Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

What'll happen to poor Josephine's?

• 06-09-2008 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann

For decades it's been the customery stopping point for many a traveller and bus between Cork and Dublin. From the big dusty pot holed parking area for coaches to the crowded rest-rooms and deli counters in her buildings, Josephine's of Urlingford was a symbol that you were half way to where you wanted to go.

When I was a student in Dublin in 2000, I regularly bussed it back to Tipp. In those pre-Kildare and Monasterevin Bypass days, the journey to Cork was horrendously unsatisfying -- and Josephine's, God bless her, didn't help, because I only wanted to go as far as Cashel, so the stop in Urlingord served to prolong my agony rather than soothe it. Cork-bound people, and smokers, breathed a sigh of relief, however!

So with the anticipated opening of the newest piece of the M8 and the consequential bypassing of Urlingford, what'll become of the famous pit stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭ D.L.R.

Its supply and demand isn't it. With a motorway all the way from Dublin to Cork, there is no more need for a half way house. A service area will suffice. My sympathies with Josephine's et al, but this kind of thing happens with progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann

I've asked a mod to delete this thread, as I originally meant to post it in the Commuting and Transport forum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 31,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭ dolanbaker

Sure the mod could just move it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭ DublinWriter

Furet wrote: »
    So with the anticipated opening of the newest piece of the M8 and the consequential bypassing of Urlingford, what'll become of the famous pit stop?
    I can't believe anyone would bemoan the passing of this, most monstrous, of kips.

The food was and is the most appalling fare you could get by a road in Ireland. Why? Because they had it handy for years with coaches and the general uninformed motorist stopping there on the Cork-Dublin run.

The function of the buying of food in this place was usually only used as an admission to the toilets.

Good riddens to another vestige of Rip-Off-Ireland I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭ marmurr1916

Never mind Josephine's (stopped there on Saturday - the Wimpy food was okay but the gents was filthy), what about the big red apple* near Durrow?

(*the little roadside portacabin with the big wooden cutouts of apples attached)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,584 Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭ serfboard

Only had the "pleasure" of stopping in Josephine's once.

But, if you're wondering what's going to happen to it, to give you a comparable example, Harry's in Kinnegad was a similar halting site (sorry, I mean, place ;)). They gave the bus drivers free grub so's they'd stop the buses there, and everyone else piled in to the meeting point of the N4/N6. Now with Kinnegad being bypassed, the last time I passed through, Harry's was demolished and apartments built in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭ marmurr1916

I wonder if that horrible eyesore of the part-finished hotel in Urlingford (the one with the 'Opening in December 2005' sign on it) is ever going to be completed/demolished.

Obviously whoever started building that hotel (was meant to be a Ramada Encore - similar to a Travelodge) didn't realise that Urlingford was going to be bypassed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 bill_ashmount

It'll be missed. The shop on the way up for a sandwhich and drink and then the chipper on the way bag for a burger and chips. Happy days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 bill_ashmount

I can't believe anyone would bemoan the passing of this, most monstrous, of kips.

The food was and is the most appalling fare you could get by a road in Ireland. Why? Because they had it handy for years with coaches and the general uninformed motorist stopping there on the Cork-Dublin run.

The function of the buying of food in this place was usually only used as an admission to the toilets.

Good riddens to another vestige of Rip-Off-Ireland I say.

Blasphemy :mad:

;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ lazernuts

balls to Josephine's, i'll just miss the cheap(er) petrol you get in Urlingford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 4,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭ G_R

good ridance to bad rubbish...:mad:

have u seen the prices in there...€2.70 or something for red bull

and to the scientist
    bus eireann busses do still stop there... Aircoach busses stop in Kavanaghs (the other smaller garage)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭ cargo

I wonder if that horrible eyesore of the part-finished hotel in Urlingford (the one with the 'Opening in December 2005' sign on it) is ever going to be completed/demolished.

Obviously whoever started building that hotel (was meant to be a Ramada Encore - similar to a Travelodge) didn't realise that Urlingford was going to be bypassed!

I think they didn't realise You need planning for a hotel :) or that things tend to sink on swampland :) Heard several different stories with that place and all the different buildings there. Took ages to get them up and going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 BluntGuy

Maybe it's already finished and it's just a really crappy hotel! :D

Advertisement