Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling in South America

Options
  • 12-09-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am planning on going travelling to South America at the end of November with a friend for just over 3 months. We are going to fly into it Rio De Janerio. At the moment the plan is very vague.

Between us we want to visit Angel Falls, hike the Inca Trail, (7 day trek), cycle on the worst road in the world from La Paz and visit some rain forest.

So as you can see it is quite vague.

What I am asking is does anyone have an ideas of what to do, I am more into adventure packed stuff and with a budget. Any advice on what to avoid and where to stay who best to contact etc etc. Basically any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've done a few of the things you want to see.
    If you're on a budget (and even if you're not) I would suggest going to Bolivia. Amazing country and you can see the jungle from there. Have you any interest in seeing the salt flats in Bolivia? Absolute highlight of my trip.
    I bussed it from Sao Paulo to Igauzu Falls, form there to Ascuncion in Paraguay, nothing much to see there, just a stop over before we got another bus to Bolivia. A friend of mine went north from Rio and did a pampas tour from Brazil to Bolivia. Her photos look better!
    The World's Most Dangerous road is just that. I didn't do it after hearing two Irish girls died doing it about 8 years ago. Lots of lads there laughed at that and went and did it (after cars were banned from the road - making it safer). Anyway two lads ended up in hospital. If you want to go for it - off you go.
    From Bolivia you can easily get a bus to Cuzco to do the trek. Book ahead - make sure you don't go in Feb when it's closed. If you don't book ahead you can also do alternative tours that are cheaper and some say a lot better, less touristy and you go through jungle.
    No idea how you plan on getting to Angel Falls, you could try get as far as Venezuela on a boat from Iquitos in Peru. Power to you if you can handle those boats! I would have loved to have done that but ran out of time. The Columbian airline seems to be the cheapest for flights in that region.
    Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How bout Rio-Sao Pauolo-Iguazu Falls-Buenos Aires-Salta-Salar de Uyuni-Potosi-La Paz-Rurrenabque-La Paz-Copacabana-Cusco-Arequipa-Huacachina -Lima.

Peru and Bolivia are amazing. Like the previous poster, Salar de Uyuni (Salt Flats) were a highlight for me, along with Iguazu Falls (I can't see how Angel Falls could top these but I stand open to correction).

Potosi = Highest city in World. Go into mines and see them work. Unreal.

Rurrenabaque = pampas trail on river in northern Bolivia. Alligators, Anacondas, Pirhana, and all other sorts. We actually swam in alligator infested waters and could see them looking at us but the dolphins protect ya. Long story.

Cusco = Machu Pichu and your Inca trail (book months in advance)

Arequipa = Cool town with Colca Canyon just outside (trek down, 2nd deepest canyon in world after the one beside it;deeper than Grand Canyon, amazing scenery)

Huachachina = Sandboarding and buggy ride in the desert. Stay around an oasis.Deadly craic altogether.

Lima = partying before you fly home.

I think the above intinerary would be cool for 3 months though you'd want to shift it.

Yup, that itinerary sounds great!! I forgot about Potosi, mines were freaky but really interesting. And Huacachina......incredible!! Have to go there, sandboarding was really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

dory wrote: »
    I've done a few of the things you want to see.
    If you're on a budget (and even if you're not) I would suggest going to Bolivia. Amazing country and you can see the jungle from there.

Dory do you go down the amazon when in Bolivia?were you able to find a company fairly handy that take you?

We'll have about 3 weeks to make our way up to cusco(inca trail) from Santiago so thought it might be a good idea to get in Bolivia then.Hopefully we'll have enough time,but I really wanna see the amazon

I went on a three day amazon trip from Santa Cruz in South East Bolivia. We didn't go very deep into the jugle to be honest. On the first night we were cold so the guide ran to the nearest hotel and came back with a blanket about 15 minutes later! It was good thought. See if you can get to a place called Ruerrequeba..... well it's something like that, starts with an R. I didn't get there but it's supposed to be great place to do a trip. We went in Feb which and the rains were so bad we couldn't get there, roads closed and all.

• Advertisement

yeah i'v heard that some companies don't go into the amazon in Feb due to rain.Thats the time we'll be there :(

Thanks for that dory

I went on a three day amazon trip from Santa Cruz in South East Bolivia. We didn't go very deep into the jugle to be honest. On the first night we were cold so the guide ran to the nearest hotel and came back with a blanket about 15 minutes later! It was good thought. See if you can get to a place called Ruerrequeba..... well it's something like that, starts with an R. I didn't get there but it's supposed to be great place to do a trip. We went in Feb which and the rains were so bad we couldn't get there, roads closed and all.

Rurrenabaque.

That's where we did the Pampas trail from. 3 days on the river, see alligators, go looking for anacondas etc. Well worth it.

1 hour flight from La Paz. Think 19 hours by bus. Not too sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Hey guys thanks for all your replies. I have just come into work this morning and am reading through them...

As I am a lad and love mountain biking I suppose I will probably cycle the most dangerous road ;) I will try and get in the salt flats, sounds like they are worth seeing and I had heard of Potosi mines but forgotten about them, must go see them. I am hoping to head south in Brazil and then West then back North and around to Venezuela. As I said a vague plan. My friend has more info on it.

This is defo food for thought and thanks again for replies :)

I have just been to USIT and AUSTRAVEL to see how it goes. There are options of arriving and winging it or just getting it all organised before I go. Problem with having it all organised is that it is quite expensive.

What have other people done and is it ok arriving there and winging it which was my original plan.

t5pwr wrote: »
    I have just been to USIT and AUSTRAVEL to see how it goes. There are options of arriving and winging it or just getting it all organised before I go. Problem with having it all organised is that it is quite expensive.

What have other people done and is it ok arriving there and winging it which was my original plan.

1. Don't organise anything before you go apart from the Inca trail. Just go with the flow. You will never have any trouble finding a hostel etc. Treks to the jungle, pampas and Salt Flats etc can all be organised when you arrive in the town from which you will be setting off.

2. Book the flights yourself. Go with lastminute.ie. The last two times I have gone travelling they have always provided the cheapest flights, assuming you can be a bit flexible with dates. Many people recommend trailfinders for flights. Lastminute.ie have beaten them each time in my experience. Just mess around with the dates and you will get a decent price.

3. Do not miss the Salt Flats.

• Advertisement

I had a flight from Ireland to Brazil (via Heathrow) and then Chile to Australia. I bought it with USIT, came to €1000 which I thought was ok, Chile to Aus is one of the most expensive routes. You can wing it, get buses etc. No need to book hotels etc. before you go. The only thing is this going too Venezuela business. I haven't looked into it, but it seems the kind of distance one would want to fly (from Rio). Might want to pre-book that one.

I had a flight from Ireland to Brazil (via Heathrow) and then Chile to Australia. I bought it with USIT, came to €1000 which I thought was ok, Chile to Aus is one of the most expensive routes. You can wing it, get buses etc. No need to book hotels etc. before you go. The only thing is this going too Venezuela business. I haven't looked into it, but it seems the kind of distance one would want to fly (from Rio). Might want to pre-book that one.

I am planning to fly to Brazil then from Chile to New Zealand then on the Oz and home through some part of Asia and stop over for a few days. Will have to get a 7 stop round the world ticket with a grand total of approx €2500 :eek: I will be gone for 6/7 months in total. South America is the first stop. All travel companies quoted pretty much the same price...

Ya, it's about right. Mine was €1000 to Aus, €250 to Malaysia (w/Air Asia), €70 to India (w/ Tiger) and €300 to Belgium on Jet. Then Ryanair home.
    I'd say you'd be better off doing it the way you have though because any of the small airlines I used could go out of business tomorrow. And you get more stop overs.
    All I can say is it's well worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I bought mine for 2300 back in May,( Dublin-Thailand, OZ,New Zealand,Fiji,Hawaii,San Fran, New York-Home )the price of flights has gone up with the fuel charges in the last year so you cant really compare them.

