Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with UTV today?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, the evening has been steady for me. Ok, a ping of 110 average is still pretty píss poor (I'd dearly like to get back to the 40/50 I used to get) & I am still not getting the full up/down stream I did, but it was consistent all evening so perhaps, jusssssssssst perhaps the worst is over.

*has totally jinxed it now*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

Yeah my speed was 1.8Mb last night. Not great but better than the 56Kb I was getting. Wonder did they get rid of the 8Gb upgrade.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

My UTV 2mb connection was fairly "normal" at 10.30 last night when I checked. Was getting 1760kbps down and 206kbps or something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i wonder would matt copper be interested in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Mine has been running perfectly all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Best email I've received lately, Mostly because they took 3 weeks for two support ticket to be answered after going to 3 address's and countless unfulfilled call back promises.

Their service wasn't too bad for the last 4 years though
    Transfer Request Notification

We are sorry to hear you are planning to move your services to another provider.

Did you know - existing customers are eligible for …?

- Half price wireless modems and wireless bundles

- Revised pricing for existing Tariffs

- 90 FREE trail on UTV Internet Secure

- FREE Talk Anytime 90 day trail

- As well as any current promotions advertised online. *

We also have some fantastic offers on our UTV Anytime bundles, such as FREE Line Rental and FREE broadband which I may be able to offer you as an important UTV Customer.

Feel free to contact me directly on the number below if you wish to find out more about these fantastic UTV Anytime Bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bush wrote: »
    Mine has been running perfectly all day.

i dont believe it 2.5 down and 300k up at 7pm.
    what the hell going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

irishgeo wrote: »
    i dont believe it 2.5 down and 300k up at 7pm.
    what the hell going on.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/324962541.png

That's the best it has been during peak evening times in the last 3 weeks. It's still off from pre-handbags, but I'm cautiously happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Kind of late to the party having only been connected on Monday, but here it goes:

324455394.png
    324499804.png
    324907478.png
    324701732.png
    324713643.png
    324922265.png

That's the order they were taken in, ignore the timestamps. Generally it's crap in the mornings and tries to put in some effort in the evenings. At the moment it's an inconsistent 100Kb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Received a reply from UTV Support not ten minutes ago. It's a long one, and doesn't look to be computer generated.
    Good Afternoon Dave,

Further to your email, I have logged a broadband fault with Eircom. I shall come back to this later in the email.

There has been a noticeable slow speed issue throughout regions in Ireland in the past weeks. Although not fully identified, the issue of the slow speed has come into place since Eircom have been carrying out upgrade work for broadband speed(s) at their telephone exchanges. Most people would not have had any slow speed issue prior to August and September and this is when Eircom have carried out upgrade work. Although I cannot personally prove that this is the sole cause of the problem, it does point that there is some link relating to this work.

I have spoken to a number of customers in relation to this and when I test their telephone line, it shows up RED (which indicates a fault in place). However, for the majority of customers there is no actual fault with the telephone line. Again, this fault result appears to have only come about since upgrade work. As a test (to prove that the telephone line is not faulty), I have logged broadband faults to Eircom. During Eircom's DSL Analysis of the fault, they are able to identify if a telephone line is faulty. I believe that two broadband faults I logged have been rejected by Eircom stating a telephone line was faulty.

I've spoken to a number of people who have broadband with BT and Eircom and they too have told me that they are also having slow speed issues. One chap rang Eircom's Technical Support and was told that there was work ongoing with the migration to higher broadband speed(s). Another friend of mine was told by Eircom Technical Support that they had the Ethernet cable plugged into the incorrect port on their router. She was advised to swap this cable into another port and this would resolve the issue. However, it hasn't.

I've heard, in some cases, that Eircom Engineers have told people that there is no fault in place. Although, speaking to a gentleman (located in Moville, Co. Donegal) today he has a broadband issue but his brother, who has broadband from Eircom, is also a speed issue. Eircom weren't forthcoming with any information as to what the problem is. However, these gentleman have spoken to a local Councillor about the issue. This Councillor has been in touch with someone over at Eircom and they confirmed that they are aware this is a problem. The Councillor was told, by Eircom, that there is a problem with the number of people trying to access broadband. They are trying to resolve the issue but are not in a position to state when it might be sorted.

UTV have raised the issue with Eircom and the matter was raised as a priority case with ComReg and we are currently waiting for a reply from Eircom.

However, as I stated above, I have logged a fault over to Eircom for you. Firstly, to see if their DSL Analysis Team would pick up on any fault on the line. If they do, they then should be able to come back to me to state that the telephone line is faulty. Secondly, I am able to record your account details and when I receive an update on the speed issue, I then can contact you.

