Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yeah you'd think it would be top of the list, I guess we'll have to wait and see. If there's money for getting the planning going again then I won't be so downbeat, the money for actually building the M20 won't be required for another 3-4 years minimum anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

Any progress on the Cork - Limerick motorway in the governments capital investment announcement today? Much needed investment for the Munster region!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just read on the metro north thread, that there was no funding for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I just read on the metro north thread, that there was no funding for this!

Wonderful... the wait continues. I guess George Hook will have to continue with the "serious tailbacks in Buttevant" traffic updates every evening!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If this is being done as a PPP hopefully that's why it was left out as all of the schemes announced today are government funded, with the three PPPs, one in construction and two almost ready to start being thrown in to make the roads programme look better.

Mallow relief road is of little benefit if it's just going to dump all the traffic at the Dairygold roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

At least the NRA have come and re-painted a few arrows and lines in and around Mallow over the last day or so.. More deaths, economic stagnation and traffic jams between the 2nd and 3rd biggest cities in the state.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

a motorway to limerick and cork could impact greatly on dublin, they are not stupid. We can only hope the voters make their views known,
    Listening to radio you would think Limerick does not exist, ie widening of N7 and conversion to Motorway will speed up time between Cork and Dublin/Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

swoofer wrote: »
    a motorway to limerick and cork could impact greatly on dublin, they are not stupid. We can only hope the voters make their views known,
    Listening to radio you would think Limerick does not exist, ie widening of N7 and conversion to Motorway will speed up time between Cork and Dublin/Belfast.

The section being upgraded is the M7. It is already a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Seán Sherlock has tweeted that there will be a relief road for Mallow.

https://twitter.com/seansherlocktd/status/648825492922060800

Unfortunately I'd say that means there won't be any good news on the M20 :(.

If they are building a relief road for Mallow that means the M20 is officially dead. But then again most of the items on this latest development plan will never get off the engineers computer. To quote a former Labour Party leader "sure isn't this the sort of thing you say before an election".

touts wrote: »
    If they are building a relief road for Mallow that means the M20 is officially dead. But then again most of the items on this latest development plan will never get off the engineers computer. To quote a former Labour Party leader "sure isn't this the sort of thing you say before an election".
    Well the northern relief road was always part of the plans wasn't it? .. To link the motorway with traffic coming from west of Mallow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

a motorway to limerick and cork could impact greatly on dublin, they are not stupid.

Zzzzz.......:rolleyes:

Virtually all the key ministers making the decisions are from outside Dublin.

Deedsie wrote: »
    The section being upgraded is the M7. It is already a motorway.

The journalists reporting this were often oblivious to this - I heard endless references to the "Naas Road" being upgraded :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

If you think a minister makes these decisions you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

If you think a minister makes these decisions you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Yes I think Ministers make decisions on the timing and priority of schemes...today's announcements are a classic example of this.

Or is it just coincidence that projects repeatedly get selected, James O'Reilly style, in or to benefit Ministerial constituencies?

The idea that Civil Servants take decisions in the run up to an election that might unfavourably impact on their Minister...now that is where the cloud cuckoos live! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged

When you look at the road infrastructure around North and West Cork its bordering on ridiculous - even the city is far from finished but almost everywhere you look its extremely poor single carriage dangerous roads.

Just take North Cork.

Firstly the main Cork/Limerick road where traffic is allowed cross other traffic driving at 60mph at several locations across its length - the traffic merges into two roundabouts in Mallow where a single lane takes every single car driving N/S, not to mention the fact that the main roundabout also takes all traffic heading W/E.... then traffic is forced to drive through Buttevant and Charlevile main streets

Take the Mallow/Fermoy road (two large towns), yes recent realignment works improved things but all traffic has to drive through Mallow/Fermoy towns and through the villages of Ballyhooly and Castletownroche.

The main Fermoy - Mallow - Killarney road - single carriage with traffic needing to drive through Rathmore... very limited passing opportunities.

