Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always wear a helmet! (pic)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I also ignore mandatory cycle lanes if I feel they are dangerous or stupid.
    Yeah some of them defy logic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It's never necessary to break lights, however, as many others here have said stopping a few metres in front of the stop line and in the middle of the lane is the safest way to ensure you are given adequate consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

blorg wrote: »
    Jeez, you're a whizz with the photoshop there unionman :D

Years of practice. It's how myself and Al Gore used to while away our evenings when we were inventing the internet back in the day:D
    Photoshop? Yeah right! It looks like Unionman is more of a Google Images whizz to have found those photos in the archives!
    :rolleyes:

Dang, foiled again...:rolleyes:

Spotted Helmethead today cycling past the Coombe hospital about 2pm.

Was a bit starstruck to see the man himself in the flesh. Didn't manage a pic:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

So you guys never break lights on your bike?
    Never.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I saw him getting money out of the boi atm on Camden Street on Friday night. I explained who he was to a friend. I then fell to my knees and wept as it became clear that my entire world has finally been consumed by TEH INTERNETS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I saw him getting money out of the boi atm on Camden Street on Friday night. I explained who he was to a friend. I then fell to my knees and wept as it became clear that my entire world has finally been consumed by TEH INTERNETS.

Admitting it is the first step.

Raam wrote: »
    Admitting it is the first step.

Admitting it via the internet is the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It seems that you need to be aggressive and assertive to survive as a cyclist

I'd agree 100% with that and it reflects my cycling style, particularly in Dublin traffic (touring in France is a whole other story). Also, while I obey reds 99% of the time, there are always occasions. No real debate is served by absolutes.

For context, from the linked article above:
    Peter Wright, the father of Rosie and a vehicle safety expert who heads the commission which regulates safety in international motorsport, criticised TfL for failing to publish the study. “Rosie was reasonably cautious, which seems to be the problem. It seems that you need to be aggressive and assertive to survive as a cyclist,” he said. “TfL’s attitude is unacceptable.

“It should stop withholding the study because we need an open public debate about the findings to seek ways of preventing more deaths. There is something wrong if the only way you can survive on a bike is to skip the lights.”

Myth wrote: »
    Admitting it via the internet is the second.

Yes, but probably a backward step.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

When stopped at lights I usually take off with the pedestrain green light if the way is clear to get across the junction before the cars move. Cars are stopped at reds all round, no pedestrians around...

I guess you guys are agin this too? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tibor wrote: »
    When stopped at lights I usually take off with the pedestrain green light if the way is clear to get across the junction before the cars move. Cars are stopped at reds all round, no pedestrians around...

Because it's illegal. I can understand why you do it, to a point. However, many times, slower cyclists will do this to other cyclists who are faster and who have already passed them out, but who have decided to obey the law and wait for the green. It's incredibly annoying. I'm not saying you are one of those cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah I used to do this. I validated it by saying I could just hop off the bike, walk across with the pedestrian lights, hop back on and away I go. Sure, it's much the same as staying on the bike to do it !

Now I just don't bother, the peer pressure from boards.ie users and the responsibility of a boards.ie jersey is overpowering. I also came to the conclusion that when going through the city center, it simply doesn't save one any noticeable time to skip some lights and not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

ditto
    although if I have JUST missed a green light and face a long wait, I'll still cross the road as a ped with the little green man rather than waiting for the lights to eventually turn for me again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I see people do this regularly on my commute. One of the crossroads that I pass through has pedestrian+cycle lights across all four roads at the junction. They are intended to let pedestrians and cyclists cross just one individual road at a time, but when they go green many of the cyclists that are stopped at the lights just blast through the entire junction, illegally cutting across two sets of green lights in doing so. Maybe they check for pedestrians or cyclists crossing before they do so, but I have seen cyclists skim past both pedestrians and other cyclists (both adults and very young children), legally crossing the roads, quite a few times.

So, if you want one reason why not to do this, then it is the fact that you are putting others at risk. Just because you haven't seem them does not mean that someone won't appear in front of you when you least expect it. I would imagine that most people that walk away from a car crash, for example, will swear blind that they hadn't seen the thing that they collided with - the unexpected nature of them is why they are diplomatically called "accidents" rather than "incidents of people choosing to collide with things/others".

But social responsibility aside, another reason not to break the lights is a good old-fashioned sense of self-preservation. The Critical Mass Campaign used to have, and presumably still do have, the slogan of "We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic!". To prove this point the Dublin branch would get a bunch of cyclists together every now and then and cycle slowly through Dublin city, impeding the traffic behind them by their slow speed and mass. I was never a fan of their methods, but their message was certainly a good one. It is important that all other road users acknowledge cyclists as valid road users and therefore as traffic - without that recognition, we cyclists are perceived as just an inconvenient obstacle that doesn't belong on the road and there are plenty of aggressive people behind the wheels/handlebars of motorised vehicles that would be more than happy to shove us off the road to make way for themselves (some will do this anyway, but most people think twice about it if they perceive that you have at least some right to be on the road in the first place). So it is in the best interests of all cyclists that as a group we be treated as traffic and given space on the roads, etc., as such. However, if we want to be treated as traffic, and benefit from the some of the safety that this provides, then we have an obligation to act like traffic, which means obeying traffic lights amongst other basic things.

