Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive HDMI Cables Do Make a Difference --> FACT (Go Monster Cables!!!)

Options
2»

Comments

I think they might make a diff' i'm having trouble with mine lately!!.... since i first got it you might get these flashes and loss of picture for a second..... but now lately i get these little green dots all over the screen and it won't go unless i adjust the cable at the back... this can be a pain as it can keep going leaving me to get up every minute to fix it(until it stops)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

since i first got it you might get these flashes and loss of picture for a second..... but now lately i get these little green dots all over the screen and it won't go unless i adjust the cable at the back...

That is clearly a faulty cable or socket and is typical of what happens when they fail. Major drop outs and sparklies!
    Replace the cable as soon as possible , return it if you can , the more jiggling of the cable you do the more likely you are to damage the socket , and that will cost way more than a cable. Remember that this can happen to any cable and paying more for one wont rule this type of thing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I have a monster cable that I had to buy when I picked up my tv.(I know, i was aware of the threads here:( )
    It's actually faulty already without much use ,it gets very loose and falls out of the socket. My other cheapo cables are good and tight still and no sign of weakness.

Their pricing is monsterous ,thats about it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

i just bought my ps3 came with an av cable but no hdmi, would it be worth getting a hdmi, my tv is a hd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

utick wrote: »
    i just bought my ps3 came with an av cable but no hdmi, would it be worth getting a hdmi, my tv is a hd

You NEED a HDMI cable to get the best from your PS3. You have no idea what you're missing out on, there is a huge world of difference. Your PS3 came with a composite cable which is the lowest possible connection possible.

If you're not doing anything tomorrow, go get a HDMI cable and report back to us what difference you see.

• Advertisement

sounds like a big difference, may go buy one now, the only game i have at the moment is call of duty 3 so will be interesting to see the difference

utick wrote: »
    sounds like a big difference, may go buy one now, the only game i have at the moment is call of duty 3 so will be interesting to see the difference

You will see a big difference but you really need a different game to really see the impact. If you're connected to the internet download a demo from the PSN.

after a bit of difficulty i got it set up. definately better, much better vissability, can actually see further than the end of the gun now.

before i thougght the poor visability was just cos it was a night setting

Eh where did you manage to buy one so late at night?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Eh where did you manage to buy one so late at night?
    User is in Orlando?

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    User is in Orlando?

Ahh that makes more sense now, dunno how I didn't notice that. Thanks byte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

This should be fairly obvious to anyone with even a little technical knowledge :rolleyes:

The HDMI signal is digital, right?

It doesn't matter how much the cable costs or what exotic materials it's made from. The single most important thing to consider is the thickness of the cable. Once it's thick enough to allow a 1 to pass through it on it's side, it should be able to handle the 0s regardless of their orientation. The 0s tend to cause fewer problems anyway because they're smoother.

Problems occur with thinner cables when a 1 gets turned sideways and causes a blockage upstream. Most of us would barely notice because due to the amount of data being pushed down the cable, the other 1s and 0s quickly push it along. The signal deteriorates each time this happens though, due to the 0s nearest the blockage being compressed flat, essentially becoming 1s. More rarely, if enough data pressure is applied to the end of a 1, it can compress along it's length and emerge as a lower case 0. Coloured in. If you can find out what font size your digital equipment is using you can make a more informed choice.

I hope this clears it up for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

i hope the above is an attempt at humour :-) "blockage" "coloured in" "font size". Otherwise its time to visit the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

It's simple logic!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Vulcan logic is it ? time for the rubber room me thinks.

Advertisement