Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Amstell - love him or loathe him?!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭

They're two very distinct types of people.. people who like Simon Amstell and people who downright hate him.

Which group are you in? I couldn't stand the sight of him on that T4 muck but he really has came into his own presenting '..Buzzcocks'. Have been watching a load of repeats on Dave (my favourite channel on Sky Digital by a mile.. along with Film4) and the guy really is brillant. He's very witty and seems to get in some much crueler jibes towards the panel guests than Mark Lamarr ever could.

But people seem to be really divided on him..

Some best bits from YouTube:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Same as you. I hated him on T4 and wasn't sure if he could live up to Lemar's standard on Buzzcocks but he is brilliant on it. Has a habit of sticking the knife in in a very innocent way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Ah I love him, he is immense. I very rarely watched NMTB when Mark hosted as I hated it then. He has brought the fun back to it. Just watch this episode (3 Parts) he rips the piss out of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Used to hate him but he has had some brilliant put-downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

he's brilliant on buzzcocks, perfect replacement for Lamarr.

I preferred Lamarr though in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i love the episode where preston walked off

simon was brilliant on the episode

any word of a new series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I just love the Anthony Costa episode. He really does take the piss out of him. Can't wait for the new series!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't really watch Buzzcocks (for the kids these days) but Amstell does liven things up with a neat combo of faux "who me?" and witty put downs.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I love him in Buzzcocks. My favourite is the episode with the lead singer from the Towers of London - "I d1ck on the Sex Pistols" - what a line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

He is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He's pretty good. That special "best of" ep he does with Alan Yentob is must watch TV I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Absolutely hilarious. He used to make Pop World watchable. Always slagging off the guests there too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

I liked him reading out Lamarr's 'leftover' jokes.
    "Patrick Kielty.....what a cock"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I cant stand him. He can be witty but more often than not, he's incredibly irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

He is witty, there is no doubt but he still should be thrown off a cliff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think he's great. He says the meanest things while looking so innocent. I never saw him on popworld, but I remember him being mean to the kids on Nickelodeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

iseegirls wrote: »
    I just love the Anthony Costa episode. He really does take the piss out of him.

He doesn't take the piss out of him, he just bullies him. He was an absolute cock on that episode, Costa came out of it looking really good. He took a ridiculous amount of slagging well and Amstell came out looking like an absolute prat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

He is fantastic on Buzzcocks. Never seen him on TV outside of that though.

Your video is not available but I think it was this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

Simon amtell is a genius! His put downs are brilliant....especially on the donny episode!!! And he was hilarious with Amy Winehouse!! They are filming the next series on the 23rd of september! Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Eagerly awaiting for someone to chin him one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I LOVE him! No better cure for a hangover than watching reruns eating rasher sandwiches! I've seen every episode 3-4 times and still laugh everytime! Was going to fly to the UK to catch one of his live shows but couldn't make it in the end.
    I love how he asked Britney if she ever licked a battery. I mean, wtf? LMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He's an obnoxious twat.

Yeah that's it Mossy Monk. Strange though the video works fine for me, must be a regional thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

I think he's a funny git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

He's hilarious! I've only seen a few Buzzcocks episodes where Mark LeMarr presented so I don't know which of them is better. But Amstell is a fantastic presenter.

I love how he always picks on one of the guests more than the others - like poor Anthony Costa! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

He's hilarious! I've only seen a few Buzzcocks episodes where Mark LeMarr presented so I don't know which of them is better. But Amstell is a fantastic presenter.

I love how he always picks on one of the guests more than the others - like poor Anthony Costa! :D

I thought LeMarr was alright. But the thing with him is that you almost always know what his joke will be before he says it. It's usually sarcastic and nasty and he says it in a sarcastic nasty way. Whereas with Amstell some of his jokes come completely left of field. And while many of his jokes are sarcastic and nasty he says it in such a sweet and innocent way which makes it all the funnier.

My favourite episode is the one with Donny Tourette. The ones with Preston and John Barrowman are fantastic too.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The guy cracks me up. I just love the way he takes people down a few notches, who deserve it. Occasionally I think they don't deserves but hey :)

iguana wrote: »
    My favourite episode is the one with Donny Tourette.

That was on the night before last. I almost pissed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That was on the night before last. I almost pissed myself.
    Yep.. twas hilarious!

"I could dick on The Sex Pistols!"

:D

• Advertisement

ROFL "Bill is a professional comedian, you wont win!" :D

Advertisement