The main Fermoy - Mallow - Tralee road - single carriage with traffic needing to drive through Boherbue, Kiskeam, Ballydesmond, Scartaglen, Castleisland... very limited passing opportunities.

Mallow, the crossroads of Munster alright..... but please bring your horse and cart for which the roads were built for...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

irishfeen wrote: »
    Mallow, the crossroads of Munster alright..... but please bring your horse and cart for which the roads were built for...

Count yourselves lucky in the plush Golden Vale, in the rest of the country the roads were built for Ass and Cart.

Count yourselves lucky in the plush Golden Vale, in the rest of the country the roads were built for Ass and Cart.
    Its just a pitty the Dairygold trucks coming out of the new plant in Mallow will be pulling out directly about 100m from a roundabout taking all traffic from Limerick, Cork, Mallow town & Tralee/Killarney... not to mention those from other towns in N.Cork - Kanturk, Newmarket, Doneraile etc.....

Ah it will be good craic for us in the area, at least we'll be paying the extra VAT and duty on fuel while queuing in traffic for that new Metro North thing in Dublin.... you'd never know eventually they might give us an upgrade from dial-up as a token of appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

touts wrote: »

Fine Gael have delivered on all of their promises in the last election. They even promised Irish Water and delivered on it, but people have short memories and / or don't vote based on promises they don't like, just on promises they do like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Zzzzz.......:rolleyes:

Virtually all the key ministers making the decisions are from outside Dublin.

Except the key minister in this case, Paschal O'Donohue.

Paranoia aside, it isn't really beyond the bounds of possibility that a motorway between Cork and Limerick would be a serious economic threat to various vested interests, some within those two cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Everything focused on the capital as usual.

What percentage of the population of the country live in the Dublin Urban area? 20-25%. How much went on projects in Dublin? I'd say 80-90%.

Fair? No

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M20 is an interurban. It's more of an interurban than the M11 or the M3. How it hasn't been done, or how the M18 has had 4 schemes (and been completed) ahead of it is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Everything focused on the capital as usual.

What percentage of the population of the country live in the Dublin Urban area? 20-25%. How much went on projects in Dublin? I'd say 80-90%.

Fair? No

Population of the Greater Dublin Area is 40% of the population and growing. The government are currently building a motorway from Gort to Tuam bigger than any road project announced today for a county that is 4% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Population of the Greater Dublin Area is 40% of the population and growing. The government are currently building a motorway from Gort to Tuam bigger than any road project announced today for a county that is 4% of the population.

The population is growing in the Dublin area because the investment is being directed that way.

If you provide better and suitable infrastructure in other parts of the country, then there'll be an economic and demographic shift towards those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

But isn't this about the M20? The most important motorway in Ireland outside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's inexplicable that not even a portion of the M20 is to be progressed in the short to medium term! It's actually an outrage at this point! The fact that this is not deemed worthy of funding is simply disgraceful!

I've been listening to and reading blatantly dishonest bulls*it all day from Donohoe and some local government TDs about a €1 Billion price tag and how they couldn't possibly proceed with such an enormous commitment! That figure is entirely bogus and they know it!

It almost appears at this stage that the M20 project is being deliberately maintained as a prohibitively large scheme to ensure it does not get progressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

You do realise the M7 main destination is limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I think FF would build this if they were in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Irish_rat wrote: »

Well when they were in power and the country was awash with money, they did nothing.

I genuinely cannot understand what the logic is in not even providing money for re-doing the planning. Maybe (hopefully?) there will be some sort of announcement before the election, it's almost as if they don't want votes in Cork, though I suppose they will argue that Cork is getting four schemes (Dunkettle, M28, Macroom/Ballyvourney and Mallow relief road).

I'd gladly have lost the Mallow relief road for doing something about the M20 instead. I'm 27 at the moment and at this rate I'll be lucky if it's done by the time I'm 40 :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Irish_rat wrote: »

I'd say it will be in their manifesto now that FG/Lab have left it off their one (because that's what it was) yesterday.

**** all chance they will build it if they come to power though.

Advertisement