Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you hand back a 50 ?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Considering a 50 euro note buys you diddley these days, If you found a lovely crisp 50 on the street, or perhaps in a pub toilet, would you bother handing it into a garda station or giving it to the barman in the pub, saying...I found this, or would you just pocket it ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I would pocket it without a moment's consideration. If it was a personal item like a wallet or a piece or jewellry then I would hand it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I would pocket it without a moment's consideration. If it was a personal item like a wallet or a piece or jewellry then I would hand it in.

Yep.

But I would check for string and a camera crew as I am paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have found a fifty in the jacks at uni before,pocketed it.My policy is if someone can lose money and not notice they have too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I would put it in my pocket. No apologies!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Straight into my pocket - it will buy me a few beers. If people aren't responsible enough to keep their things, then why should I do them any favours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Into the pocket she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Defo in the pocket. What point is there handing it in somewhere? They'll just pocket it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

Holsten wrote: »
    Into the pocket she goes.

I love a straight answer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Peared wrote: »
    But I would check for string and a camera crew as I am paranoid.
    I decided against picking up a fiver in Smyths toystore the other day for the very same reason. That, and it was beside the second hand games bin, in a toy shop. Plus, it was only a fiver and not worth breaking my stride for.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

hand it to a barman? are ya mad :rolleyes:
    He already took my other 50 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Depends on situation, someone may just have dropped it, so I'd be watching for that. If I couldnt see anyone looking for it or who had obviously dropped it, then I'd pocket it as you can be damn sure the next person who comes along certainly will if you don't.

Edit:
    Have found a fifty in the jacks at uni before,pocketed it.My policy is if someone can lose money and not notice they have too much.

While I would've done the same, the fact is that the person may have dropped it and not notice for quite a while if they're not going to the bar. It doesn't mean they're automatically flush with cash if they mislay some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Today, i keep it.

Generally, if i see someone drop something i chase them down with it...
    (i also am imagining me, chasing someone- screaming "oooooiiiiiii" while thay run away frightened :D)

If its just there, looking helpless on the pavement - i give it a home... im nice like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

If I found it on the street I would pick it up but if I found one in a shop, pub, hotel etc I would hand it in and have done so before.

Today, i keep it.

Generally, if i see someone drop something i chase them down with it...
    (i also am imagining me, chasing someone- screaming "oooooiiiiiii" while thay run away frightened :D)

If its just there, looking helpless on the pavement - i give it a home... im nice like that ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

One of the funniest things we did in Uni last year was gluing a €2 coin to the path outside our house. The amount of trouble some people will go to get it is unreal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

cson wrote: »
    One of the funniest things we did in Uni last year was gluing a €2 coin to the path outside our house. The amount of trouble some people will go to get it is unreal. :D

See now, this is how people get paranoid about string and cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

on a night out I was waiting in line for the drink link and the guy in front of me left €200 in the slot. I gave him a shout and gave it to him but he was a total w*nker about it, looking at me as if I tried to rob it on him. Two weeks later I won €150 on a horse that the teller in the bookies miscalculated and gave me a grand... Karma rocks!!!!

on a night out I was waiting in line for the drink link and the guy in front of me left €200 in the slot. I gave him a shout and gave it to him but he was a total w*nker about it, looking at me as if I tried to rob it on him. Two weeks later I won €150 on a horse that the teller in the bookies miscalculated and gave me a grand... Karma rocks!!!!

Karma is out there !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Found one in Stephen's green a while back, believe it or not. Nobody around so I pocketed it.

No way would it end up funding a Garda Christmas party. Would try and get back money to someone if it was in a wallet, but not otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

i would pocket it cause chances are the barman or guard would instead if i didnt:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

thelurch wrote: »
    would you bother handing it into a garda station
    Would I be correct in saying that you have never went to a Garda Station to declare money that has been found?

One doesn't have to 'hand it over' but merely report the find. The Gardai will then take details of anyone reporting lost money and contact you accordingly . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd pocket it. In fact I did find a 50 on the grounds of UCD before, and pocketed it. I felt as though I should give it to charity, but then decided that I don't have enough money myself to concern myself with charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emma08

if i see one i pick it up.. god left it der for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Considering a 50 euro note buys you diddley these days, If you found a lovely crisp 50 on the street, or perhaps in a pub toilet, would you bother handing it into a garda station or giving it to the barman in the pub, saying...I found this, or would you just pocket it ???

No, I wouldn't.

However back in the day when a pound was a punt I handed £95 punts back to a bank the next day when I discovered that the cashier had given me too much.

Yes, the bank is richer but it was still the cashiers mistake and I couldn't live with myself thinking that someone might get sacked just so I'd be up £90ir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i backed a 50 to 1 bet once.
    it won too. €750 I got from that. on da pwd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

No i wouldnt hand it in. Someone else would pocket it. 10% to charity and thats that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

or perhaps in a pub toilet,

give it a nice rinse, blast under the hand drier then into the back pocket !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

No i wouldnt hand it in. Someone else would pocket it. 10% to charity and thats that:)

Nah , 10% to PaddyPower in case it's your lucky day !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i found a 50 lying on the side of the road once and kept it but at the local shopping centre i saw one at the bottom of some steps and i realised the guy in front of me with the very baggy tracksuit bottoms dropped it so i ran after him and gave it to him. So the answer is, it depends

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm so broke that I'd have to say "finders keepers" if I saw a 50 on the ground.

Advertisement