Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2008, 14:32   #1
tenandtracer

"Papers" PDF organizer

Currently only for Mac but this program is extraordinary for organizing PDFs. Started using it last week and have been very impressed. Works beautifully with Endnote.

http://mekentosj.com/papers/
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2008, 17:42   #2
AtomicHorror

A PC version would be nice!
09-08-2008, 22:48   #3
Professor_Fink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicHorror View Post
A PC version would be nice!
Try JabRef. It's a java bibliography oorganizer.
Thanks from:
09-08-2008, 23:51   #4
2Scoops

Zotero is another one I've seen used. A plugin for Firefox and another for MS Word for CWYW. Has just as much functionality as Papers, or so I'm told, but it's FREE!
11-08-2008, 21:07   #5
nesf

Zotero gets a second recommendation from me. Free is always nice.
Advertisement
12-08-2008, 02:49   #6
Professor_Fink

I should have mentioned that JabRef is free too.
15-08-2008, 23:16   #7
nesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Fink View Post
I should have mentioned that JabRef is free too.
After taking a glance at it, libraries are for the most part interchangeable between it and Zotero (Zotero leaves you export as BibTeX). Zotero can grab citations straight from search pages/article entries in JStor or ScienceDirect etc. or from college libraries catalogues which would possibly make it a bit handier for many people. Even as just a place to store links to papers that look interesting but that you don't have time to read when you come across them would make Zotero fairly useful to many people I imagine.

I'd recommend it to most people as a convenient place to organise things, and if you want you can export to BibTex and import it into many other organisers if you find something else that suits you better without having to work out the bibliography from scratch again.
09-09-2008, 12:38   #8
Sonderval

Thumbs up for Papers too!

Can't wait for them to implement pdf highlighting
21-12-2011, 21:09   #9
Armelodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesf View Post
After taking a glance at it, libraries are for the most part interchangeable between it and Zotero (Zotero leaves you export as BibTeX). Zotero can grab citations straight from search pages/article entries in JStor or ScienceDirect etc. or from college libraries catalogues which would possibly make it a bit handier for many people. Even as just a place to store links to papers that look interesting but that you don't have time to read when you come across them would make Zotero fairly useful to many people I imagine.

I'd recommend it to most people as a convenient place to organise things, and if you want you can export to BibTex and import it into many other organisers if you find something else that suits you better without having to work out the bibliography from scratch again.
Just to throw in the auld 'there's an app for that' comment..

zotero scanner lets you scan any barcode and sync it with your files, handy if you're on the run in the library and come across books that you might need later...

Tried using 'zandy' which allows you to edit your files via smartphone...but couldn;t get it to sync with Zotero (probably gave up too quick).
Advertisement
23-12-2011, 14:42   #10
itzme

Another good one out there is mendeley which is also free, www.mendeley.com. Very handy as it auto creates an online research profile for your papers if you wish and syncs all your papers online allowing you to have a backup online or on other computers.
23-12-2011, 17:51   #11
opinion guy
Closed Account

+1 for Mendeley.

Another new one is ReadCube - which is in Beta - looks promising but so far they haven't added Word integration so no use to me - but one to watch I think - VERY slick interface
http://www.readcube.com/
24-12-2011, 19:18   #12
Tree

Mod: Biology
I have big <3 for medeley. Was using referencer up till recently when i moved to mendeley. Referencer is great for arranging bibTeX, but mendeley does almost all the same stuff and a fair bit extra, so for now, it wins
03-01-2012, 11:24   #13
djpbarry

Online storage with Mendeley is a bit limited unless you sign up for the premium version. I've been using JabRef for a few years now and have few complaints. Dropbox is useful for backing up and syncing my PDF library.
03-01-2012, 11:54   #14
5uspect

Bibdesk works fine for me. Used to use Jabref which I would also recommend on any OS.
03-01-2012, 23:17   #15
Squeeonline

+1 for Mendeley. It's a while since I've used it, so I hope that a few of the issues I had with it have improved, like more style options.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion