Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan's housing slump was scary, and ours could be too

Options
  • 11-09-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

cartoon_189134d.jpg

This chart records the traumatic property experience of Japan. A monumental boom in the late 1980s and early 1990s reversed dramatically and house prices fell by 76.4pc from the peak.
    This happened, not in a corrupt, tin-pot dictatorship, dependent on commodities for its sole exports, but in the world’s most sophisticated economy, with the most dynamic financial sector and a history as the world’s pre-eminent innovator.
    Could it happen here? Will Irish house prices fall back to levels seen in 2000/2001 or even to levels seen last century? Will our house prices drop by 70pc before they stabilise? These numbers need to be considered because there are plenty of reasons to be fearful.
    The similarities between both Ireland and Japan are striking; the main difference is that the Japanese controlled their own interest rates and thus were able to cut them to soften the blow. As EU inflation topped 4pc this week, it looks likely that we will be facing higher not lower rates for the foreseeable future. Not good.
    One similarity is the capacity for self-delusion and failure to face up to the magnitude of our crisis. It was the same in Japan 20 years ago. I remember the Japanese mania even reached Irish shores in the grim late 1980s.
    When I was in college, a particularly ambitious set of business students who used to wear suits to lectures (a true sign of recession) began taking private Japanese lessons. If you didn’t have a grasp of Japanese, or at least a smattering, their view was you might as well quit now and not even bother turning up for final year interviews.
    We sat there, petrified, as professor after professor told us about the threat of Japan to our careers (not that the class of 1988 appeared to have a particularly stellar future ahead of them in the first place).
    Every airport waiting lounge was stuffed with hardback tomes heralding the rise and rise of Japan and no economics exam was complete without the question: “Explain the fundamental economic reasons behind Japanese world economic domination”.
    Japan of the late 1980s was experiencing a huge asset-price boom and stocks were going through the roof, allowing Japanese companies to buy trophy assets abroad such as the Rockefeller Centre and MGM.
    Bulging Japanese banks dwarfed their European and US counterparts and threatened to dominate the City and Wall Street. Most spectacular of all was the Tokyo property market. In 1990, the land upon which the imperial palace in Tokyo was built was valued at more than the entire real estate of Canada, the second largest country in the world.
    When I read the silly valuations in the ‘Irish Times’ property section, particularly the “Take 5 at €400,000″ section, I am reminded of the Japanese Imperial Palace delusion. Clearly a two up, two down in Rialto is not worth the same as a seven-bedroomed house in the Dordogne. Now that prices are falling rapidly, the idea that pokey Irish houses are worth more than French chateaux will look increasingly daft.
    The other problem for Ireland is the sheer extremity of the housing boom. Irish house prices have risen 380pc since 1996, compared with 260pc in the UK — the next frothiest market. House prices fell in Germany and of course Japan in the same period. While in Switzerland — Europe’s technically most sophisticated economy — house prices only rose by 5pc in the 12 years since 1996.
    As a result of this binge, Ireland is the most indebted nation in Europe. Outstanding residential mortgage debt now amounts to 192pc of our total GNP! This is truly shocking and depressing when you consider that in Germany, outstanding mortgage debt only amounts to 3pc of GNP.
    Even in the US — where many disingenuous Irish commentators are suggesting this crisis originated — outstanding mortgage debt only accounts for 44pc of GNP. We are way out of whack with the rest of the world and our dilemma is very much of our own making. Think about the chart again. Have a long look and consider that in the past 10 years residential loans per capita in Ireland increased by 552pc. This is miring us in an ocean of debt. We got into debt five times faster than the average profligate American and, extraordinarily, 50 times faster than the parsimonious Germans.
    With our British neighbours, we managed to lose the run of ourselves completely. In the UK, where billions of Irish euros were spent in the past five years, there is carnage on the high street. According to the estate agents Allsops, the real weakness is being seen in the thousands of new docklands-style developments which mushroomed all over British cities.
    Many of these investors were Irish and most apartments are now trading at a 30pc to 40pc discount to prices originally paid in 2005. The British have the comfort of a falling exchange rate determined in London, we on the other hand are stuck to the Germans.
    This is why the personal debt comparisons with Germany are so instructive. The German has no property-related debt to speak of. This means that the average Gunter doesn’t really mind if European interest rates rise, as it will make no difference at all to his budget at the end of the month.
    In contrast, the average Paddy, who has seen his personal property indebtedness rise by over 500pc since the late 1990s, will be roasted by a rise in rates.
    So will Irish house prices follow the Japanese model and fall by 70pc from the peak? Maybe. Who knows? However, the similarities are too striking to be ignored.
    It is clear the Japanese market didn’t freeze, as during the slump there were still distressed sellers and opportunistic buyers who thought they had bought at rock bottom, only to see prices fall again.
    Overall, however, in the 13-year slump there was not one period of six months when any sustained rally was recorded.The lesson being, when things start falling, they drop like a stone.
    Take a look at the chart again. Not a pretty sight.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/07/02/japans-housing-slump-was-scary-and-ours-could-be-too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