I have been advising customers to raise a complaint to ComReg and also UTV. The email address for complaints with UTV is: complaints@u.tv

I, personally, feel that the more people who are complaining to ComReg should assist with trying to get a resolution to this issue.

As I stated, as soon as I have a further update, I will be in touch. Apologies for the quality of service but we are working to try and get this resolve as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anyone of you who sent a joint email to UTV and ComReg get anything as informative?

I have taken this support agent's advice, and forwarded a complaint email to the complaints' address. You should all do likewise, and CC the email onto consumerline@comreg.ie to cover your bases.

• Advertisement

I received a shorter but similarly personal one regarding my line. The line is dead but the broadband is still working. Does that qualify as naked DSL? Except that I have to pay for the rental...

325443741.png

Onikage wrote: »
    I received a shorter but similarly personal one regarding my line. The line is dead but the broadband is still working. Does that qualify as naked DSL? Except that I have to pay for the rental...

325443741.png
    Not likely. Get onto UTV about that. It's obviously a PSTN issue, so it would be easily solved once they notify Eircom for you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That was a decent reply to get Deceifer, instead of the usual copy and paste rubbish.

I never received any reply, so will forward the email again to complaints and CC it to Comreg.

byte wrote: »
    That was a decent reply to get Deceifer, instead of the usual copy and paste rubbish.

I never received any reply, so will forward the email again to complaints and CC it to Comreg.
    Yeah man, I was shocked. But until the issue is resolved, one can't be too happy (UTV might be watching :p)...

Good man, it will do us all good if everyone who's with UTV reading this thread does the same.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Not likely. Get onto UTV about that. It's obviously a PSTN issue, so it would be easily solved once they notify Eircom for you.

I know that and have already done as you suggest. But I'd prefer the naked DSL.

Wouldn't we all? **** Eircom's €25.36 line rental charge! What exactly is it that we're paying for, in what does the money go towards? Nothing that benefits or services us, I'd imagine.

I have just received a call from UTV Support. They wanted to give me an update on the situation.

Basically, UTV are investigating their own network to make sure the problem is not on their end. Network Engineers have been flown in from England to assist in the problem, some even from Cisco. They receive regular feedback on the diagnostic work done by these engineers, but as yet, nothing significant has been found by them. He also informed me that they're also looking into the BT Ireland side of things, since UTV do use some of BT's network infrastructure. They are also constantly making reports to ComReg and, and indeed Eircom. He was unwilling to place blame on Eircom, as he said, and I quote, "We need to make sure our own house is clean before we establish blame on someone else's."

He also mentioned Boards.ie, so he and other UTV employees, are reading these threads. I have been promised to be kept up-to-date by him and will receive further updates in the near future. He made it clear that UTV's life would be a lot easier if these problems were to be resolved sooner, rather than later, so I do think there's enough incentive for them to find this problem and squash it like a bug fairly quickly. However, if the problem is on Eircom's side, I am not so confident that they will be as inticed to resolve it so quickly. Sure, we'll see!

The call lasted 25 minutes or so, and was ended by him giving me his direct line. I won't post his name or number, but it does show some good faith on UTV's end, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Did anyone else get a similar call?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have found their support always slow and not the best, but the Internet is awful the last few weeks. We were upgraded fine, running nicely on 6mb but now its barley getting 1mb. Was going to switch to Esat as our bills where high but UTV sorted that all out and placed blame with Eircom (and reffered to Boards) stating that the upgrade to ADSL2 was not sucesfull and that the infrastructure cant handle it. Everyone is affected and it seems while complaints are being made to Eircom and ComReg its not looking likely to be fixed anytime soon.

In other news related to UTV, they convinced the mother yesterday that Eircom had not actually started any of the exchange upgrades and it wont be done until October 1st. Different story today of course, from a different agent.

I'm stuck with a Creative Broadband Router connected to Linksys wireless router. If my connection drops, I have to reconnect it manually. Pain in the rear.

Sully wrote: »
    Have found their support always slow and not the best, but the Internet is awful the last few weeks. We were upgraded fine, running nicely on 6mb but now its barley getting 1mb. Was going to switch to Esat as our bills where high but UTV sorted that all out and placed blame with Eircom (and reffered to Boards) stating that the upgrade to ADSL2 was not sucesfull and that the infrastructure cant handle it. Everyone is affected and it seems while complaints are being made to Eircom and ComReg its not looking likely to be fixed anytime soon.

In other news related to UTV, they convinced the mother yesterday that Eircom had not actually started any of the exchange upgrades and it wont be done until October 1st. Different story today of course, from a different agent.

