plan ahead, otherwise you will get completely aimless. Fairly detailed for 3 months, then a good outline for a year. Think of all equipment you need or you just want. It will be easier to get it ordered now than any other time. And it will defo take longer than you think but don't worry everyones does.

- fight for what you want. I don't mean be a c u next tuesday but you have to stand up for yourself. From little things like getting space and proper computers to big things like the direction of your work. People need a kick up the arse to get things done and if only you want it done then you will have to do some kicking

- you will have bad/slow times when nothing seems to get done. Everyone does, work through it, move onto a different area, whatever just don't get depressed about it.

- take advice from those who have been there before

- try and build a good working relationship with all around you. More PhD go down the drain due to personal difficulties than due to poor/bad work.

- try and enjoy it. At this stage you're supposed to be doing something you like so enjoy doing the work. Don't completely lock yourself away from the world, after all it is only part of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Cheers for that lads, thats great advice! greatly appreciated.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Any things that after a year or two into it your thinking, 'god i wish i hada done this....'
    Like quitting after 6 months.
    There is about a 30% chance you won't finish so just remember its nothing major if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

UB wrote: »

That's eh, rather scary. I updated my website a week ago (no you're not getting the link :pac:) and linked to the exact same comic.

Great minds think a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ah hosey, workin is where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Placebo wrote: »
    ah hosey, workin is where its at.

Don't listen to him Hosey. Those days playing Counter-Strike paid off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

lol cionad wats the story, but who the hell is placebo? :confused:

Advertisement