Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Moore query/observation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I don't know. But what i do know is Little Musgrave is an excellent song and Christy performs it so well dese days and back den too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

It certainly is an excellent song and much better than the Matty Groves version.

Crusty is vastly over-rated IMHO, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

podge3 wrote: »
    Crusty is vastly over-rated IMHO, though.

Ah why? He's the ultimate folk singer, even though I wouldn't like to pin him in any catagory. Take that Little Musgrave clip from the Vicar Street gig, he puts everything into it, the way he closes his eyes and lives every moment. I've never been to a bad Christy gig, and I've been to quite a few!

Ah why?
    I'm not saying he is a bad singer/performer but he does not deserve the god-like status that some people give him - IMHO, of course :).

For example, Little Musgrave on his box set is sang by someone else (probably from Planxty?) and sounds much better than Christy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mucri

I don't know. But what i do know is Little Musgrave is an excellent song and Christy performs it so well dese days and back den too.

...true!

• Advertisement

podge3 wrote: »
    For example, Little Musgrave on his box set is sang by someone else (probably from Planxty?) and sounds much better than Christy himself.

That is Christy! Just a younger version of him, his voice was quite different back then.

That is Christy! Just a younger version of him, his voice was quite different back then.
    OMG! Is that really him :o. He sounds sooooo different :eek:. Had his voice broken? :D.

This is the version:

His "th"s were even better in those days.

Oh well, thats exhausted what I thought I knew about Crusty.

Don't like this version:

His guitar playing is excellent but the words are all out of kilter.

Wow, you do know a lot of versions of that song!

His guitar playing is very nice. Not too fond of that version either but if I'd heard that one first who knows, I'd say it could grow on me.

That version you have is Christy alright, no mistake. He sang like that on his first few albums, that particular version is from his eponymously titled album.

Have you heard Nic Jones singing this? That's my second favourite after Planxty in the Point 2004 or Planxty at Vicar Street CD - which is different from the DVD actually, the CD version is slightly better, but you'd only notice if you're a real Christy fan :P

Wow, you do know a lot of versions of that song!
    I only heard it for the first time on Sunday :).

Someone gave me Christys Box Set ages ago but I only played it for the first time on Sunday. As I'm not really a Christy fan, it was more "background" music.

However when that song came on, the melody really got into my head. I couldn't stop humming it. When I checked out the background to the song I was really hooked. Its absolutely fantastic - love, lust, betrayal, murder etc. And its from 400 years ago.

You could write a film around that song. Its just goes to show how empty some of the sh!te that passes for music nowadays is.

So, anyhoo, I found lots of versions of the song when I went looking. But my favourite is the first one I heard - and its Christy!!. I thought it must have been a guest singer or something. Doesn't sound a bit like him.

Have you hear the Fairport version of the song - well, its another song written around the same old story:

I haven't heard the Nic Jones version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement