Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Digitalism wrote: »
    Hi, ive got a windows 7 laptop and am wanting to set up sharing with my ps3. Ive tried everything, ive followed all the steps in WMP12 sharing and nothing is working.

ALso, on the media sharing devices list, I removed all the devices in that list thinking that would fix it, but no devices are showing up now, anyone know how I can get those devices to show up again? In that list where you select "All networks".

any help guys?

:)Try TVersity media server,its free and its much easier to set up than window media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

My ps3 old type with 40 gb is making loads of noise.
    Doesn't happen when I'm just watching movies on hard drive, just happens after playing a game on a disc. Sometimes happens after 20 minutes other times after an hour.

Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it, it sounds like a fairly noisy Hoover!

It's only about a year old and I've barely played any games on it. Just watched about 20 blurays, maybe 100 hours of gaming then watched loads of stuff of external hard drive.
    Bought on eBay brand new in box from UK but don't think its be under warranty at all.
    Just checked there and it was purchased on 30/04/09 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Keith186 wrote: »
    My ps3 old type with 40 gb is making loads of noise.
    Doesn't happen when I'm just watching movies on hard drive, just happens after playing a game on a disc. Sometimes happens after 20 minutes other times after an hour.

Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it, it sounds like a fairly noisy Hoover!

It's only about a year old and I've barely played any games on it. Just watched about 20 blurays, maybe 100 hours of gaming then watched loads of stuff of external hard drive.
    Bought on eBay brand new in box from UK but don't think its be under warranty at all.
    Just checked there and it was purchased on 30/04/09 :-(
    If it sounds like a hoover, the fan is working overtime to cool the unit down. Check that it is in a well ventilated area, also that the air intakes are not clogged with dust (clean the vents with a low powered hoover). These models suffer from overheating, which can be a pre cursor to YLOD, make back ups of your game saves regular. You might want to consider trading it in before it packs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Slick50 wrote: »
    If it sounds like a hoover, the fan is working overtime to cool the unit down. Check that it is in a well ventilated area, also that the air intakes are not clogged with dust (clean the vents with a low powered hoover). These models suffer from overheating, which can be a pre cursor to YLOD, make back ups of your game saves regular. You might want to consider trading it in before it packs up.

I have it on top of a PVR box so that's probably heating it up a little. I'll try moving it elsewhere and Hoover the dust out see of that sorts it out. If not I may trade in for something...

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bit of a technophobe, so here comes some stupids question

trying to sign up for PSN, and get the message "An Ethernet cable is not connected"

is an ethernet cable something that came with the ps3, or will I have to buy one off ebay?
    and what do I need to connect it to? my router? my laptop?

(cue sniggering)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

bit of a technophobe, so here comes some stupids question

trying to sign up for PSN, and get the message "An Ethernet cable is not connected"

is an ethernet cable something that came with the ps3, or will I have to buy one off ebay?
    and what do I need to connect it to? my router? my laptop?

(cue sniggering)

No sniggering...*giggles*...sorry.

An "ethernet cable is not connected" tells me that you are trying to connect to the internet on the PS3, but you are not connected.
    Re-read the manual to make sure you are doing things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,

Turned on my PS3(60gb version) today and have a solid red / flashing green light.

When I power up it goes green for a second then solid red / flashing green and nothing shows up on the screen.

Tried some of the tips online like removing the hard drive for 10 minutes and restarting but didn't work.

Can't get into the menu to do a factory reset either.(by holding power for 10sec etc)

Is it bricked?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Since every second thread on here lately seems to be asking about some sort of technical problem with the PS3, may as well try and keep all the main information and questions centered in one place. So post here if you are having any problems, or if you have any solutions :)

I'm not an expert on this, so if you guys post the necessary information about YLOD etc... I'll update this first post with some of the most frequently asked problems and solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

Guys can ye help me please. My ps3 is a refurbished one i got because my first one went ylod. Anyway when i start the ps3 it starts perfect then the weirdest thing ever green spots and green lines appear on my tv, then the ps3 freezes , you can eject the game but the screen still remains frozen. I was reading that gpu or cpu ?? is dying ,so is it possible to get this fixed or should just buy a new ps3

