Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Man at crossroads

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Take the junction at Christchurch Place, High Street, Nicholas Street and Winetavern street.

Any pedestrian approaching on the northern side of High Street who wants to visit Christchurch is obliged by the current laws to:

1: Wait until permitted to cross to the centre of High Street.
    2: Wait until permitted to cross to the south side of High Street.
    3: Wait until permitted to cross to the centre of Nicholas Street.
    4: Wait until permitted to cross to the east side of Nicholas Street.
    5: Wait until permitted to cross to the centre of Christchurch Place.
    6: Wait until permitted to cross to the North side of Christchurch place.

Apart from the delay in waiting for each of the six signals to momentarily allow one to cross, and assuming that drivers have not chosen to block the crossings, the distance is many times more than the direct route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

markpb wrote: »
    DCC's stated policy is to keep cars moving through the (Dublin) city centre area at the expense of pedestrians. Traffic light (red) times have increased dramatically across the city as congestion gets worse. They have cited numerous locations (Drumcondra / Clonliffe springs to mind) where they admit they inconvenience pedestrians in order to keep an artery flowing. They refuse to try systems from other countries (such as green without demand) because it might delay drivers by a few seconds. They say this in emails, they say it at conferences, they even published an article about it on the front page of several papers only a few months ago.

Traffic lights in Irish cities exist to regulate pedestrian movements. You might not want to believe it but the people operating the traffic systems say otherwise.

Markpb, I agree - I'm not saying that DCC's traffic managmenet policies are to the benefit of pedestrians, what I am saying is that the provision of pedestrian facilitites SHOULD benefit pedestrians compared to junctions where there are no facilities. I think that there are a limited amount of pedestrians who would classify a walk in Dublin City Centre, crossing junctions, as a positive experience! :)

I'm sure other cities like Cork City and Limerick might not agree that your quote relates to them but I'll let them fight their corner! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone who walks in Dublin City will notice themselves the difference in light times in certain places. It can takes for example for the lights to change on Amiens Street outside Connolly, despite the fact that there are large numbers waiting to cross after dis-embarking from the train. There's no conspiracy when it's actual fact.
    Take the junction at Christchurch Place, High Street, Nicholas Street and Winetavern street.

Any pedestrian approaching on the northern side of High Street who wants to visit Christchurch is obliged by the current laws to:

1: Wait until permitted to cross to the centre of High Street.
    2: Wait until permitted to cross to the south side of High Street.
    3: Wait until permitted to cross to the centre of Nicholas Street.
    4: Wait until permitted to cross to the east side of Nicholas Street.
    5: Wait until permitted to cross to the centre of Christchurch Place.
    6: Wait until permitted to cross to the North side of Christchurch place.

Apart from the delay in waiting for each of the six signals to momentarily allow one to cross, and assuming that drivers have not chosen to block the crossings, the distance is many times more than the direct route.

Again, this is the traffic management policy that upsets people not the existance of pedestrian facilitites. It 's all in how you use it.

Traffic lights are great for traffic but can be used to restict the amount of traffic let into the city across the canals - again it's the policy that annoys people - I think we are coming to a concensus now ;)

Advertisement