From what I have heard here its cheaper to look around but I went with TrailFinders as they gave me good advice and Im confident I wont get messed around at any stage.

I also heard about people just getting flights to OZ/New Zeland and buying cheaper flights to say South America etc back home from there but not sure how this is done without a working visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

t5pwr wrote: »
    I am planning to fly to Brazil then from Chile to New Zealand then on the Oz and home through some part of Asia and stop over for a few days. Will have to get a 7 stop round the world ticket with a grand total of approx €2500 :eek: I will be gone for 6/7 months in total. South America is the first stop. All travel companies quoted pretty much the same price...

Mine was 2250 or so in Trailfinders. Dublin-London-Delhi+Singapore-Sydney-Auckland+Christchurch-Santiago+Rio-home

- flight
    + overland

Ritchi wrote: »
    Mine was 2250 or so in Trailfinders. Dublin-London-Delhi+Singapore-Sydney-Auckland+Christchurch-Santiago+Rio-home

- flight
    + overland

got my 7 stop from trailfinders for around 2500 and went over the mileage limit cos of cape town and an internal oz flight.You're also paying for the advice and experience TF have and the security that you know nothing will go wrong on their end.I would always be looking for ways to save a few quid when travelling but when it comes to arranging 6 flights rtw then i would have alot more peace of mind going with TF.

Ritchie you went overland Dehli to Singapore?That sounds like a great adventure - how long did you take to get to singapore?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

got my 7 stop from trailfinders for around 2500 and went over the mileage limit cos of cape town and an internal oz flight.You're also paying for the advice and experience TF have and the security that you know nothing will go wrong on their end.I would always be looking for ways to save a few quid when travelling but when it comes to arranging 6 flights rtw then i would have alot more peace of mind going with TF.

Ritchie you went overland Dehli to Singapore?That sounds like a great adventure - how long did you take to get to singapore?

I haven't gone yet, flying out in three weeks and I can't wait. We have about 4 months to do get from Delhi to Singapore. Plan is a Delhi-Agra-Mumbai-Goa-Chennai(flight to)Bankgok-aroudn Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia, back to Bankgok, then travel down to Singapore via the islands and stuff. Not sure if we'll fit it all in, but sure it'll be good either way.

Yeah, we were pretty conscious of 29,000 mile limit too, we had a lot of jigging about to get it under, we figured if we want to go to Fiji, for example, we can buy a flight out of Oz and back.

Ritchi wrote: »
    I haven't gone yet, flying out in three weeks and I can't wait. We have about 4 months to do get from Delhi to Singapore. Plan is a Delhi-Agra-Mumbai-Goa-Chennai(flight to)Bankgok-aroudn Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia, back to Bankgok, then travel down to Singapore via the islands and stuff. Not sure if we'll fit it all in, but sure it'll be good either way.

Yeah, we were pretty conscious of 29,000 mile limit too, we had a lot of jigging about to get it under, we figured if we want to go to Fiji, for example, we can buy a flight out of Oz and back.

sounds like a great itinery.you'll see so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tiredy

The most dangerous bike ride is a MUST in Bolivia!! Think we went from La Paz to Coroico?? Bolivia is by far the most adventerous of all the countries i visited in South America. The mines in Potosi are an unbelievable experience!! GO TO BOLIVIA!!!

The Inca Trail needs to be booked at least 4 months in advance

Ihla Grande off Brazil is pretty cool too

We hadnt any hostels booked along the way. Every time we got off the bus (the overnight buses are excellent!) there was someone over nagging us to stay in their hostel! So dont worry too much about accom

Take advice from other travellers you meet along the way of the best places to visit
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I have to recommend Colombia... There are very few backpackers there... it seems to be mostly older people who've done alot of traveling. I dunno are people afraid of being kidnapped or what but going from Colombia - ecuador was crazy different.
    There's a trek you can do there in Tayrona to Ciudad Perdida ( the lost city) it was just found in the 70's, takes 3 days to get there (6 day round trip) It was a really cool trek had to cross a waist deep river 9 times in one day trying not to get swept away...i havn't done the inca trail myself but i've met people who said this was better. plus you get to stop off at a little coke lab in the jungle. (this won't be the only opportunity you'll have to do this)
    Macchu Pichu gets up to 1000 visitors a day whereas the lost city would be lucky to get 15.
    Other cool spots are Cartegena, Bogota, Medillin, and San agustin

Some info for ya!

