Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Great stuff. Ahead of time too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They may improve the rail options too, possibly with a new section of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭pajoguy

marno21 wrote: »
    Great stuff. Ahead of time too.

Will route options be outlined at this stage?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pajoguy wrote: »
    Will route options be outlined at this stage?

Yes. Originally scheduled for December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Will be very interesting to see if the route selection from a few years ago is basically copied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Will be very interesting to see if the route selection from a few years ago is basically copied.

It will indeed, bearing in mind that the Study Area has been expanded this time around. Fig 2 here shows the changes (blue cross hatch). The most significant change is the eastward expansion at the northern end. At the southern end the main change is an expansion by a considerable distance towards Cork city centre. And while these changes were presumably intended to facilitate the inclusion of the rail option in the study, it will be interesting to see if the change has any other implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The southern end, I think, isn't largely off what the old plans had. That involved a start just before the Blarney junction. Now, its a shame the southern end is as it is... it confirms they aren't trying to use the same TEN-T Adare bypass "Its a road to Foynes" trick to deliver the eastern side of the Cork North Ring Road.

It means for sure that for years we'll have the titanically stupid setup where M20 traffic has to potter through Ballyvolane and Blackpool to get to the M8 and N25. Its a terrible oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The southern end, I think, isn't largely off what the old plans had. That involved a start just before the Blarney junction. Now, its a shame the southern end is as it is... it confirms they aren't trying to use the same TEN-T Adare bypass "Its a road to Foynes" trick to deliver the eastern side of the Cork North Ring Road.

It means for sure that for years we'll have the titanically stupid setup where M20 traffic has to potter through Ballyvolane and Blackpool to get to the M8 and N25. Its a terrible oversight.

That R635 (North Ring Road) between the Old Youghal Road junction and the Ballyhooly Road junction has deteriorated to a dirt track due to neglect. A person would think it wasn't part of any future planned connecting route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

niloc1951 wrote: »
    That R635 (North Ring Road) between the Old Youghal Road junction and the Ballyhooly Road junction has deteriorated to a dirt track due to neglect. A person would think it wasn't part of any future planned connecting route.

It was recently resurfaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

:):):), 'twas loooong overdue.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    :):):), 'twas loooong overdue.

We might see the next resurfacing after the Northern Ring Road and M20 are done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I didn't know this.
    I might start using it again: I normally use Banduff road.

I didn't know this.
    I might start using it again: I normally use Banduff road.

From the crossroads on the Ballyhooly road right up to the tinkers cross junction. Was done bar a small section of it, I didn’t take notice as to whether it was completed however. The Banduff Road is ok for now also, but there is construction traffic on it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

PDF: https://www.pinpointcloud.co.uk/nm20virtualconsultation/Resources/html/banners.pdf

Green + amber please. The 2010 M20 routing is quite sensible imo. It reuses the Croom BP, New Mallow Road and also uses some extra wide land reservation near Buttevant.

Should they decide to reuse the 2010 corridor, there is a lot of work done especially on the southern part. This could be incorporated into the new project and used to accelerate it.

Junctions at Croom (R516 - already there), O'Rourkes Cross (R518), R515 west of Charleville, Ballyhea (old N20), Buttevant (R581), Mallow (N72/N73), Mallow South, and around Rathduff make sense. I presume a MSA will be incorporated into the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

They haven't stated clearly whether both one of the rail and one of the road options will be implemented. I expect this is so the rail option can be fudged with an 'improved service' that'll be delivered as part of another project.

cgcsb wrote: »
    They haven't stated clearly whether both one of the rail and one of the road options will be implemented. I expect this is so the rail option can be fudged with an 'improved service' that'll be delivered as part of another project.

I would imagine a motorway and improved rail service between Cork and Limerick via Limerick Junction.

marno21 wrote: »
    I would imagine a motorway and improved rail service between Cork and Limerick via Limerick Junction.

Yeah I guess, just hope the rail improvements aren't fudged into the never never.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

shame they can't spell Buttevant.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »

Invariably with these reports, there'll be a typo, no matter how hard someone reads and re-reads it. :pac:

Argh, I’d say half the country be calling it ‘Buttervant’ even while looking at it spelt as Buttevant

Where is it misspelled ? :confused:

Quite a few people in North Cork call it Buttervant so a misspelling is still an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

cgcsb wrote: »

Looks like it's a either or situation. According to the diagram they will compare the two options after route selection and pick between road and rail

https://corklimerick.ie/what-next/

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Also, interesting question on the feedback form about ebikes. Asks if the route was safe for cycling and you had a ebike would you travel further.

Took me a while to find the feedback form. It's on the top right if anyone else is looking for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

rounders wrote: »
    Looks like it's a either or situation. According to the diagram they will compare the two options after route selection and pick between road and rail

They'll pick the road IMO. Double tracking from Limerick Junction into Limerick is part of the LSMATs plan. That and some track changes at the Junction will allow direct Cork to Limerick trains without having to build any new alignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

They'll pick the road IMO. Double tracking from Limerick Junction into Limerick is part of the LSMATs plan. That and some track changes at the Junction will allow direct Cork to Limerick trains without having to build any new alignments.

A brand new alignment is an interesting thought experiment though, it would be the first 'true' new railway line in Ireland in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Hopefully they learn from the issues whch arose in 2010 and minimise the potential for appeals to ABP/High Court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

rounders wrote: »

Rail whilst a lovely idea makes no sense over road, the vast majority of journeys are not City Centre to City Centre, so it’s all well and good when you get to Colbert and want to go Clonlara or Caherdavin etc.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they learn from the issues whch arose in 2010 and minimise the potential for appeals to ABP/High Court

The route option for south of the 2010 split north of Buttevant is identical (+ the offline option south of Mallow which will be discarded). If they pick that route, include a Buttevant junction and go forth with 2 separate north and south section they could have the southern element at ABP quite quickly as a lot of work was done on it in 2010

Advertisement