Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Set: Big Brother + Zombies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I am biased because I'm obsessed with zombies but that looks pretty good. I see Davina McCall is in there as well, so hopefully we'll get an extended 5 minute scene showing her getting torn apart by zombies. Crap trailer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ummm... written by Charlie Brooker?! :eek:

That's more that enough for me.. looking forward to this!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Who's Charlie Brooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He was a writer for Brass Eye, I think.

To be honest, this looks like another zombie-by-numbers show, with Big Brother as the only new thing they're bringing to it (which in of itself is more a turn off for me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

Charlie Brooker is a legend - he (by day) is tv critic for the Guardian. He also hosts screen burn on BBC4/2. Wrote the brilliant TV Go home website, and co-wrote Nathan Barley with Chris Morris. His TV reviews are laugh out loud funny and if you get the chance to read the compilation book 'screen burn' do - it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Coming soon (prolly Halloween) a short series about zombies invading the Big Brother house. Here's hoping its all it should be.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Charlies Brookers Screenwipe was hilarous.

Thread merged.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Kevin Eldon makes an appearance which is always welcome, looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Saw an ad for this while watching the Peter Kay Xfactor thing, looks good looks from the Ad, 28 days later happens and the contestants in the big brother house are the only ones in Britain not infected, Think I even saw Davina running down a corridor as a Zombie :)
    Anyway links to two sites http://www.e4.com/deadset/flash.html & http://www.unseenscreen.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

AFAIK it is going out on the 27-31 October and is availible on DVD on 3 November.

For the BB fans there are cameos from Davina, and former housemates Aisleyne (bb7) Makosi (BB6) Eugene (bb6) Kinga (BB6) and Brian (BB8)

And for the zombie fans, there are well , Zombies.

More than likely NSFW

Davina McColl
    http://www.bigger-brother.co.uk/images/ds/dav_press1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

First 10 mins have been decent enough anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I have this Sky+ing...Will watch tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Watching it right now: it's alright, maybe a little too 28 Days Later for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Thought this was decent enough.. Didn't get into it really til halfway through, but enjoyed the 2nd half!

Didn't think it was too bad - quite good actually.. though the direction and acting was pretty woeful. The madcap fast-paced camera work was tiring, and the acting (from the lead actors especially) was pretty damn atrocious for the most part.

Still, nicely paced.. well written for the most part.. and some flashes of innovation in there (
    alright, the fire extinguisher death wasn't that inventive - see 'Irreversible' - but was still quite nicely done
    ).

Will be watching it for the rest of the week anyways!

Am suprised it didn't get a Channel 4 airing for the week... obviously wasn't that cheap to film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unlike Charlie Brooker, I'm old school when it comes to zombies and how they should be filmed, the jerky camera effect and pychotic editing style is rather annoying - I only spotted one zombie film reference in the dialogue - her face/she looks "like the Manchester Morgue" though I could have missed others.

Lashes of gore (for tv) and had this been screened on C4 rather than E4 there would probably be come complaints.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Didn't think it was too bad considering it's for TV and not cinema's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I liked it. Sure the camera work was a bit sketchy but then, it was plenty violent and Davina McCalls throat got ripped out.

Gillo wrote: »
    Didn't think it was too bad considering it's for TV and not cinema's.
    Yeah, the whole thing felt rather cinematic. And when compared to some British horrors as of late (e.g The Village), it was miles ahead of what's makes the average cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

Just watched it...

I think its billiant and I zombie obsessed.

The acting is fine for the most, the kelly one is actually very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I'm glad it was so good!

Honestly, I think the camera suited the fast paced action to be fair and the Zombie's look better than most I have seen in film's!

The setting was also amazing such as the dark camera room and all of them running for thier lives and also the death scene's were absolutely gruesome in the best way..

All in all for a TV mini series on a digital channel it is amzing, Good enough acting and good script..

Sorry I just cant think of a negative :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought it was great. One of the more interesting things on tv at the moment. Hopefully they will keep it to that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Overall I quite like this.

Although there were a couple of things I didnt' like
    * sprinters. I'm normally not a fan of sprinter zombies even though they were done well enough in this.
    * Inconsistencies in the zombies. i.e. sometimes people turned into zombies and sometimes people didn't. e.g. guy with van keys, girl that was killed in printer room.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

basquille wrote: »
    Didn't think it was too bad - quite good actually.. though the direction and acting was pretty woeful. The madcap fast-paced camera work was tiring
    Yeah, I was having trouble with that camera work. It's useful sometimes, but most of the time I find it makes it difficult to actually see what's going on.

I thought the acting was mostly OK. The lead one is pretty good, and the irritating guy in the house played that role well.
    Am suprised it didn't get a Channel 4 airing for the week... obviously wasn't that cheap to film.
    We shouldn't really fool ourselves on this one. Channel 4 have a big compound somewhere in the UK, with a house already completely set up as a studio and a large command centre next door. It sits idle for the bulk of the year, which is why channel 4 come up with inventions such as celebrity big brother and whatever else, in order to extract more money from it.

This is clearly just another excuse to use that compound, but I like it.
    The problem is that e4/channel 4 are going to play it every year at halloween for the next ten years.
    matrim wrote: »
    * Inconsistencies in the zombies. i.e. sometimes people turned into zombies and sometimes people didn't. e.g. guy with van keys, girl that was killed in printer room.
    I'm not sure if they are actual inconsistencies. If it's meant to be anything like 28 days later, then extensive injuries might "kill" the zombies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, i figured there is a certain level of damage which will stop a body from rising from the dead. Most of the zombies only had small enough wounds, iirc. (small enough compared to some of the other wounds that is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Will it be on channel 4 or the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I liked it, but I'm going to have to take a travel sickness tablet before the next one because the camera work was awful.
    Cool to see Davina as a zombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

seamus wrote: »
    We shouldn't really fool ourselves on this one. Channel 4 have a big compound somewhere in the UK, with a house already completely set up as a studio and a large command centre next door. It sits idle for the bulk of the year, which is why channel 4 come up with inventions such as celebrity big brother and whatever else, in order to extract more money from it.

This is clearly just another excuse to use that compound, but I like it.
    The problem is that e4/channel 4 are going to play it every year at halloween for the next ten years.

Actually, Dead Set isn't filmed in the actual Big Brother house or site, but a purpose built set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Linku wrote: »
    Actually, Dead Set isn't filmed in the actual Big Brother house or site, but a purpose built set.
    That surprises me :)

Advertisement