Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What'll happen to poor Josephine's?

• 06-09-2008 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

For decades it's been the customery stopping point for many a traveller and bus between Cork and Dublin. From the big dusty pot holed parking area for coaches to the crowded rest-rooms and deli counters in her buildings, Josephine's of Urlingford was a symbol that you were half way to where you wanted to go.

When I was a student in Dublin in 2000, I regularly bussed it back to Tipp. In those pre-Kildare and Monasterevin Bypass days, the journey to Cork was horrendously unsatisfying -- and Josephine's, God bless her, didn't help, because I only wanted to go as far as Cashel, so the stop in Urlingord served to prolong my agony rather than soothe it. Cork-bound people, and smokers, breathed a sigh of relief, however!

So with the anticipated opening of the newest piece of the M8 and the consequential bypassing of Urlingford, what'll become of the famous pit stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Its supply and demand isn't it. With a motorway all the way from Dublin to Cork, there is no more need for a half way house. A service area will suffice. My sympathies with Josephine's et al, but this kind of thing happens with progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've asked a mod to delete this thread, as I originally meant to post it in the Commuting and Transport forum.

• Sure the mod could just move it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Furet wrote: »
    So with the anticipated opening of the newest piece of the M8 and the consequential bypassing of Urlingford, what'll become of the famous pit stop?
    I can't believe anyone would bemoan the passing of this, most monstrous, of kips.

The food was and is the most appalling fare you could get by a road in Ireland. Why? Because they had it handy for years with coaches and the general uninformed motorist stopping there on the Cork-Dublin run.

The function of the buying of food in this place was usually only used as an admission to the toilets.

Good riddens to another vestige of Rip-Off-Ireland I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Never mind Josephine's (stopped there on Saturday - the Wimpy food was okay but the gents was filthy), what about the big red apple* near Durrow?

(*the little roadside portacabin with the big wooden cutouts of apples attached)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭serfboard

Only had the "pleasure" of stopping in Josephine's once.

But, if you're wondering what's going to happen to it, to give you a comparable example, Harry's in Kinnegad was a similar halting site (sorry, I mean, place ;)). They gave the bus drivers free grub so's they'd stop the buses there, and everyone else piled in to the meeting point of the N4/N6. Now with Kinnegad being bypassed, the last time I passed through, Harry's was demolished and apartments built in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I wonder if that horrible eyesore of the part-finished hotel in Urlingford (the one with the 'Opening in December 2005' sign on it) is ever going to be completed/demolished.

Obviously whoever started building that hotel (was meant to be a Ramada Encore - similar to a Travelodge) didn't realise that Urlingford was going to be bypassed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

It'll be missed. The shop on the way up for a sandwhich and drink and then the chipper on the way bag for a burger and chips. Happy days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I can't believe anyone would bemoan the passing of this, most monstrous, of kips.

The food was and is the most appalling fare you could get by a road in Ireland. Why? Because they had it handy for years with coaches and the general uninformed motorist stopping there on the Cork-Dublin run.

The function of the buying of food in this place was usually only used as an admission to the toilets.

Good riddens to another vestige of Rip-Off-Ireland I say.

Blasphemy :mad:

;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazernuts

balls to Josephine's, i'll just miss the cheap(er) petrol you get in Urlingford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

good ridance to bad rubbish...:mad:

have u seen the prices in there...€2.70 or something for red bull

and to the scientist
    bus eireann busses do still stop there... Aircoach busses stop in Kavanaghs (the other smaller garage)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

I wonder if that horrible eyesore of the part-finished hotel in Urlingford (the one with the 'Opening in December 2005' sign on it) is ever going to be completed/demolished.

Obviously whoever started building that hotel (was meant to be a Ramada Encore - similar to a Travelodge) didn't realise that Urlingford was going to be bypassed!

I think they didn't realise You need planning for a hotel :) or that things tend to sink on swampland :) Heard several different stories with that place and all the different buildings there. Took ages to get them up and going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Maybe it's already finished and it's just a really crappy hotel! :D

Advertisement