Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet hedgehog

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This has put me off hedgehogs - the dangers of pets ,,,,,,,,
    http://www.hedgehogsaspets.com/

Most pets carry some zoonotic diseases! Like most things in life - simply hygiene is enough! I keep hundreds of pets & have not died yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Petstop in blanchardstown shopping centre sells them.

Well they did a month ago when I went there, go in and ask them for breeders numbers, they are very helpful!

Hedgehogs themselves were 200 as far as I can remember, only asked for an estimate!

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Hedgehogs will only eats slugs if there is nothing else and they get eventually get lungworm from eating them too often. I wouldn't recommend feeding them to a captive hedgehog when a tin of cat food in LIDL is 29c.

'cptr
    Can't understand why you'd pay €300 for a hedgehog then feed it that c*** out of lidl...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Can't understand why you'd pay €300 for a hedgehog then feed it that c*** out of lidl...

Me neither - I only keep injured wild hedgehogs and they love it. I was however pointing out that there is no need to feed slugs to hedgehogs - there are plenty of suitable foods available.

The dry kitten food from LIDL is perfectly suited to feeding any hedgehog as the nuggets are small, they can't walk in it and drag it everywhere and they can eat it whenever they want without it going stale. A source of clean water is vital with any dry food.

Live meal worms and crickets are also popular but you would want to win the lottery to be able to feed exclusively with them.

African Pygmy Hedgies would need a lower protien diet than an exclusively cat-food based one. Thats why I listed all the fruit and chopped peanuts. I was in with a vet and he said that he had fed bread and milk to two hedgehogs and couldn't understand why they had died:eek:

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickeymoney

Me neither - I only keep injured wild hedgehogs and they love it. I was however pointing out that there is no need to feed slugs to hedgehogs - there are plenty of suitable foods available.

> It ilegal to keep wild healthy ones I hear. Fair play to you for keeping wild ones.

African Pygmy Hedgies would need a lower protien diet than an exclusively cat-food based one. Thats why I listed all the fruit and chopped peanuts. I was in with a vet and he said that he had fed bread and milk to two hedgehogs and couldn't understand why they had died:eek:

> Care to name the Vet?

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The first thing that comes to my mind is, with a cat if you accidentally step on it it will shriek and run and will probably be absolutely fine.

Can't imagine what the outcome would be if a poor hedgehog were accidentally stepped on by it's owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The first thing that comes to my mind is, with a cat if you accidentally step on it it will shriek and run and will probably be absolutely fine.

Can't imagine what the outcome would be if a poor hedgehog were accidentally stepped on by it's owner.

You dragged up a two year old thread for that???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Honey-ec wrote: »

You dragged up a two year old thread for that???
    Well I was googling pet hedgehog after watching an interesting and cute video on YouTube. This was the first hit and I was just thinking out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

And as this is going nowhere....
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement