Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To live in the US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Apologies for hijacking your thread but I'm in a similar situation.

I have an IT degree and a related M.Sc. that I've just finished. I have a brother living in California (silicon valley) who I've visited a few times over the past 2 years and I love it there. There are so many more jobs there that I would love, I want to do something pretty specific and there's next to nothing like these jobs in Ireland.

I'm going to visit him in a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a job over there without a visa? I know a lot of people (my brother included) get work here with an American company and then transfer over there after a few years but I'd like to try to get an interview at least.

Do companies over there even consider offering an interview or a position to someone without a visa?

Missing Ireland isn't an issue for me. The only thing I'd miss is my parents and my only sibling is over there already, there's nothing else here that I couldn't live without. I've just finished college, I'm 22 with no job and no ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

le_girl wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking your thread but I'm in a similar situation.

I have an IT degree and a related M.Sc. that I've just finished. I have a brother living in California (silicon valley) who I've visited a few times over the past 2 years and I love it there. There are so many more jobs there that I would love, I want to do something pretty specific and there's next to nothing like these jobs in Ireland.

I'm going to visit him in a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a job over there without a visa? I know a lot of people (my brother included) get work here with an American company and then transfer over there after a few years but I'd like to try to get an interview at least.

Do companies over there even consider offering an interview or a position to someone without a visa?

Missing Ireland isn't an issue for me. The only thing I'd miss is my parents and my only sibling is over there already, there's nothing else here that I couldn't live without. I've just finished college, I'm 22 with no job and no ties.

You are in a pretty good position to be honest.

No company will give you a job without a visa but many may at least interview you.

Your best be is to try for a H1B, which is a work permit sponsored by the comany that is emplying you, it is valid for three years and renewable for another three, and you can apply for a green card as soon as you arrive on the H1B

You should do the follwing

1. Get a list of companies in the area that have the jobs you want and e-mail them your CV and cover letter explaining that you do not have a visa but would be interested in sponsorship.

2. Put your cv on Monster.com, if companies out trhere want you they may be will to sponsor you, there is no harm in putting your cv out there for companies to see.

Advertisement