I'm stuck with a Creative Broadband Router connected to Linksys wireless router. If my connection drops, I have to reconnect it manually. Pain in the rear.
    Make sure you have the most up-to-date firmware for your Creative Broadband Router, and your Linksys. You could ask UTV to send you out the BT Voyager 2110 4-port Ethernet and Wireless Router, so you'd only need that one device, rather than using two. You might get it for free if you say your Creative one is causing you jib.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Make sure you have the most up-to-date firmware for your Creative Broadband Router, and your Linksys. You could ask UTV to send you out the BT Voyager 2110 4-port Ethernet and Wireless Router, so you'd only need that one device, rather than using two. You might get it for free if you say your Creative one is causing you jib.

I checked, its up-to-date (hasnt been an update in over 4 years!). Its the second replacement I have, but I must ask for another.

Personally, I think ill stick with my Linksys Wireless Router and ask for a better router then the Creative.

• Advertisement

I checked, its up-to-date (hasnt been an update in over 4 years!). Its the second replacement I have, but I must ask for another.

Personally, I think ill stick with my Linksys Wireless Router and ask for a better router then the Creative.
    Is the Linksys a cable/standalone router without a built-in ADSL modem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have just received a call from UTV Support. They wanted to give me an update on the situation.

Basically, UTV are investigating their own network to make sure the problem is not on their end. Network Engineers have been flown in from England to assist in the problem, some even from Cisco. They receive regular feedback on the diagnostic work done by these engineers, but as yet, nothing significant has been found by them. He also informed me that they're also looking into the BT Ireland side of things, since UTV do use some of BT's network infrastructure. They are also constantly making reports to ComReg and, and indeed Eircom. He was unwilling to place blame on Eircom, as he said, and I quote, "We need to make sure our own house is clean before we establish blame on someone else's."

He also mentioned Boards.ie, so he and other UTV employees, are reading these threads. I have been promised to be kept up-to-date by him and will receive further updates in the near future. He made it clear that UTV's life would be a lot easier if these problems were to be resolved sooner, rather than later, so I do think there's enough incentive for them to find this problem and squash it like a bug fairly quickly. However, if the problem is on Eircom's side, I am not so confident that they will be as inticed to resolve it so quickly. Sure, we'll see!

The call lasted 25 minutes or so, and was ended by him giving me his direct line. I won't post his name or number, but it does show some good faith on UTV's end, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Did anyone else get a similar call?

This is an interesting post and it makes a refreshing change to actually hear a utv person acknowledge that they might have some role to play in the problem. It seems strange that they are only looking at their own network now after all this time as, I have posted before, the problem is very similar to one a few years ago where BT and UTV customers were suffering very similar problems with regard to speeds particulary at peak times and the problem had nothing got to do with Eircom at all.

Sadly it is reflex for UTV to blame Eircom for everything - once they blamed Eircom for a billing problem I had with them I lost all faith in their integrity. Not that I am any lover of Eircom but UTV know that they can easily play to the gallery by blaming Eircom and few people are in a position to question them.

For example in the early days of bb UTV speeds were dire and they kept blaming their 'upstream provider' and everyone was saying oh yes poor UTV Eircom trying to sabotage and destroy them but their upstream provider wasnt Eircom at all! But utv were happy to perpetrate this myth and have been ever since - if it rains in UTV land its Eircoms fault!!!!!!!

Is the Linksys a cable/standalone router without a built-in ADSL modem?

Tis the WRT54G

Tis the WRT54G
    Yeah, it's not an ADSL router/modem.

So, if you do manage to get the Voyager 2110 off of UTV, then I would advise using that alone. No need to add to the complications of the network by adding an unnecessary bridge. The 2110, unlike the 210, will allow you to connect 4 PC's via it's 4 Ethernet ports.

Yeah, it's not an ADSL router/modem.

Sorry had to rush a reply earlier. Yup, I made that mistake when I bought it in a rush :P But, its an excellent piece of equipment and im unsure if it would be as good as the Voyager one. I use it for a wireless network (well one PC directly connected) more so.

Sorry had to rush a reply earlier. Yup, I made that mistake when I bought it in a rush :P But, its an excellent piece of equipment and im unsure if it would be as good as the Voyager one. I use it for a wireless network (well one PC directly connected) more so.
    If the Voyager's wireless range is inferior to the Linksys' one, then you can indeed use that as your wireless bridge. But, for the PC connected via Ethernet cable, I'd suggest you lob that into the Voyager.

