Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Travel Destinations???

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Booked my j1 last week
    cork -> heathrow -> LAX
    bus LA to Ventura (just outside Oxnard)
    job sorted, accommodation next on the to-do list
    quiet enough spot (buddy was there last year) but regular dollar buses to IV, SB, LA and outlet centres so happy days :D

Roll on summer '11 ;)

Hope the exchange rate picks up a bit by june !!!

Flying home Sept 28th, finished work 7th sept, 3 weeks to get across america to catch flight home from new york :)

Couchsurfing maybe ???

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LimkUL

Myself and two lads headin San Fran the 25th May - 31st Aug booked and all! Thinkin bout accom in Berkeley, Anyone else headin San Fran?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

4 or 5 Girls looking to head to Chicago!! Anyone else going?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

youngb wrote: »

Me! Flying DUB-ORD on 28th May with Aer Lingus and returning on 7th September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

+ 2! Myself and the girlfriend headin. Flyin out the 26th May with British Airways, back on the 16th August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

Who ye all using to book with? Say it or go4less im thinking of? Hoping to book it all next weekend!

I booked with go4less. Total is €1060

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭epiphony

Who ye all using to book with? Say it or go4less im thinking of? Hoping to book it all next weekend!

We decided to go with Go4Less, they have pretty cheap flights and are dead sound. Also, they help organise all these little extras for you like an American ATM Card, Sim Cards and all that jazz.

We're heading to San Fran on the 27th of May and then stopovers on the way home in Chicago and New York City.

Anyone else heading any of these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

Me! Flying DUB-ORD on 28th May with Aer Lingus and returning on 7th September :D

+2!! Flying out June 1st and literally cannot wait!!! so excited already its beyond ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Anybody know if Chicago or Boston are any use? I wanna head to either of these places but few mates seem destined for the west coast and I wouldn't like to go there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TMCK

I booked with go4less. Total is €1060
    Hey, is that with flights and everything included? :)

TMCK wrote: »
    Hey, is that with flights and everything included? :)

Yep, that is the total price for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

darragh16 wrote: »
    Anybody know if Chicago or Boston are any use? I wanna head to either of these places but few mates seem destined for the west coast and I wouldn't like to go there!

are they any use? they are two major cities in the united states what do you think? anywhere you go is going to be as good as you make it

i cant imagine a good reason besides cost for discounting the west coast though, as a j1er california is pretty much ideal although not the best place to be if your trying to escape the irish for the summer

if you can afford it you wont regret going with your mates to the west coast

if you cant then i hear chivago is an amazing city and iv lived in boston and can confirm its also amazing but i didnt go there with any irish or hang out with any irish while i was there so i might have been doing it slightly different to how you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kildare2011

Hey, myself and 3 other kildare girls are heading to ocean city the end of may for 3months, looking for people to share accomodation with, anyone interested ???

add me to get in contact!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1641144234

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm booked in now for Dublin-London-New York on June 5th and New York-London-Dublin on September. I'm gonna get onto to college though about start back dates, I could extend my trip a bit longer I suppose!

I'm staying in New York City, most likely Brooklyn. Going by myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Andy.mc

Hey i was wondering if people would recommend going to an east coast city like NY or if going somewhere like California would be better. whats the general thoughts on this, where is there more jobs ect/ where is there more craic to be had?? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DéiseFitz

Went to Wildwood, NJ last summer, 3 hours south of New York. Great spot to be for a summer, good buzz around and very easy to come across jobs. Most people get job working in t-shirt shops, sweet shops or restaurants along the boardwalk. Would definitely reccomend it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Andy.mc wrote: »
    Hey i was wondering if people would recommend going to an east coast city like NY or if going somewhere like California would be better. whats the general thoughts on this, where is there more jobs ect/ where is there more craic to be had?? cheers

NY was extremely difficult to get work in. Took me a month, and I ended up in high end retail thanks to three years experience. The pay can be low if you don't have experience.

Cheaper to live in Brooklyn or Queens, and there's loads of great bars in both. I went to NY by myself but ended up meeting a load of other J1s and Americans to hang out with. Only problem was that we were all so spread out, Bklyn, Queens, Manhattan, even Staten Island.

Very expensive to go clubbing or do anything really in Manhattan, but some of the best bars I went to were in Brooklyn. $2 beers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yepyepandyep

I was in Ocean City for 3 months just this summer. I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you are over there early you can have any number of jobs. great beach, great buzz, strict on id for underage but there is house parties every night of the week. I lived with 16 other lads so our house was busy but everyone in the house had the time of there lives. Few hours from NYC, aatlantic city etc. I will be definately going back next summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tina90

Hi guys, me and my friend are thinking of going to Wildwood this summer but we cannot head out until mid-June, do any of ye know what the chances are of us getting jobs heading out that late? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement