Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 2nd hand 4x4

Options
  • 16-09-2008 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I'm going to buy a 4x4 but I can't make up my mind on what type. Criteria is 2.5 ltr engine max, preferably diesel, manual gearbox, 80 - 90k miles max, and leather seats (although not that important). I'm going to go to the UK as there's much better choice and value there. My budget is about 2500 STG / 3000 EUR, so I'm looking at 98 to 02 roughly in age. In the list so far is a Hilux Surf 2.4, Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 SWB or LWB, or Land Rover Discovery 2.5 TDS. I've read that approx 20% of Hilux Surf's need to have the head gasket changed, although apart from this or once this is done they're bullet proof. So can anyone advise on the best from those three, or suggest another good 2.5 ltr 4x4?

Thanks v much.....

Ciaran.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Sorry should have added that I don't want to go off road or do any hauling or heavy work. I want it mainly for holding a 9 ft surfboard and heading down the country. Again all opinions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why not get a van instead?

something like this http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Transporter/2.5-Tdi/1201132/ would get you on and off the beach as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm going to be the usual biased self and go with the Discovery, although for 3000euro i don't think you will get much in a Discovery in 1998 unless you are going commercial?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

How about a Santa Fe , they are dirt cheap in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Sorry should have added that I don't want to go off road or do any hauling or heavy work..

So, you don't need a 4x4, and you want us to tell you which 4x4 you don't need. OK, you don't need a BMW X6. Or any other 4x4, just like 99% of 4x4 buyers. Buy a roof rack.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes if your not going off road or hauling loads a van makes much more sense, cheaper to run and more load space.

Zube wrote: »
    So, you don't need a 4x4, and you want us to tell you which 4x4 you don't need. OK, you don't need a BMW X6. Or any other 4x4, just like 99% of 4x4 buyers. Buy a roof rack.

You're welcome.

Bad day at the office?

Bad day at the office?

Are you kidding?

The roads are clogged with 4x4s, half of which are front-wheel-drive imitations. The real ones are heavy, slow agricultural yokes which belong in the class of things that shouldn't be allowed on real roads. The fake fashion 4x4s are stupid, ugly and always IN MY WAY.

And all of them cost far more than an intelligent person would spend on a much nicer car of the same size/power/snob value.

I don't think they should be banned, I think they should be mocked mercilessly until the idiots who buy them because they think they are cooler than cars realize that in fact, driving a road-only jeep is a badge of ignorance.

Are you kidding?

The roads are clogged with 4x4s, half of which are front-wheel-drive imitations. The real ones are heavy, slow agricultural yokes which belong in the class of things that shouldn't be allowed on real roads. The fake fashion 4x4s are stupid, ugly and always IN MY WAY.

And all of them cost far more than an intelligent person would spend on a much nicer car of the same size/power/snob value.

I don't think they should be banned, I think they should be mocked mercilessly until the idiots who buy them because they think they are cooler than cars realize that in fact, driving a road-only jeep is a badge of ignorance.

It's not that people think they are "cooler" than cars. My mother would love a jeep, because of the driving position and being up high. I wouldn't consider the 2 wheel drive versions jeeps. The likes of the Nissan Qashqai or the Hyundai Tuscon 2 wheel drive i wouldn't consider a jeep. It's all down to people's taste's.
    Same can be said for all type's of cars and jeeps. People like what they like.
    I would buy a jeep, simple as.

Same can be said for all type's of cars and jeeps. People like what they like.
    I would buy a jeep, simple as.

No. A tractor is a poor choice as a commuter vehicle.

A Jeep is excellent for towing horse boxes.

Anyone who thinks either one is a car is an idiot.

• Advertisement

Who said they think it's a car? I assume your very biased against SUV's, for which reason i don't understand as there are alot worse than them on the market. Also it's late enough for my head to be working to argue my point. Until tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

everything considered (budget etc.) id go for the hilux surf although you might want to keep it commercial as you'll get hammered for road tax and vrt if you register it private,if you want to buy a 4x4 then buy one and feck the begrudgers

landydef wrote: »
    feck the begrudgers

I'm not a begrudger: I love expensive cars. I will pull into the hard shoulder to let a nice car by, if at all possible.

But I love cars: I don't see why someone who can afford a really nice car would spend the same money on a 4x4 which is, compared to the car, crap.

The car is obviously worse at crossing ploughed fields, but honestly, who cares? What's next, a fashion for BMW combine harvesters? The driving position is really high!

Buy a car, w@nkers!

in your opinion there crap,personally i like cars but i also love 4x4s and obviously so does the OP,therefore he should buy one and not care what anyone thinks of him!

Zube wrote:

Umm, don't think anyone said a jeep or a tractor is a car.
    Zube wrote:
    But I love cars: I don't see why someone who can afford a really nice car would spend the same money on a 4x4 which is, compared to the car, crap.

So just coz you love cars means everyone has to buy one?
    Zube wrote:
    The car is obviously worse at crossing ploughed fields, but honestly, who cares? What's next, a fashion for BMW combine harvesters? The driving position is really high!

Buy a car, w@nkers!

I would buy a car but for the reason I said...no car will take a 9 ft surfboard, and I'm not arsed strapping it on/off every time I leave/arrive/leave the beach.

in your opinion there crap,personally i like cars but i also love 4x4s and obviously so does the OP,therefore he should buy one and not care what anyone thinks of him!