Here's what I mean:
    Voyager (1st RJ-45 port) -> LAN PC
    Voyager (2nd RJ-45 port) -> Linksys (1st RJ-45 port) -> WLAN PC's

Linksys make excellent wireless routers, the range on even some of their standard products is amazing. So, if it is better than the Voyager for range, then by all means use it as your wireless bride only. But if the Voyager has similar range, then you are better off eliminating the Linksys router from the equation, and saving it for another day (handy if you ever get UPC cable broadband at your current or future address).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The UTV service has been absolutely crap again for the last 2 days, at this stage I can't see it ever getting better, its been like this for the last 3 weeks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shotokan_IRL

Hey guys,

As my exchange was only updated last Fri I will be holding off a bit on the complaint side of things. While as pointed out by others and I agree whole-heartily that when it comes to customer service UTV are the pits - examples:

After your 3months free Unlimited - no warning message or notice telling you its at an end, so I got crucified with penalty charges - now how hard is it to put in a robot job based on the start date of the customer to ensure notification.

As mentioned before by another member, I have been on the 3Mbs package from the start and one day I was browsing the UTV site and saw that the price for my package had dropped by over 10quid yet I was still paying the old rate. When I rang up I was told you have to notify them to move to the cheaper price - even though I got no notification by mail or anything that such a change had happened - so for 2yrs I was paying the higher price thats 240quid extra - I wasn't impressed.

And the last example of course is this speed issue - which, when I called asking why speeds were so pathetic I was told by the support team to "check boards.ie its all explained in there" - and it was Eircom infrastructure change resulting in this issue. Yet again no notification anywhere that this issue was there - I thought it was my modem, bad line, dodgey wireless connection and did all the tests before being satisfied it wasn't - wasting my time.

But one thing I have to say in defence is, and the reason I will, at least until I get a better offer - probably speed related, that makes me change my provider, that any issue I have had on calling it was explained to me and up to now resolved either that nite or worst case the following day - which in my eyes is pretty damn good anyway you want to look at it. I guarentee you won't get that turnaround from Eircom - also the support team you talk to in UTV know what they are talking about not trained monkeys reading out a manual like I suspect Eircom have.

Anyways all that said here is the latest speed check from me - also this is being done while xbox360 is playing away with GOW through wired beside me and another one wireless in another room:

Speedtest.net:

326031186.png

326031606.png

326031949.png

Keeping in mind this is the time we are lucky normally to hit 500kbs

And now for testmy.net: 3 Seperate runs straight after each other :

share2-TB2IM3KER

share2-YIGMWV29J

share2-OPSCLGM85

So as you can see the main one everyone used is showing as fast as Ive had at 2.30am my first post but the one I like to gauge it by is still hitting the 500kbs odd range. Which isnt great but better than it has been - so we appear to definitely have movement near to the resolution of this problem. I will give them another wk and if I don't see it returned to full service then I will be giving UTV my voice via mail and then to Comreg if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

I have been having some terrible speed problems with UTV since they upgraded the local exchange about 6 weeks ago and my line was upgraded to 7MB.
    like other posters here, it was great for about 2 or 3 weeks but has gone to the dogs for the last two or so. A friend that is with UTV (on the same exchange) is having similar problems.
    On speedtest.net I am getting from 700kbps to 2000kbps download but I have never experienced slowness like this before ( even when I was on a 1 MB connection it was not a slow as what I have seen over the last two weeks.
    However, I have the exact same connection at work as I have at home ( which is literally across the road) and it is provided by eircom rather than UTV.
    There has been no speed issues with this connection whatsoever since the exchange was upgraded 6 weeks ago. This might indicate that there is an issue with utv themselves ( as reported in a previous post) or eircom are looking after their own lines better than the competition.

Of course, having just said all that , it is back up to proper speed for the last hour or so ! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ISOT wrote: »
    I have been having some terrible speed problems with UTV since they upgraded the local exchange about 6 weeks ago and my line was upgraded to 7MB.
    like other posters here, it was great for about 2 or 3 weeks but has gone to the dogs for the last two or so. A friend that is with UTV (on the same exchange) is having similar problems.
    On speedtest.net I am getting from 700kbps to 2000kbps download but I have never experienced slowness like this before ( even when I was on a 1 MB connection it was not a slow as what I have seen over the last two weeks.
    However, I have the exact same connection at work as I have at home ( which is literally across the road) and it is provided by eircom rather than UTV.
    There has been no speed issues with this connection whatsoever since the exchange was upgraded 6 weeks ago. This might indicate that there is an issue with utv themselves ( as reported in a previous post) or eircom are looking after their own lines better than the competition.

Of course, having just said all that , it is back up to proper speed for the last hour or so ! :confused:

Have you checked your line stats to see if your line is able for that speed?

Advertisement