Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field rations and "Rat Packing"

Options
  • 05-09-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of foreign adventures and weekend long stints in the out-doors I thought it might be worth looking at some of the common sense tips, tricks and know how of al-a-carte fine dining on the hoof.

I'm looking for info as much as being able to provide it myself so post anything you think is useful (but please use lots of detail because that usually where these things fall down).

Personally (and the first git to make a fat joke gets HK-slapped) I like to pack light if I'm going to be out for a while. trotting up to HRTA might mean fizzy pop and Doritos but out in the woods or hiking the hills these wont do you any good.

Nuts, seeds and raisens and other dried fruit like Bannana, apricots, goji berries etc are brilliant for energy and also contain the necessary mineral content and metabolic chemicals to release that energy (niacin and thiamine specifically). The handy thing about them is that they contain a huge quantity of energy for weight carried and their bite size nature means they can be happily grazed while on the march without being fiddly.

Nuts: Try to get the unsalted variety because the ridiculous ammount of salt in the salted/dry roasted kind will only make you thirsty. There is more than enough salt in them on their own to replace the lost electrolytes from physical exertion.

I personally do not like meal bars or protein bars because they have a habit of being very glucose heavy. Glucose is a simple sugar which releases energy quickly in to the blood stream. This will boost you for a short period but it leaves you lower afterward which is useless when you need a constant stream of energy. You'll get similar results from sugary sweets and pop and these items can also lead to other problems like headaches, irritability and (where there is too much nutrasweet) Montezumas revenge.

Having a flask with a hot brew in it helps too. Tea, hot-chocolate, coffee, ribena whatever floats your boat. It's less about the nutritional value than the morale effect. When its bucketing down, your boots are full of water, you can't feel your toes and your fingers are like rubber - a warm cup of milky coffee or thick ovaltine can really go a long way to alleviating the desire to throw yourself under a bus.

I asked in here about a year ago if anyone had any tips for footcare and the best one I got was when you have new boots or you'll be walking long distance wear two pairs of socks. One thin pair against your skin and one thick pair over it as a cushion agaisnt the boot. It really helps to reduce the blistering and pain new boots and long walks can cause.

Oh ... and avoid steel-caps like the plague.

Anyone got anything to add?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

http://www.be-well.co.uk/products_military_rations.php

had a couple of these at home, gonna be used for my next overnight airsoft outing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Excellent post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Easily carried and consumed caffeine products. My personal favourite are these ones.
    The other thing I'd recommend heartily are isotonic drinks. You can buy them ready made (like Lucozade sport) or in powder form. There's also an isotonic gel which does work but tastes a bit mucky unless you get a good brand, they're also bloody easy to carry a handful.

Go to a good camping store, get yourself a Swedish firesteel and some maya-sticks. Head to a supermarket and get some cotton wool or tampons (stay with me here). The easiest way in the world to start a fire when out camping are with these. Tampons are just compacted cotton wool. Because of this, they're easy to carry a couple of. Pull them apart a bit, strike them with the firesteel and watch how quickly they catch fire. Put your maya-sticks (a type of wood that has a highly flammable sap, handily precut and packaged) over the fire as tinder and then gradually add your bigger twigs and scrub. Nothing in the world raises spirits more when camping than a decent fire.
    Be sure to surround the fire with stones to prevent tinder and embers escaping.

If there's a stream nearby, soak your feet in it before you crawl into your sleeping bag. Initially your feet will be freezing because of it, but when you get back into the sleeping bag, your feet will warm up considerably and act like hot-water bottles, heating the whole sleeping bag in the process. Keeps you nice and toasty.

Pedamed foot powder. The last thing you want is a lovely athletes foot infection from trudging around in sweaty boots all day and night.

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97;
    Wear sunscreen...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hunter1100

At Berget 6 this year both myself and many of the other irish lands used
    24 hour UK rations. Highly recommended your can even eat them cold if necessary
    http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/dpobr1nx.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Kit List

Lets see now….

1. Clothing: Comfortable shoes/boots trainers will do but won’t stand up to bad weather.

Above should be in layers i.e. T shirt/thermal, fleece, sweatshirt, outer jacket/smock or waterproof, gloves(easy to remove if it gets too warm)

2. Decent socks wool if possible-bring spares also a spare shirt/trousers.

3. Something to carry your stuff in. i.e. rucksack/Bergen framed backpack or daybag. 35ltrs to 70ltrs. No bigger because you will find something to fill it with, and YOU will be carrying it. 35 ltrs is plenty for a short hop.

4. Something to sleep under. Small tent, Poncho X2 (or bivvie up with a mate. He should have his own basher/poncho and both make an ideal shelter.

5. Something to sleep in. sleeping bag/bivvie bag depending on climate.

6. Something to sleep on. Sleep mat/thermarest inflatable mat.(keeps the cold off your back.

7. Something to cook on, hexamine/meths stove or camp fire.

8. Something to cook in, mess tins, camp set aluminium or stainless, a cup of some unbreakable material is a must. Eating irons although a spoon on its own usually will suffice.