Absolutely! And all the Sherman Tank fans should buy Sherman tanks, unless they listen to the Tiger Tank fans...

but none of them should be in a Motors forum, and none of them should be on our roads. Buy a tractor: drive in your own fields.

no car will take a 9 ft surfboard, and I'm not arsed strapping it on/off every time I leave/arrive/leave the beach.

God forbid you should have to lift your hands above your shoulders!

Like I said, buy a roof rack. 4x4 my arse.

if thats the angle you look at this then what do you find so appealing about "fast" cars,seriously the fastest you can drive in this country is just 120km/hr,why not buy a standard car,personally i couldnt give a **** if someone wants to buy a faster car fair play to them! who am i to tell anyone what they should or should not buy!

who am i to tell anyone what they should or should not buy!

So, when the fashion for BMW combine harvesters takes off, you'll be sitting behind one at 5 kph saying "I understand they are excellent with crops..."

My hole: nobody needs them, and nobody woud want them except that some fashion merchant has convinced a bunch of engineering know-nothings that 4x4s are cool.

I don't begrudge them the money these stupid machines cost, and I don't pity the fools for wasting it. I just wish they'd keep their tractors off the road where they belong (although most of them are rubbish off-road, too)

who said anything about combine harvestors?
    in that case who "needs" an BMW M3 why not buy a high spec 316 instead?
    seriously you want to get that chip off your shoulder man your blood pressure must be sky high, live and let live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Why not get an estate/touring car ? they will fit the 9 FT board inside easy
    Audi A4, BMW 318/320, suburu forester etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sorry should have added that I don't want to go off road or do any hauling or heavy work. I want it mainly for holding a 9 ft surfboard and heading down the country. Again all opinions appreciated.
    I'd go for an estate. The 4x4s you mentioned are all less capable on-road than cars, why arrive more tired than you have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you kidding?

The roads are clogged with 4x4s, half of which are front-wheel-drive imitations. .

How are the roads anymore clogged than if the same people were all driving fanily saloons?

My hole: nobody needs them,

Nobody "needs" a car that can go faster than 120k. Nobody "needs" a car bigger than can take their family and nobody "needs" a car that looks good.

Why doesnt every car company fold up and let the 1.4 Corolla be the only car sold in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I would buy a car but for the reason I said...no car will take a 9 ft surfboard, and I'm not arsed strapping it on/off every time I leave/arrive/leave the beach.

To be fair, a SWB 4x4 like you have on your suggestions list has even less hope of taking a surfboard than even a normal saloon!
    Hi-Lux is your best bet for the job you want from a handiness point of view. Completely overkill, but will work. A SWB Pajero is a silly suggestion, and a LWB Pajero or Freelander will only offer the same space as a much cheaper to run and buy estate.
    So in conclusion, either a pick up or an estate or a van.

Notch000 wrote: »
    Why not get an estate/touring car ? they will fit the 9 FT board inside easy
    Audi A4, BMW 318/320, suburu forester etc
    Anan1 wrote:
    I'd go for an estate. The 4x4s you mentioned are all less capable on-road than cars, why arrive more tired than you have to be?
    Biro wrote:
    To be fair, a SWB 4x4 like you have on your suggestions list has even less hope of taking a surfboard than even a normal saloon!
    Hi-Lux is your best bet for the job you want from a handiness point of view. Completely overkill, but will work. A SWB Pajero is a silly suggestion, and a LWB Pajero or Freelander will only offer the same space as a much cheaper to run and buy estate.
    So in conclusion, either a pick up or an estate or a van.

Yes I have been thinking about an estate also, and also posting a thread about the pros and cons of the various ones available :) In the list would be Merc estate, maybe E200 or 220 diesel, 318/320 touring, Audi A4 etc. So I may possibly start shifting my attention in this direction. Thanks for the suggestions, all much appreciated. Any thoughts on the best diesel | 1.8 or 2 ltr | 98 - 02 estate also appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Yes I have been thinking about an estate also, and also posting a thread about the pros and cons of the various ones available :) In the list would be Merc estate, maybe E200 or 220 diesel, 318/320 touring, Audi A4 etc. So I may possibly start shifting my attention in this direction. Thanks for the suggestions, all much appreciated. Any thoughts on the best diesel | 1.8 or 2 ltr | 98 - 02 estate also appreciated :)

buy a 2.5 nissan stageaq. based on a skyline these cars will break 400 hp with no worrys at all, piss all over anything on the road and fit brain cowan in the back... ( now thats saying something about the slack jaw'd foo' )

can be found rather cheaply in england with the r33 spec...

They are from experiance... with about 1k spent ( blow off valve, re-map , decent base upgrade of the plugs leads, filter etc maybe a boost controller too ) and absolute bullet... id say if set up correctly, it could tow anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Haven't heard of the Stagea, new to me. Looks good...anyone know about the emissions/road tax/VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would a D-segment estate fit a 9 foot board? I don't know if the 156 estate is any smaller than the A4 estate, but it doesn't look like it has a huge load space:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0-TS/1175611/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just get a van and be done with it

you can throw the board in, get changed in it and even sleep in it if needs be

There's a van going for 700 on adverts at the moment (not mine)

Advertisement