Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilderberg Group

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Yet another thread killed beyond my powers of necro....

*sigh*

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

-philia or -mancy?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Kama you wrote a very long post on a subject that isn't really involved in this forum. I'd suggest you try humanities. You'd get a more measured and intelligent response from a variety of reasons.
    Kama wrote: »
    Thanks for the measured response. As said, I wouldn't be able to give you a pragmatic solution to our collective problems, wish I could. I agree the surveillance concept is totalitarian, and has severe privacy implications, and then scale/span/intensity issues. But its a direction which we are moving in, both technologically and socially, anyway, so the costs both in implementation and privacy are steadily shrinking. Tracking through data-mining from multiple traces are already moving towards this; we already all carry mobiles being the cheap example.

And all that is all well and good, you're essentially suggesting that we make a class of people (public servants) undergo the most extreme level of surveillance. Again would you take a job if you had to account for your actions/location 24/7?

If the results of the decisions that those quiet businesspeople make cause crowds of the local village, excluded from the decision-making process, to gather outside protesting, I'd definitely think about making them open meetings...

Crowds? Did you read Jon Ronson's article? The "crowd" was three journalists.

And you seem quite allergic to it. Also an observation. Like any tool, it has uses and problems. But is has a certain affinity with CT, for better or worse. You can be attached to something and annoyed by it, I get that a lot.

Not allergic, contemptuous. I'd suggest you read "How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World" by Francis Wheen
    his chapter about post-modernism, entitled simply "the demolition merchants of reality". He describes how, since Michel Foucault's writings captured the intellectual mood in the early 1980s, many students in the humanities have been taught "that the world is just a socially constructed 'text' about which you can say just about anything you want, provided you say it murkily enough." He quotes the left-wing American Barbara Ehrenreich, who explains that her daughter was marked down for using the word "reality" without quotation marks.

Post modernism is a pretentious idealogical dead end allowing certain people to pontificate and justify everything from the Iranian revolution, to allowing Luce Irigaray's to say that E=mc2 as a "sexed equation", since "it privileges the speed of light over other less masculine speeds."

Mathematics as a forum of sexism? Post Modernism is well frankly the content filter would not allow me to print what I consider post modernism to be.
    On Salmon and Solutions:

I hope I'm swimming against the stream; if you don't like where you are being carried, its that or apathy. Not swimming hard enough yet, but hey...

Yes all the examples were localised, they were models or examples of things people have been doing or are developing. If they were 'done' already, it wouldn't be necessary. Some of them, like Transition Towns, have exceptional growth rates as social movements, and are leveraging social awareness into change, and most have (relative) ease of implementation. I'm not pushing for some kind of immediate autarky on some kind of commune, hand-building steampunk PDA's from potatoskins; a lot of the localist argument is that the world-system is highly vulnerable to systemic shocks, of which the current fave is liquid fuels and energy, though food and water supply are also key.

We've been working of a globalist system for over 300 years. I agree that we shouldn't be getting grapes from Israeli and flowers from Kenya, but I cannot for the life of me see what the feck this has to do with bliderberg.

The objective is not to instantly replace everything with a shiny new world designed by Kama and Friends, but that when shocks come, you have greater resilience to them. Our current system appears highly vulnerable, and has very few failsafes, because redundancy is often uneconomic, especially if the risk is priced low: as subprime seemed to show, risk in derivatives was consistently underpriced. Especially if you assume, even as hedged bet, a Peak Oil scenario, there are similar risks on the more mundane material economic level. Relocalization can reduce the impact of those risks.

I'm sorry but if I was playing bullshít bingo, I'd just be shouting "house".

There have been at least three house price crashes in my lifetime. It happens. Stock markets rise, and they fall. Simply smattering your posts with a couple of buzz words and referencing a current global issue isn't an argument.m

I don't know, so I'll cede the point. I'd need to know more on collaborative democratic design, but I believe there are movements towards this coming from open source design principles. But I haven't seen any hard enough examples to try and argue it.

The difference between writing code and building a bridge is just so fecking vast.
    Yes, I would much prefer if global trade was more democratically based, I don't think I'm alone in that. Negotiating strategies like Green Room lockouts at the WTO are almost exactly what I mean by untransparent and exclusionary legislation without representation. It might be efficient, but its not right.

Nothing I disagree with there.

Now how do you suppose that happens?

I think pharmaceutical research would work a lot better without current patent law, with freer sharing of research information, with a marginal effect on incentive. Transparency isn't democracy, but...

Why wouldn't it affect incentive. It may cost 5 cents to make the 2nd pill, however tens of millions go into research to make the first one.
    I'll take that as a compliment, even if it saddens you; and unlike streams, tides flow back again. If the tide was going that way to begin with, I wouldn't be qq'ing so much and pointing out small wavelets turning back against the general trend.

A question though: do you disagree primarily in principle, or on pragmatic grounds?

Pragmatic. Lots of people stand outside G8 summits, and WTO meetings, with signs saying "Smash the WTO", asking them to build a working alternative though...
    Exactly. Now, I've said what my 'conspiracy' is, both in terms of what I think is going wrong, and what I blame, and what scares me. I'm curious if you could tell me what yours are? What are the 'real problems'?