9. something to cook!! This may be all too obvious but think of weight, packaging and so on. It must be friable/boilable or edible cold.

10. Water!! Probably the heaviest item you will carry on a basic hike. Minimum 2 litres Per day. Beauty is the lighter it gets as you go!!

11. Basic Personal kit: water purification, first aid kit, bog roll, knife/sharp backed blade, matches/fire lighting, navigation i.e. compass/map, gps. good torch(spare batts, also for gps) and mobile phone, anything else you can think of to make your life a bit more comfortable is a bonus! But you will carry it!!

12. These are just some suggestions as to what you should bring with you and are just the pure basics. Food will be important as are drinks hot and cold. Some high sugar sweets/treats are good to carry but chocolate melts guys so think on. Should the weather turn for the worst waterproofs or wet gear will be needed. All trips and routes must be agreed in advance and details left with someone responsible.

british Army 24hr rat packs if you can get em, several menus available.
    If in doubt ask Rhinocharge, he sells a version of ratpack worth a look, very good value and easily carried as it if cleverly packed, everything you need calorie wise for a short yomp!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

is there any shops anyone knows of in ireland that i can just go in and buy some

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Iceage mentioned something important there.

BOG ROLL.

Quite seriously thisi s the one thing everyone forgets and it is, without hyperbole, a pain in the arse when you do.

However, wet-wipes or baby-wipes are a great substitute. Get the ones with anti-bacterial agents in them since these will cover a lot of eventualties such as hand santisiers, minor wound cleaning, cutlery steralisers as well as for polishing your brasseye.

... they are also a lot kinder to hemaroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

amaughan wrote: »
    is there any shops anyone knows of in ireland that i can just go in and buy some

Perhaps Monday there might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

A couple of things to add to my previous post that I forgot to mention.

Beef jerky. If you can find some decent jerky it has plenty of protein and salts. It'll also keep you chewing so your mouth won't be dry. Plus it tastes the business.

Underarmour/Canterbury thermal shirts and shorts. They're about 35 for the shirt and 25 for the shorts. Available in cold weather and hot weather versions. Obviously the cold weather one is a thermal insulator, but the hot weather one works in reverse. Both regulate your body temperature nicely and keep you comfortable. They also wick sweat away and dry seriously quickly. I used to use them for playing american football so I can tell you from experience that if you're sloshing around in the cold, wet mud, or running around on a hot, dry day with 40-50lbs of kit on, you'll be glad you invested in them.

Vaseline (quit making jokes down the back of the class).
    Vaseline is, as you know, petroleum jelly. It's medicinal uses were discovered when oil rig workers were seen to be putting the petroleum residue from the bore onto their cuts and grazes as it accelerated healing. This is exactly why you should carry a small pack of it.
    Put it onto cuts to seal them from infection, onto chapped lips so you don't eat them off when they get all flaky on a windy day, etc. The little handy-tins are available all over the place for about a euro and aren't much bigger than a couple of stacked 2euro coins.

Wesco Camo Cream.
    Available in army surplus and camping stores. It has insect repellent in it to prevent midgie bites and the like. Put a strip of it under each eye on a bright day (preferably black or brown). It'll cut down on glare, making it easier for you to see.

While you're in the army surplus store, pick up a first aid bandage kit. They're usually in a sealed cloth-like pouch and contain an antiseptic wipe, some bandage and gauze. It's basic, but it's light, small and all you need to get yourself to a medic station.

Perhaps Monday there might be.

wat ya mean by that

• Advertisement

Hmm, also the issue of correct disposal of any waste. food or otherwise, this is an art in its self and would take all night to discuss!;) very important that it is treated correctly, lighting a fire and trying to burn everything or bury it is not always the best solution, or worse still leave it littered all over the place.:mad:

iceage wrote: »
    Hmm, also the issue of correct disposal of any waste. food or otherwise, this is an art in its self and would take all night to discuss!;) very important that it is treated correctly, lighting a fire and trying to burn everything or bury it is not always the best solution, or worse still leave it littered all over the place.:mad:

Agreed. And it pisses people off to have to wade through your remnants.

None too familiar with this but I believe it involves bringing baggies with you, tieing them up tight and having a pouch or pocket reserved in your kit for transport. Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Stick it in your pocket and dump it in the helicopter when they rescue you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Helecopter xD

Handy tip:

You can get clear polythene bags with air valves used for packing clothes for flights. These basically squeeze out all the air in the clothing and reduces its size. It'll save you a hell of a lot of space in your bergen or back pack and will let you keep a whole days clothes fresh and dry separate for the rest of your whiffy/soggy left overs from the day before.