Guys can ye help me please. My ps3 is a refurbished one i got because my first one went ylod. Anyway when i start the ps3 it starts perfect then the weirdest thing ever green spots and green lines appear on my tv, then the ps3 freezes , you can eject the game but the screen still remains frozen. I was reading that gpu or cpu ?? is dying ,so is it possible to get this fixed or should just buy a new ps3

Refurbed...personally, I'd get rid of it, unless it's still in warranty.
    €80ish to fix, an extra €150 gets you a new PS3.
    Back up your HDD, that way you can put it onto your new PS3, if you decide to buy one.
    Back up your HDD now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Is my playstation gone to its grave :( I can turn it on no problem then after about 2mins it cuts off and the red light starts flashing, i press the reset button and it stops flashing red and stays red then i press it again and it trys 2 come on but the red light goes a yellow / orange colour.

Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Can you recommend someone to fix a PS3 please in Dublin Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Hey guys.

Need your help!!

I have been away since the start of December, only got back last week.
    Got my hands on FFXIII and started up the PS3.
    I updated it first, then tried to play the game, no joy.

The console isn't reading discs at all. The little loading icon appears in the top right when I put the disc in, but it doesn't load. I can't even hear the disc spinning. Can't even use a lens cleaner as it won't spin either.

I read that people were having problems after installing a certain update, 3.51 or something? Cuz I've been away for so long, I probably have installed that or a later version, can't remember what it was.

Anyway, laser seems to be ****ed. I have the old 60gb backwards compatibility model which I got when it first came out, so no warranty.

Rang some Sony Ireland helpline number and was given a reference number. I have to go to the Smyth's where the PS3 was bought a few years ago, show them this ref number, then shell out €160 up to get a replacement.

I'm raging.

I don't really have any other options though. Would I be able to get another backwards compatibility model from Smyths or would they just give me a new model? I really do want a b/c one.

If I can't, I'd just get it repaired.

I found 2 websites:

http://www.consolerepairs.ie/

and

http://consolerepairsireland.ie/

They actually seem to be the same crowd as the address is the same for both.

Are they any use, and any idea of what it would cost me to use them?

I emailed the first one, but just expecting the usual spiel of them needing to check it out first before they quote me.

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Seems to a be a popular issue with not many solutions - most just blame PSN servers but i've gotten fast speeds of them before and the speed decrease from what speed-test is saying (10mb/s) to what i'm actually getting through the PS3 (about 20 kb/s) says something else is the issue.

What issue does NAT level 3 have as read that this used to be an issue?
    I have a DLINK DIR-600, with UPnP enabled and have put the PS3 in the DMZ but nothing seems to help.

Any other ideas i.e. forward ports etc?

Really annoying as trying to download MOH Beta and it taking hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'm having a similar issue as Tread Softly but mine will play a DVD, but if I insert a PS3 disc it won't read it.

Any ideas?

I'm having a similar issue as Tread Softly but mine will play a DVD, but if I insert a PS3 disc it won't read it.

Any ideas?

Blu ray driver is broken. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

F1ngers wrote: »
    Blu ray driver is broken. :(

Great.

Sounds like I'm better off buying a new console at that rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Hi guys,

Turned on my PS3(60gb version) today and have a solid red / flashing green light.

When I power up it goes green for a second then solid red / flashing green and nothing shows up on the screen.

Tried some of the tips online like removing the hard drive for 10 minutes and restarting but didn't work.

Can't get into the menu to do a factory reset either.(by holding power for 10sec etc)

Is it bricked?

Same exact thing happened to my 60GB as well last night. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got psn+ with lbp and i can't install it, i have the blue ray would existing data cause a problem the error code i'm getting is 80029654 this happens at the same % point. Fixed it, just disabled the SPI firewall on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shinto29

Hey guys.

Need your help!!

I have been away since the start of December, only got back last week.
    Got my hands on FFXIII and started up the PS3.
    I updated it first, then tried to play the game, no joy.

The console isn't reading discs at all. The little loading icon appears in the top right when I put the disc in, but it doesn't load. I can't even hear the disc spinning. Can't even use a lens cleaner as it won't spin either.

I read that people were having problems after installing a certain update, 3.51 or something? Cuz I've been away for so long, I probably have installed that or a later version, can't remember what it was.

Anyway, laser seems to be ****ed. I have the old 60gb backwards compatibility model which I got when it first came out, so no warranty.