As already mentioned, dismounting and walking across with the pedestrian green light is perfectly legal and safe. In fact, the design of many of the specific cycling traffic lights that I have seen actually encourage this behaviour. It's not usually my choice (I prefer to wait for the green light for traffic), but it is certainly a perfectly valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Interesting points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    always_wear_a_helmet.jpg

Full face is best for maximum protection when casually drifting through red lights!

I spotted this guy again the other day, still breaking red lights. He possibly had a Mad MTB jersey on him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

How do you know it was the same guy ?

Lots of DH events on at the moment, so quite likely the MAD chap was going to/from an event or practice.

(Doesn't excuse his red light jumping. I'm sure the Chairman will deliver a stern admonition)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Verb wrote: »
    How do you know it was the same guy ?

Lots of DH events on at the moment, so quite likely the MAD chap was going to/from an event or practice.

(Doesn't excuse his red light jumping. I'm sure the Chairman will deliver a stern admonition)

Similar bike and similar helmet (yes I realise full face helmets are all roughly the same). Do MAD have events around lunchtime on Tuesday?

Speaking of jerseys, please PM me about that jersey, next week some day should suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Nope, except when there's a traffic loop set up which won't detect me.
    This could be wrong, but I have heard that ataching a strong magnet to the frame of a bike can allow traffic loops to detect the bike. Might be worth looking into.

• Advertisement

This could be wrong, but I have heard that ataching a strong magnet to the frame of a bike can allow traffic loops to detect the bike. Might be worth looking into.

Having anything magnetic that exposed & close to the ground is looking for trouble methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Having anything magnetic that exposed & close to the ground is looking for trouble methinks.
    On the upside, you could hoover up any change lying around the street.

Goes off to check whether currency is magnetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Crippens

I obey traffic lights almost all the time but it is difficult sometimes to decide the best way to negotiate a junction. Take one example from my commute: going along Fortunestown Way in the Citywest direction there is a T-junction with the Jobstown Road. On my side there is one lane of traffic leading to one lane on the opposite side of the junction. Traffic approaching from the other direction heading towards Tallaght has 2 lanes; one for turning right into the Jobstown Road and the inside for going straight on. So, when I cross the junction I am faced with a road that has three lanes and unfortunately there really isn't sufficient space for all 3 and they are all relatively narrow. On one occasion a lorry started to squeeze by me as I cleared the junction and only for the fact that I jumped the kerb to get off the road I would have been hit. From then on I have always jumped the red in order to clear the junction before the traffic gets moving behind me. I realise that another option is to cycle well out into the lane to prevent overtaking but this creates so much aggression and abuse that I really feel the only safe option I have is to jump fast as soon as the lights turn red for the Jobstown Road and before my lights go green.
    I would appreciate comments and advice but waiting for the green and then cycling a "normal" distance from the kerb is NOT a safe option so please don't tell me the rules must be obeyed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Crippens wrote: »
    I realise that another option is to cycle well out into the lane to prevent overtaking but this creates so much aggression and abuse

It's often not to prevent overtaken, but rather than to prevent dangerous overtaking. Cycling close to the kerb and allowing cars, vans, and trucks to become too close between you and the kerb poses more danger to you.

That's the option, I think, the majority of people here would go with.

But it's not just our opinion, it's back by expert opinion in Cyclecraft, which is written by "John Franklin, is a consultant and registered Expert Witness on cycling skills and safety and was a member of the CTC reference group that set up the [UK] National Cycling Training Standard, now known as Bikeability. Cyclecraft is required reading for instructors accredited to teach the Standard".

The book is the "official course book for the [UK] National Cycle Training Standard, endorsed by all principal cycle training providers."

It's £12.50 (around €14) plus p&p, which is well worth it. It can also be found in Eason etc.

And a good description of the book can be found by clicking here (where the intro chapter can be read):
    Cyclecraft teaches cycling technique in a similar way to teaching someone to drive a car – how to integrate with traffic, not fear it. The general aims are to maximise your safety and riding efficiency, while minimising inconvenience to others and wear to your machine.

Advice is given on how to deal with all common road situations,
    recognising how impractical it often is to avoid the more difficult ones. It follows the supposition, well endorsed by skilled riders, that the only way to be safe is to learn to control a cycle as a vehicle and to read and respond to what is going on around you. For this reason the cyclist is frequently referred to as a vehicle driver, for that is what you must be. Cyclecraft also outlines the problems experienced by other road users; by taking these into account, you can react in the ways most likely to benefit your journey.

Advertisement