Stick it in your pocket and dump it in the helicopter when they rescue you! :pac:

Laugh!!!! I spilled my beer!:D

amaughan wrote: »

SEairsoft have the be-well ones,really tasty and nutritious, worth the money

Is that Rhinocharges place? He sent me one a while ago. Yummy;)

Is that Rhinocharges place? He sent me one a while ago. Yummy;)

haha i cant wait i going to end up in a tent after a night game only to wake up to an easy meal ha

indeed it is aye,

• Advertisement

yeah the one i got from Rhinocharge was really tasty, not what I was used to using but a very good replacement. Very straightforward to use, nearly all of it can be eaten hot or cold and to use you just add hot or cold water mix let sit for appropriate time(i would always give it longer) and bobs your uncle!!! he also has a range of menus available chilli con carne was a blast and a real favourite with my son who I has to wrestle to get it off of him.:rolleyes: Give him a shout guys if you fancy some trail food. and very reasonably priced as rat packs go.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Laugh!!!! I spilled my beer!:D

Laugh? A friend of mine (years ago) got 'rescued' from an island off the west coast and left his rubbish behind him in the copter! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Useful kit for the field (and, just as important, what you don't need)
    http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/fieldgear.asp

Suggestions for what to carry in your webbing and how (modify to suit if wearing a vest)
    http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/plce-assembly.asp

All you ever wanted to know about British rations (so good the Irish army uses them as well)
    http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/gp-menu.asp
    ...also contains link to Meals Rejected by Ethiopians info.

Top UK online store, also contains losts of useful info and advice.
    http://www.surplusandadventure.com

Bars: I second the recommendation to avoid NutriGrain bars and similar. Most of them contain up to 40% sugar. When the quick boost wears off, you'll crash hard. Instead, go for something like Jordan's bars; less sugar and slower & more sustained energy release. Nature Valley granola bars work great, weigh almost nothing and the Apple Crunch one is tasty.

For short ops, don't bother with dehydrated foods. You still have to carry or find enough water to reconstitute them. If you can't find ration packs, buy civilian meals in pouches. A really quick & simple meal is a pack of Uncle Ben's Express rice (with veg for a bit of flavour) and a John West tuna with a twist. The rice is parboiled already, just bung it all in a mess tin and boil it up for 2 minutes.

Baby wipes are an absolute must. You can also use them to remove makeup camo cream ;). Actually, darkening the back of your hands is more tactically useful, especially if you're wearing a mask/scrim/shemagh but no gloves.

The entire US Armed Forces swear by Tabasco sauce. It makes almost anything edible apparently. I dunno myself, but they can't all be wrong.

OzCam wrote: »
    entire US Armed Forces swear by Tabasco sauce. It makes almost anything edible apparently. I dunno myself, but they can't all be wrong.

Having tasted their MRE's, I'd understand why. Hot food tastes like damp cardboard.

Nature Valley granola bars work great, weigh almost nothing and the Apple Crunch one is tasty.

Just be careful A lot of these contain peanut flour and that can seriously ruin your day if you are sensitive or have allergies. I found out the hard way.

The entire US Armed Forces swear by Tabasco sauce. It makes almost anything edible apparently. I dunno myself, but they can't all be wrong.

I swear by it too. Infact, there are a range of hot sauces out there which work a treat. The hotter the better in some cases as the capcasin in the chilli is a powerful antiseptic and will kill a variety of nasty bugs picked up in the wilderness (DO NOT SMEAR INTO CUTS - it's only going to be a small protection, nothing that will kill salmonella)

Nice linky Ozcam, defo mucho cracker info! I brought a BA rat pack to work to show a mate, hes now addicted to the fruit biscuits!!!!! can't getenough of them:D

Just be careful A lot of these contain peanut flour and that can seriously ruin your day if you are sensitive or have allergies. I found out the hard way.

I swear by it too. Infact, there are a range of hot sauces out there which work a treat. The hotter the better in some cases as the capcasin in the chilli is a powerful antiseptic and will kill a variety of nasty bugs picked up in the wilderness (DO NOT SMEAR INTO CUTS - it's only going to be a small protection, nothing that will kill salmonella)

Hmm yes, smearing tabaco into open wounds....not my idea of a nice day out for a tab.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Having tasted their MRE's, I'd understand why. Hot food tastes like damp cardboard.

+1. Some parts of it weren't bad, the heater is nifty, and there's so many preservatives in it it's bound to keep you alive.

I have it on good authority that some of the newer menus are pretty ok.

One thing about the Brit ORPs though is that you'll soon get sick of beans if you can't mix up the menus. Not wild about the tin of turkey pate, it's there to make sure you get enough fats I guess. Otherwise they're absolutely top class. The next revision of the hot-weather menus will contain more lemon/orange drink mixes and fewer chocolate/soup mixes. It'll probably be a long time before they're available on Civvie St., if ever.

Good point, Hive. Always RTFM for these things. Assuming they declare all the ingredients, of course, though the rules are pretty strict now. And rightly so.

The next revision of the hot-weather menus will contain more lemon/orange drink mixes and fewer chocolate/soup mixes. It'll probably be a long time before they're available on Civvie St., if ever.quote]

Oh I wouldn't say that!!

• Advertisement

Oooooh your a tease Rhinocharge. go on do tell.:D

Advertisement