Rang some Sony Ireland helpline number and was given a reference number. I have to go to the Smyth's where the PS3 was bought a few years ago, show them this ref number, then shell out €160 up to get a replacement.

I'm raging.

I don't really have any other options though. Would I be able to get another backwards compatibility model from Smyths or would they just give me a new model? I really do want a b/c one.

If I can't, I'd just get it repaired.

I found 2 websites:

http://www.consolerepairs.ie/

and

http://consolerepairsireland.ie/

They actually seem to be the same crowd as the address is the same for both.

Are they any use, and any idea of what it would cost me to use them?

I emailed the first one, but just expecting the usual spiel of them needing to check it out first before they quote me.

Thank you!!!
    Ah yes listen backup your HDD and sent it off to sony for a fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Just thought I would post my experience of fixing my PS3 in the event that it may be useful to others. It's a fat model, 80gb.

I was playing MW2 about a week ago, and we had a power cut. Next time I switched on the unit, it went through Database Rebuilds and System Restore etc. This happened intermittently over the last week or so, until eventually, it wouldn't switch on at all.

Started it in safe mode - not sure if that's the correct term - it basically brings up a menu of 6 items, eg system restore, download latest update etc. To do this, make sure the unit is switched on at the back, and press the power button, and keep it pressed, until you hear one beep, followed by another beep, followed by beeps in quick succession. (Beep, Beep, Beep-Beep).

From here I tried a multitude of options, such as the system restore and database rebuild etc. Nothing worked. I would get errors stating that the hard drive had become corrupted, and that the hard drive was inaccessible. Strangely though, I thought, the system was able to reformat the hard drive, but was still unable to access it.

So today, I purchased a 320gb hard drive, and following instructions available on youtube, I inserted it in place of my old 80gb hard drive. The PS3 started successfully, but I had to re-enter my account name etc, and set up network settings again. DLC and demos that I had downloaded have disappeared, but I am able to download them again from the PS store, using my existing PSN username. I also lost my game save for MW2 but didn't really care as I'm only interested in playing the online part of that game, which is saved on Infinity Ward / Activision / PSN servers.

So, I'm back in action thankfully, and now have a 320gb harddrive to consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

hello, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

I have an acer laptop with 3 broadband and I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to online gaming and stuff so I just wanna know how to connect to the playstation network or can I?

I know since 3 broadband isnt exactly the quickest so I probably wont be able to play online but the way gaming has gone Im missing loads of DLC so Im wondering could I download DLC if I managed to connect to the internet with the PS3?

any help much appreciated :)
    (please dont laugh at my thickness when it comes to PS3 internet stuff :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

My ps3 says it cant start because the correct hard disk cant be found:confused:

Googled it and tried the suggestions( turning it on and off, holding the power button until it beeps twice, and took the hard drive out and put it back in again.)

Went into gamestop and they never heard of it before.

Bought it in 2008 so the warranty would be well gone.

Anyone have this problem before? Can it be fixed or is the ps3 knackered? :(

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I just bought a 20euro game card for PS3 to but some new maps but when I enter the code it wont work! Id anyone one having the same trouble? Any tips on how I van fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Update: It's still not working!
    An error has occurred.
    (80023156)

Anyone know what I do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭zeemax

hi guys my old style 40 gig ps3 gave up the ghost in the middle of a online game in modern warfare 2. its that dreaded yellow light syndrome. no is there any way i can get all my save stuff of my old playstation and transfer it to the shiney new slim sitting in front of me. dont really want to play all the games again but will do at a push:D. what do i do
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

My fat 60 GIG (I think) has stopped working since the last update. I got it playing straight after update but the next time I powered it up it started normally with regards lights and the fan runs but there is nothing registering on the tv and also the controller power up and hunt then switch off. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Why do i keep getting signed out of PSN?? I did an Internet connection test and everything was fine then when i start a game i get signed out. :(:(

Keithm89 wrote: »
    Why do i keep getting signed out of PSN?? I did an Internet connection test and everything was fine then when i start a game i get signed out. :(:(

Who is your ISP?

When I was with Irish Broadband, I kept getting signed out at odd times.
    With UPC now and all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

F1ngers wrote: »
    Who is your ISP?

When I was with Irish Broadband, I kept getting signed out at odd times.
    With UPC now and all is good.

Its Digiweb - never had a problem with them before

Advertisement