Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Phones On Motorways

Options
  • 10-09-2008 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

On September 24th, 125 km of HQDC technically becomes motorway. But although most of these sections now have the blue signage, solid yellow hard shoulder and lay-bys removed... I've noticed the emergency phones are missing. Are they going to be added?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BluntGuy wrote: »
    On September 24th, 125 km of HQDC technically becomes motorway. But although most of these sections now have the blue signage, solid yellow hard shoulder and lay-bys removed... I've noticed the emergency phones are missing. Are they going to be added?

Somehow I think not. The Lay Bys haven't been removed between Cashel and Cahir on the M8 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With mobile phone penetration in excess of 100%, fixed emergency phones have limited use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

But they should be in place. Not everyone has a mobile phone, not everyone's mobile will work.

It's also much easier to figure out where people are when they use the emergency phones, especially if the person phoning is a tourist who might not be able to speak English very well.

Aren't they a legal requirement anyway?

BTW, the lay-bys will probably be reserved for Garda use only (for doing speed-checks mostly) as was done on the M6 between Kinnegad and Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I believe emergency phones are very useful and are one of the elements, that help to make motorways safer than ordinary roads.

I know that most people will have mobiles, but there needs to be a redudancy in the system. What if your phone isn't working, isn't charged, you don't have credit, or you simply don't have a mobile? There has to be backup provided for all those cases.

Anyway, as stated above: emergency phones ARE a legal requirement on both Irish and British motorways.

I don't think the government have any plans to do away with them either, because they just replaced the M4 motorway phones. So I dunno, in this case, it must just be laziness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Don't worry.

I'm sure that someone high up in the NRA reads this forum regularly. ;)

No doubt they'll be sorted before the 24th.

• Advertisement

Don't worry.

I'm sure that someone high up in the NRA reads this forum regularly. ;)

No doubt they'll be sorted before the 24th.

I hope so...

Perhaps I'm being too sceptical, and by September 24th they will in place. In that case, I'll shut up. But if they're missing come that day, they will feel my e-mail wrath...

You can't just overlook things like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't hold your breath for 24th Sept of this year. The emergency phones on the M7 were only installed this year and the plastic covers are still on so I guess they're not working yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath for 24th Sept of this year. The emergency phones on the M7 were only installed this year and the plastic covers are still on so I guess they're not working yet.

Which section? The first section of the M7 opened 25 years ago, and I'm pretty sure emergency phones were in place on that for as long as I can remember. Certainly the Newbridge and Portlaoise bypasses have had them since the day the opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The bit around Newhall.
    I'm nearly sure they installed phones 'cause they dug up the soft-verge at the time they re-surfaced the road and I never noticed phones there before :confused:.

Well the M8 Fermoy Bypass was built with emergency phones as well, so I guess they are installed with the road.

I'm sure I've seen the M7 phones as well...

• Advertisement

I've just been informed by the NRA that emergency phones will not now be added to former HQDCs until "towards the end of the year".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Translation: Long finger :(

Although with the proliferation of mobile phones thesedays I'm not sure emergency phones are all that relevant, but if we're supposed to have them we damn well should have them.

They are necessary because mobile or not, motorway corridors are not exactly landmark friendly. If I broke down on the M8 I'd be fine because I would happen to know where I was. On the M6, however, I'd be quite clueless unless I had noted the exit numbers as I passed by (then again, I do tend to notice these things. Most people wouldn't). The NRA told me last winter that the phones would be installed during summer 2009. So yes, long finger.

No service areas and no emergency phones. Bad form, NRA.

They are necessary, and should've been installed as part of the redesignation package.

It's rather unacceptable to simply fling them off the "to-do" list, I don't think phones are expendable.

But given the current economic circumstances, I do have a small degree of understanding.

That said, part of me doubts that it was ever going to happen anyway.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I noticed on the M8, there are variable distances between the phones and as far as I could see, no markings on the road to direct pedestrians toward the nearest one.

On Autoroutes, there are markings on the hard shoulder every 400m or so pointing toward the nearest sos phone, so if you break down between them you know the quckest way to get help.
    The Autoroutes also have Km posts and every structure and power line crossing also has a chainage distance to let you know where they are.

if you break down on a motorway here, you have no idea of where you are.

markers to determine location or even chainage distances stenciled on the hard shoulder are very cheap to install, as a quick fix solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The Autoroutes also have Km posts and every structure and power line crossing also has a chainage distance to let you know where they are.

if you break down on a motorway here, you have no idea of where you are.

markers to determine location or even chainage distances stenciled on the hard shoulder are very cheap to install, as a quick fix solution.

Chainage posts have started appearing on Irish motorways. So far the only sections I've seen them on are:
    1. The PPP section of the M1. These are every 100m, with zero being the M1/M50 junction.
    2. The M50 south of Sandyford. Again, every 100m, and the zero point appears to be the DPT.
    3. The M8 Fermoy bypass. These are every 500m, with the zero point being the Cork end of the N8.

So for the present, it seems that only PPP sections have these markers, but presumably they'll be rolled out across the network. I have a photo of one of the ones on the M1 if anyone's interested.

/csd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought this deserved a new thread based on how excited some certain posters here (:p) will be with this news:

Motorway telephone bases have been installed on the redesignated sections of the M6.

I've not driven any of the other redesignated sections in the past week or so, but I assume this is the start...

I love you for telling me this. :D:D:D

That is all.

^^ Probably shoulda sent him a PM.

In all seriousness, this is excellent news.

Do you have any insight to offer as to why/how this ended up happening? Will the other redesignated stretches receive the same treatment?

I'll keep an eye out on the M8 tommorow, but is it possible it's just the M6 getting these?

• Advertisement

It's good news alright, but do they not feel a little foolish installing these things on a road that opened only a few months ago? Very much interested also in seeing if these appear on the M9 in the next few weeks, as well as on the M8.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the redesignated M6 opened in 2006 Furet.

MYOB wrote: »
    Some of the redesignated M6 opened in 2006 Furet.

Is Athlone to Ballinasloe getting them?

I've noticed that there are new phones on the (completed section of the) M50, still covered in orange sheeting.
    They weren't there a couple of weeks ago.

I thought this deserved a new thread based on how excited some certain posters here (:p) will be with this news:

Motorway telephone bases have been installed on the redesignated sections of the M6.

I've not driven any of the other redesignated sections in the past week or so, but I assume this is the start...

That explains the roadworks I saw Tuesday evening, I was wondering what they were doing!

Furet wrote: »
    Is Athlone to Ballinasloe getting them?

I, um, can't remember. I drove the entire length of the M6 westbound in a mad rush but only from Athlone east on the way back.

I, um, can't remember. I drove the entire length of the M6 westbound in a mad rush but only from Athlone east on the way back.

I see...I wonder if they'll do the whole lot now that they're at it, or if it will be done in a more piecemeal fashion. I also wonder if they'll install new phones on the unopened sections of the M9. They should appear a few weeks prior to opening if so.

Furet wrote: »
    I see...I wonder if they'll do the whole lot now that they're at it, or if it will be done in a more piecemeal fashion. I also wonder if they'll install new phones on the unopened sections of the M9. They should appear a few weeks prior to opening if so.

Hopefully people will keep an eye out. I'm driving the whole length of the M8 tommorow, so I'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

none on the m7 or m20(limerick bypass) yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I do know that Elmore, who often work with Roadbridge, got the contract for the phones on the Cullahill-Cashel scheme.

Advertisement