Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French terrestrial TV in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Connacht wrote: »
    The screen on ARTE's channel tells me what to do with my 'TNT', which I don't have.
    Many thanks.

Maybe you might consider a second dish looking on Hotbird 13 degrees with and many more as per http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html

Let us know how you get on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Am ressurecting this thread.
    ARTE has now diappeared from my Atlantic Bird 3W and FR2 is scrambled at certain times of the day (too early to have anything to do with World Cup).
    Does anybody know what's going on please ?
    The screen on ARTE's channel tells me what to do with my 'TNT', which I don't have.
    Many thanks.

The channels are in the process of transitioning to encrypted digital. TNT is DTT in french, so you won't be able to receive it but like the UK's freesat France has launched an equivalent service called Fransat which requires a satellite receiver and matched card (once off payment I believe). Fransat is also available from AB3 at 5 deg. West.

The terrestrial channels are also available as part of the BIS TV and TNT SAT packages.

See the various options here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hagar, not sure I understand your point. This is digital, not analog. I'm receiving FTA FR2, FR3, FR5, ARTE and LCP.
    Steve, my sat dish is 80cm, so should be big enough.
    But as I say, it's just sporadic. If I go and check right now .... yeah, it's perfect. It's perfect most of the time.
    Thanks guys.

80cm should be fine with AB3, we used to have an 80cm, now using an 60cm disk and get good picture off AB3, not looking at the French stations now. WE are near Ros an Mhíl

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks lads.
    Yes, we have an 80 cm dish with no problems.
    Will invest in Fransat so.
    Cheers

Update :
    Got the Fransat and installed today.
    Cr*p !
    TF1, ARTE and other channels I really wanted to watch are equally broken / encrypted / not visible, just as was the situation with previous box.
    E 160 down the drain, unless somebody has a solution ??
    many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Update :
    Got the Fransat and installed today.
    Cr*p !
    TF1, ARTE and other channels I really wanted to watch are equally broken / encrypted / not visible, just as was the situation with previous box.
    E 160 down the drain, unless somebody has a solution ??
    many thanks

Has the smart card been activated, what set up are you using?

Snaps,
    Yeah, yeah, the card and machine work fine (I guess). The thing is that the channels I already had on the previous box off AB3 are fine on this Fransat system too. But the only reason I got it was I was told I could get back the channels lost off the other, especially ARTE and that I could also get TF1 in addition.
    Not so.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

ARTE is available FTA on both Hotbird 13 and Astra 19.2 (plus TV5, Demain, France 24, BFM, Direct8 and a few others)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Lads, job done a while back.
    I found the French stations fairly easily actually.
    To find Atlantic Bird 3 from Connacht, point the dish at 5 W and at 28.4 degrees up in the sky.
    Beautiful clear picture - better than picture of Irish terestrial tv via aerial.
    All was great for a few days, but now I'm getting jagged / poor reception sometimes - not always.
    The sound is okay but the pictiure gets broken up and horizontal lines of picture loss of sync.
    What could this be ?
    Does weather affect sat reception ? Is it passing aircraft ? Is it dodgy connections in my coax cables ?
    It doesn't last, but is annoying when it's happening.
    Thanks again people.

Is where you joined the cable outside ... if so I'd say make sure you seal it, even some duct tape for the moment until you can get shrink wrap, those connectors ain't waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Is where you joined the cable outside ... if so I'd say make sure you seal it, even some duct tape for the moment until you can get shrink wrap, those connectors ain't waterproof.

Yeah...get yourself some self amalgamating tape, great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

carbsy wrote: »
    Yeah...get yourself some self amalgamating tape, great stuff.

france 2 is showing the 2010 fa community shield between chelsea and man utd on sunday 8th August fta

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

ftakeith wrote: »
    france 2 is showing the 2010 fa community shield between chelsea and man utd on sunday 8th August fta

nice one keith... ta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the cheapest available SD Fransat box and to take the card out of it and plug it into a viaccess cam in a decent HD PVR?

Will it work at all? And/or will I need to keep the orig Fransat box to do an occasional keep-alive?

hi Keith,
    No nothing is connected outside.

Advertisement