mathie wrote: »
    Not only that but to quote Faceman at that time
    "The japan/ireland comparison has come up before and if memory served correct smmacarrick posted some details showing how neither markets are comparable like for like."

Time to stop all this Jetski. OK you can look up articles about housing mnarket. Please stop posting them unless relevant. This is your 10th posting in 10 days that quotes a newspaper article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Its true though I think, houses will come down to building cost value (which is 70K for a 3 bed semi) in a development.

You cannot export houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Its true though I think, houses will come down to building cost value (which is 70K for a 3 bed semi) in a development.

You cannot export houses

you cannot import houses

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

mathie wrote: »

I was just making sure you are reading the stories....

• Advertisement

ZYX wrote: »
    Not only that but to quote Faceman at that time
    "The japan/ireland comparison has come up before and if memory served correct smmacarrick posted some details showing how neither markets are comparable like for like."

Time to stop all this Jetski. OK you can look up articles about housing mnarket. Please stop posting them unless relevant. This is your 10th posting in 10 days that quotes a newspaper article

why dont you mind your own business you tourist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

which is 70K for a 3 bed semi in a development.

Where did you get that figure?

70k..... if the entire population emigrates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You cannot export houses

that's as funny as the people who though prices would never come down....

you can't build any house for 70k ... even with a free site .....

you stand corrected

untitled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jetski wrote: »
    you stand corrected

untitled.jpg
    I severely doubt it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jhegarty wrote: »
    that's as funny as the people who though prices would never come down....

you can't build any house for 70k ... even with a free site .....

This raises something that I've been thinking about a lot lately; how much does it actually cost to build houses these days?

I've heard varying estimates, from "roughly 1/3 of sale price" to "40k for a 500k apartment".

Anyone have any ideas? In particular, in a large development (say 400-600 apartments) how much does it cost the developer to make them, and what sort of profit are they looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Who is most affected by the falling house prices? Why is it such a big problem?

Just looking at myself:

Early twenties.
    Started full-time employment 10 months ago.
    Rent is low so get to save over half my wage.

When I go to buy somewhere (3-5 years maybe?) prices will be lower so happy days.

Don't think the average family is affected...they've bought a house for the long-term so they can't be bothered about the price of their house going down. They still have a house and can still pay the mortgage.

So is it just people who took out huge loans to buys houses and were planning to sell them when the prices went up more that are affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

This raises something that I've been thinking about a lot lately; how much does it actually cost to build houses these days?
    You can self build a decent house these days for €50k. You might have to pay a bit more if you wanted others to build it for you though.
    accensi0n wrote: »
    they've bought a house for the long-term so they can't be bothered about the price of their house going down. They still have a house and can still pay the mortgage.
    Ah see thats where you're missing it, decent family homes were exorbitantly expensive over the last eight years, so you can bet that most of the people who bought were a) specuvestors or b) FTBs looking for a step on the "ladder", a silly idea at best. Almost all of these people are under pressure to sell, depending on the time they bought, and that time stretches further back the further house prices fall.

why dont you mind your own business you tourist
    It is a public forum so is as much my business as anyone elses. Why don't you stop the personal stuff and post some 10 year old report on property prices in Iraq.

if its a public forum ill post what i want. :o

if you dont want to read it then dont click on the link

or maybe is that too complicated for you.

am i mistaken or is english not your first language by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

if its a public forum ill post what i want. :o

if you dont want to read it then dont click on the link

or maybe is that too complicated for you.

am i mistaken or is english not your first language by any chance?

Listen jetski a lot of people don't want to hear about how f***ed we may really be. Sure it is better to live in denial than face the truth your kids may be paying your mortgage.
    Anyway I don't see anything new in your OP that a lot of us doubters haven't been syaing for a number of years.
    If it happened in one of the world's biggest economies then it would surely happen and much worse to our piddly foreign investment dependent economy. So to me anyway your op was nothing new.

And will you please try and use the Shift key or Caps Lock ;)

If it's a public forum, I'll post what i want. :o

If you don't want to read it then don't click on the link,

or maybe is that too complicated for you?

Am I mistaken, or is English not your first language by any chance?
    Hmmm.Pot & kettle

better to live in denial i hear you say than face the truth your kids may be paying your mortgage? You have no one to blame but yourself for that....

"Anyway I don't see anything new in your OP that a lot of us doubters haven't been saying for a number of years"

If you’re so smart how did you end up with the possibility of your kids inheriting a debt? and besides i didn’t write it i only posted a link, and again if you don’t like it don’t read it, its not rocket science......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

A lot of people laughed at Mc Williams when he made his property crash predictions couple of years back, i wonder will those same people still be laughing if this prediction comes good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think people disagree with your posts jetski but more the fact that:

a) They are usually very old articles
    b) You post the same thing more than once
    c) They are just a copy/paste without any of your own opinion

Also, you are not free to post anything you want here, boards has rules and is moderated according to those rules, public or not.

odd articles? what are you on about. i dont write them, im posting a link to get the section going its normally dead. i dont post my opinion... so what get a life.

"You post the same thing more than once"
    NO i posed the same article twice and i only did that once.

If you dont like the articles dont read them...

In fairness he is just trying to keep people updated with news, breaking no charter rules, albeit with mixed results, and again, you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

A little more attention to dates and punctuation jetski and you'll have less complaints!

Dates maybe, but for anyone moaning about punctuation... grow up

I genuinly cant believe there are individuals moaning about someone posting news articles related to property on a property forum.

You made a comment about English not being my first language. If you are throwing dirt around about others use of English then you cannot blame people if they point out your poor English literacy skills. People in glass houses and all that.
    I genuinly cant believe there are individuals moaning about someone posting news articles related to property on a property forum.

Jetski, the problem is , they often are not news (by the time you post them)articles, and, they often are not related to Irish property.

Its not like running through it and sticking in a few line breaks is going to break your wrist, now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

50k for a house these days
    are you nuts even a 2006 prices you wouldn't get it at that and that's doing everything from sweepig the floors to foundations to walls to 1st/2nd carpentry to roofing to landscaping
    but then again if you can get me a house built for 50k materials send a pm and we can do buisness ill still give you a 10k dropsie for yerself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Have to agree with posts on jetski. I read propertypin most days and jetski posts same articles sometimes weeks later, but maybe people reading this forum don't keep up to date and these articles are news to them, but anyone considering buying should really be doing their research and thepropertypin really is best resource where every article is analysed and truth sought.

the GALL wrote: »
    50k for a house these days
    are you nuts even a 2006 prices you wouldn't get it at that and that's doing everything from sweepig the floors to foundations to walls to 1st/2nd carpentry to roofing to landscaping
    but then again if you can get me a house built for 50k materials send a pm and we can do buisness ill still give you a 10k dropsie for yerself
    If a man can build a Tudor castle for £50,000, its not that hard to build a more regular abode for less. This stuff really isnt that hard, I know lots of people who have done self builds, although navigating such complex tasks as sweeping the floors might present a bit of a technical challenge only a qualified Irish builder would be able to slack off during, I admit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

accensi0n wrote: »
    Who is most affected by the falling house prices? Why is it such a big problem?

Just looking at myself:

Early twenties.
    Started full-time employment 10 months ago.
    Rent is low so get to save over half my wage.

When I go to buy somewhere (3-5 years maybe?) prices will be lower so happy days.

Don't think the average family is affected...they've bought a house for the long-term so they can't be bothered about the price of their house going down. They still have a house and can still pay the mortgage.

So is it just people who took out huge loans to buys houses and were planning to sell them when the prices went up more that are affected?

The thing that the dreaded vested interests always say is that if you're not planning to sell your house and that you can afford to pay the mortgage, that it's happy days. I disagree. For most people, paying the mortgage is a big deal. Even €100 or €200 extra in their pockets each month would be more than welcome.

Advertisement