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

The info on here is great. Thanks for all the replies and you have given me a lot to think about.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Flynn wrote: »
    I have to recommend Colombia... There are very few backpackers there...

Its pretty understandable, travelling in Columbia has been very problematic the past few years for Irish citizens. They were banned for a time, and now are grilled by immigration, are often asked to prove funds, exit from the country etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd recommend Colombia too. I wasnt there but heard wonderful reports of it from other backpackers.

OP bear in mind that if you go to Bolivia you will be there in the rainy season. This will make travel more difficult. And also the mountain -bike ride outside la paz is seemingly more dangerous and more expensive to do during the rainy season. I did it though, and it was one of the best things I did on the whole trip. But go with a reputable company.. (theres two)

Santiago -Cuzco and then over to bolivia might be a plan for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Hey cool htread lots of good info.
    Was just wondering how much money altogether would be needed for say, a 2 month trip? I would love to just see the highlights as 2 months is not long enough really... Bolivia seems cool.
    Also, would it be safe for solo female traveller?...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it would be fine as a solo traveller. Its quite easy to team up with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

What sort of budget would people suggest. I have been advised 2k for 2 months by 3 different people I know .

I will be spending my first month in Brazil(Rio & Iguaçu Falls ) for 8 days and Argentina for 3 weeks ( Buenos Aires, Puerto Madryn & Salta) and 2 weeks each in Boliva and Peru.

Hey cool htread lots of good info.
    Was just wondering how much money altogether would be needed for say, a 2 month trip? I would love to just see the highlights as 2 months is not long enough really... Bolivia seems cool.
    Also, would it be safe for solo female traveller?...
    Thanks
    TonyD79 wrote: »
    What sort of budget would people suggest. I have been advised 2k for 2 months by 3 different people I know .

I will be spending my first month in Brazil(Rio & Iguaçu Falls ) for 8 days and Argentina for 3 weeks ( Buenos Aires, Puerto Madryn & Salta) and 2 weeks each in Boliva and Peru.

Depends where you go and what you want to do.

I would say for Peru and Bolvia budget for 250 euro per week. In Argentina 300 euro per week and Brazil (I've not been to Brazil but by all accounts it's the most expensive country in South America) budget for more again.

These are rough guides. The one thing about travelling is that there's nothing worse than having to watch the pennies. Bring as much money as you can so that you can get on with enjoying the trip.

Some people may agree or disagree with the amounts I've posted but different people like to do different things when travelling. For example, I like to do lots of activities so on top of my weekly budget in Buenos Aires, I payed $80 for a skydive. Certain things like this will increase your pay out at certain times. Unforeseen illness is another thing that could set you back a few euro/dollars. Whatever else, GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!

Any questions about Peru or Bolivia in particular and what to do there feel free to pm me. Would be glad to help.

K.

Hi guys,

Some great advice so far. I have booked my trip today and will spend about 3 1/2 months in South America.

Few questions that came to mind.
    Can anyone recommend a good hostel in Rio and if it can be booked before I get there?
    Also I have to book some form of transport out of Brazil, is there an online place to book a bus or train? What would be the cheapest to take?

Last question, what is the best way to book the Inca trail? Can I book it online. Looks like I'll be doing it in late December or there abouts.

Thank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dicemeister

Hi,

a few people mentioned the difficulties of doing things in the wet season. I'm going to be in Bolivia/Peru just after the wet season (about late March). How quickly do things dry out and the mosquitoes start to die out. The main things i want to do that might be effected by the rain are the Inca Trail, Rurrenabaque pampas trail and the worlds most dangerous road. Has anybody done any of these just after the wet season and if so what were they like?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone have any answers to myself and Dicemeister?

Thanks

Advertisement