Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn won't cover flood damage on full policy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 brettman

Keith C wrote: »
    Do you have comprehensive insurance? if so then

Let us now how you get on

btw on www.askaboutmoney.com under the insurance section theres a claims manager from quinn that post there, set up a thread there & see what response you get.

Thanks for that. I will start a thread there, though I'm getting a much dimmer view of the situation. Quinn's argument was that it wasn't an accident at all, because I had a choice to sit on the side of the road all night, while the roads cleared. My argument is that I've been driving for 20 years, in several countries, through thousands of puddles. Never had a problem. This one just didn't look dangerous. I avoided the roads with deep floods.

crosstownk wrote: »
    If you can prove that driving through the flood was unavoidable then you have a case. However, if Quinn can prove that it was avoidable then you're fcuked.

Avoidable in what sense? If I wanted to get home that night, then it wasn't avoidable. If I wanted to sit in my car all night with a passenger who was shivering and numb, 'cause she'd been stuck out in the rain, well then it was avoidable. I'm fairly certain that the legal system favors players with a lot of money and lawyers, so not very bullish on my chances.

I am gonna talk to some lawyers today to see what they think.

Anybody suggest good solicitors for going against a giant like quinn?

/b

craichoe wrote: »
    Their not that bad, just too many cars for too little road overwhelmed by a lack of public transport and lack of choice.

I don't know why people have this idea of driving eutopia outside Ireland, Germany has bad roads too, even parts of Autobahn are dodgy.

I've lived and driven extensively in several different countries, and can say that in terms of planning and engineering, Irish roads are among the worst I've ever experienced. Out in the Russian backwoods, they're worse (or at least they were 10 years ago) but for a first world country Irish roads are pretty bad.

They bloody well know it rains here a lot. Its just inexcusable, IMO, that such huge sections of roads like the M50 and the M1 could flood the way they did recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Roads in countries like Germany and England flood on a more frequent basis. We had month's worth of rainfall in a few hours last month, that's not normal.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My Bro and his girlfriend were on the m50 on one of the days of mad flooding.. and they didnt drive into a puddle.. they were stuck in a traffic jam for over 30 mins of heavy rain.. ended up with water up as far as the gearstick inside the car.. best of all they payed 2 euro for the privilege of being stuck for 30 mins in traffic and the end result her car is wrote off... but at least their claim was honored
    Were they in a cabrio with the roof down? :eek:

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that my faith in Quinn has not been tarnished by this thread! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Brettman, for someone with such extensive driving experience, I can't understand why you took such a foolish decision to to drive through the flood.

Stating it was a puddle is ridiculous, you've said yourself that the water was high enough to come into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OP i'm in a main dealer and at the moment we have 5 focus engines on order due to the floods.
    All of these engines are insurance jobs and guess what...3 of them are with Quinn direct!! who are forking out for the work!
    Now i hear that dealers up and down the country are screming for these engines, They have gone on backorder the demand is so big.

Does this say something about Ford Focus drivers, or does it say more about the positioning of the air intake pipe in the Focus?
    My Alfa 145 had a very low intake (at about 13"), so I moved it upwards, so it sits at ~18" now.
    What is it at on the Focus'?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Does this say something about Ford Focus drivers, or does it say more about the positioning of the air intake pipe in the Focus?

There is a 3rd option, he could be a Ford dealer ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I work in a more reputable insurance company and last week I asked the very same question to one of the guys who works in motor for 15 years or so. He said it was covered. Just came across this so so thought I'd comment.
    Comprehensive cover is comprehensive cover so they have to pay it.
    If you crashed into a wall by accident they could then say well you were negligent because you didn't take the corner slow enough or some other ****e like that, they wouldn't get away with it so I don't see why they should be able to get away with it in this situation.
    They don't have a good reputation amongst other companies or most brokers, the four biggest brokers in Ireland don't have any business with them so what does that tell you.
    Quinn would have the loosest underwriters and take on what I might see at risky business for a cheap price yet and the reason they do that is because they act too tough on claims to keep the cost down. Other insurers pay 99% of these claims, don't get me wrong they can be b@stards the odd time too but you get what you pay for. In most insurance experts opinions they are seen as the mavericks of the insurance world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm with Quinn because they insured me as a young driver when the "more reputable insurance companys" were looking to extract a complete fortune or just wouldn't quote me at all!

So, they can all go swim in the Ganges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Keith186 wrote: »
    brokers, the four biggest brokers in Ireland don't have any business with them so what does that tell you.

It tells me that they don't like Brokers over quoting their premium quotations and prefer to give their customers direct cheaper quotes.

They don't do business through the Brokers through their own choices, not the Brokers.

Advertisement