Pretty much the same. I'd suggest you read Joesph Stiglitz's Globalisation and it's Discontents as a good primer. I think your solutions are naive at best.

(Besides loony CT heads and PoMo longwinded fools such as myself :D)

And thanks again for your developed and thought-provoking response.[/QUOTE]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

just back up here for a Second,

you cant see how Bildeberg and the NWO (sekritt societies) have any connection to the CT Forum.

Troll

Seriously like, have you been paying attention at all?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Kama you wrote a very long post on a subject that isn't really involved in this forum.

Didn't think discussing B'berg and was that far off the purpose of the forum, unless the purpose of the forum is to have people write something about CT, and then be rebutted Randi-style ofc...or was that a polite gtfo?

You asked, pretty directly, what I thought was a solution. I responded, with typically un-postmodern honesty and directness, with determined naivety rather than a jaded cynicism. I didn't exactly regurgitate 'Towards a Transformative Hermeneutic of Quantum Gravity' there m8...
    Post modernism is a pretentious idealogical dead end allowing certain people to pontificate and justify everything from the Iranian revolution, to allowing Luce Irigaray's to say that E=mc2 as a "sexed equation", since "it privileges the speed of light over other less masculine speeds."

Now this is a discussion better suited to the Humanities forum, if you'd prefer to have it there...Since I hadn't made any extreme relativist statements, or tried to use anything even mildly deconstructive, can't help but feel you're tilting at windmills here...
    There have been at least three house price crashes in my lifetime. It happens. Stock markets rise, and they fall. Simply smattering your posts with a couple of buzz words and referencing a current global issue isn't an argument.

Um. There is a definite argument for building resilience in economic systems, it comes from risk analysis and scenario planning. There is a real danger of severe financial problems in the world, many of them linked with financial liberalization; examples include credit-default swaps and collateralized debt obligations. Warren Buffet called them 'financial weapons of mass destructions'. Spreading risk through the economy makes it safer in a small upset, but less stable in a large one. Afaik this is pretty accepted stuff, call me on it if not, but don't just say 'omg buzzword lalala'. Peak oil isn't a fact, but its a possible scenario it *might* be sensible to hedge against; this has been core to the Transition Towns movement. And so on...
    Why wouldn't it affect incentive. It may cost 5 cents to make the 2nd pill, however tens of millions go into research to make the first one.

I suggest you read Ha-Joon Chang, a friend of Stiglitz. The question (and this is offtopic) is is the loss in incentive worth the inefficiencies from duplication of work due to lack of information sharing. More to it than that, but as said, off-topic. Perhaps we can take it up in Econ?
    Pragmatic. Lots of people stand outside G8 summits, and WTO meetings, with signs saying "Smash the WTO", asking them to build a working alternative though...

Ok good, glad we're on the same page. What do you consider a 'working alternative' to a elite-dominated society, aka 'Bilderberg', aka 'The Conspiracy'? Tell us more of your 'working alternative', sounds like a good conspiracy...
    Pretty much the same. I'd suggest you read Joesph Stiglitz's Globalisation and it's Discontents as a good primer. I think your solutions are naive at best.

Never said solved, pointed directions thought fertile.

Proffer your own; otherwise you seem to be following the pattern of both postmodernism and conspiracy theory; complaining about the actions of others while making no better suggestion yourself. Which, as you say, is a dead-end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

just back up here for a Second,

you cant see how Bildeberg and the NWO (sekritt societies) have any connection to the CT Forum.

Troll

Ummm...I know you and Diogenes fail to see eye to eye, but his comment about irrelevance clearly addresses post 31, which doesn't mention Bilderberg, NWO, or anything like that.

If anything, it offers a perfectly "vanilla flavoured" look at issues that no-one would sanely argue do not exist, and does not attempt once to anything other than acknowledge that they are issues that Kama cannot offer a solution for.
    Seriously like, have you been paying attention at all?????
    I certainly have been, and I'm left wondering how you conclude post 31 refers to NWO and Bilderberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Kama wrote: »
    Didn't think discussing B'berg and was that far off the purpose of the forum, unless the purpose of the forum is to have people write something about CT, and then be rebutted Randi-style ofc...or was that a polite gtfo?

No more like you seem like an intelligent, educated poster, and if you were interested in a intelligent debate with a varied response from different view points you'd get a better debate on a different subforum.
    You asked, pretty directly, what I thought was a solution. I responded, with typically un-postmodern honesty and directness, with determined naivety rather than a jaded cynicism. I didn't exactly regurgitate 'Towards a Transformative Hermeneutic of Quantum Gravity' there m8...

Now this is a discussion better suited to the Humanities forum, if you'd prefer to have it there...Since I hadn't made any extreme relativist statements, or tried to use anything even mildly deconstructive, can't help but feel you're tilting at windmills here...

And I can't help thinking you're engaging in the exact behaviour I'm referring to. I noticed you ignored the exact reasons, where I objected to postmodernism, and explained why.
    Um. There is a definite argument for building resilience in economic systems, it comes from risk analysis and scenario planning. There is a real danger of severe financial problems in the world, many of them linked with financial liberalization; examples include credit-default swaps and collateralized debt obligations. Warren Buffet called them 'financial weapons of mass destructions'. Spreading risk through the economy makes it safer in a small upset, but less stable in a large one. Afaik this is pretty accepted stuff, call me on it if not, but don't just say 'omg buzzword lalala'. Peak oil isn't a fact, but its a possible scenario it *might* be sensible to hedge against; this has been core to the Transition Towns movement. And so on...

Firstly if you want me to argue that the current economic model is viable I'm not going to argue with you. For example I sold my house in February because of what I thought was coming in the UK housing marketing (by "i" I mean "my wife") But what you are suggesting is constant economic control by government, and when a government is elected it is pretty much a dead cert that every time There's a Attlee or Roosevelt creating an NHS or New Deal there will be a Thatcher or Regan ready to tear it down a few decades later, and whats more, the public support to allow them to do it. As was there was support for Attlee and Roosevelt in the first place. People change, society changes, things changes, there's no simple model for a solution.

I suggest you read Ha-Joon Chang, a friend of Stiglitz. The question (and this is offtopic) is is the loss in incentive worth the inefficiencies from duplication of work due to lack of information sharing. More to it than that, but as said, off-topic. Perhaps we can take it up in Econ?

I have. I've had a long argument with a pharmacologist about it. (I was arguing your position) Her argument was, a third world country can replicate simple drugs (ie aspirin) a 2nd world country can replicate something like anti viral (ie AIDs drugs) and a 1st world country is needed for genuine research. A major pharmacology company needs 1000s of researchers and support staff to spend years investigating and testing drugs.
    Ok good, glad we're on the same page. What do you consider a 'working alternative' to a elite-dominated society, aka 'Bilderberg', aka 'The Conspiracy'? Tell us more of your 'working alternative', sounds like a good conspiracy...

Woa. Where did I suggest an alternative? Do I think there is a magic system that replaces the current one? No. Sorry I don't. I'm merely pointing out that any alternative (like your GPS tracking of politicians is fraught with a variety of problems that will make the situation worse.

If you look at Ireland's longest serving Taoiseach's, De Valera con'd thousands of people out of money to give him control of the Irish Press, Haughey, christ don't get me started, And Ahere? A man who claims it was okay to be minister for finance when he didn't have a bank account? Whats funny is we elected and elected and elected these men over and over again. People are docile and stupid and generally don't think too far or too latterly

Firstly I don't think humanity as a whole doesn't do anything till the fire is at their door. World War 2 forced humanity to really invest in new technology I development in human history.

I don't think there will be a radical reinvention of our forum of government until theres a massive consensus. And I don't think this consensus will happen unless we are desperate.

Never said solved, pointed directions thought fertile.

Proffer your own; otherwise you seem to be following the pattern of both postmodernism and conspiracy theory; complaining about the actions of others while making no better suggestion yourself. Which, as you say, is a dead-end...

No offence Kama, but you've not created an intelligent or coherent alternative aside from "gps tracking civil servants"

The Bilderberg group isn't an isolated incident, there was massive conference in Dublin in 2001 featuring some jaw dropping attendees

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/pagegen/newsletter/2002/

Your basic argument is that "world leaders and politicians should not engage in informal but organised discussion in private". Speaking to friends of mine who were at the World Aids Conference, and other friends of mine who attended the Olympic opening ceremony, and how politicians decamped from one to another there were many chances for informal chats.

They are politicians Kama, we elect them to represent us, essentially, we entrust them. You may not have liked the choice your countrymen made, but you have to respect that choice. No matter how it annoys and enrages you. Its not a perfect system. But it works. Please lay out an alternative.

We have more political accountability than at any period in human history. For the last, what? 25 years? We've submitted to a greater authority to our own government, the EU court of human rights. With things like the FoI act we can hold our governments to a greater degree of accountability.
    Politicians have to make account of their funding and donations they've received.

It's not perfect, not by a long shot. You get tens of thousands of people turning up and paying to watch a football match, but a tenth of that to a climate camp against Heathrow. Until you manage to change public opinion , well, now thats the trick.

As to me? I donate to charities, I try and educate people on this forum that there isn't some cackling global elite who want to destroy this world because they are "evil". I also, for example, spent a couple of weekends this year cutting a documentary for the salvation army on the importance of financing fresh water wells in Africa.

I don't think there's an easy answer. I'm curious what yours is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭buddyonair

Diogenes wrote: »
    I don't think there's an easy answer.

This sums it up guys. Let's just leave it here.

Obviously two almost different ideas/visions were colliding here. In some point you are close but in many one is too far away from the other.

My guess is that nobody knows the solution otherwise it would be already in action.

It is very nice to see you guys having a good arguementation but it shouldn't get farer than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭buddyonair

buddyonair wrote: »
    My guess is that nobody knows the solution otherwise it would be already in action.

I think Barak Obama has found a solution. Anyone seen his speech from yesterday? :pac:

Advertisement