Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Clamping Companies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Given that most cars have four wheels...........

Correction
    1) Buy 4 clamps.....

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Yesterday Aug 3rd, Liffey Valley SC
    My wife parked in a disabled bay, she had our 2 disabled sons and was clearly displaying the parking permit, their car was clamped and a large sticker applied to drivers window, when she called the clamping company they said that the permit was expired so they were fully justified in clamping the vehicle and charging €100 for release
    Tuesday after the bank holiday was a slow day at Liffey Valley with plenty of disabled spaces available, the fact that our permit was due for renewal does not render it expired like a tax disc,
    The clampers checked with the Irish Wheelchair Association after the event who confirmed our permit was genuine but they did not refund the fee

What are my options? can I complain to anybody or are the clampers a law unto themselves?

I do not think shopping centres that employ predatory clampers deserve your custom..maybe thats the best way to hit back, this has worked in the UK were the government are cutting back on driver unfriendly policies like clamping and speed cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's a disgrace. Could you see about getting a solicitor maybe? And contact the shopping centre as well to let them know what's going on. Obviously because it was a slow day, they needed to generate a bit of extra cash by hitting people like yourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

What's to stop a driver from putting something magnetic on his wheels? Somethign that just pops on & off easily but wouldn't allow a clamp to be fitted correctly. Surely the clampers couldn't remove it and clamp you or they could be seen as interferring with your property?

I'm trying to think of ideas something along those lines.

NET054-1A.jpg

I have 1 of those for my home computer. Now I wouldn't use that but what's to stop using soemthing similiar. It would easily pop onto the wheel, you could carry 4 in the booth. They wouldn't protrude out far enough so will stay within your car space. I'd love to test out somethign like that and watch recording any clamper who camp.Surely you would have a case against them if they damage the item :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Bebop wrote: »
    My wife parked in a disabled bay, she had our 2 disabled sons and was clearly displaying the parking permit, their car was clamped and a large sticker applied to drivers window, when she called the clamping company they said that the permit was expired so they were fully justified in clamping the vehicle and charging €100 for release
    Tuesday after the bank holiday was a slow day at Liffey Valley with plenty of disabled spaces available, the fact that our permit was due for renewal does not render it expired like a tax disc,
    The clampers checked with the Irish Wheelchair Association after the event who confirmed our permit was genuine but they did not refund the fee

What are my options? can I complain to anybody or are the clampers a law unto themselves?

I do not think shopping centres that employ predatory clampers deserve your custom..maybe thats the best way to hit back, this has worked in the UK were the government are cutting back on driver unfriendly policies like clamping and speed cameras

Christ that's low. Give this langer a call or drop into him http://www.brianlenihan.ie, I take it because Liffy Valley is a private area/business the clampers are employed by them. You can sue via the Small Claims Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

Bebop wrote: »

I think these people should be brought to court for this type of behaviour, I really think you have a great case and don't just look for €100 back, get money for stress etc.. This is just bullying people into giving them money and should not be tolerated by anyone.

To the person that thinks they should put something on there wheeels so they can't be clamped, would it not just be better to park legally?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I have never been clamped as I know how to park my car and I pay when it's a P&D area. However I still do not like private clampers because I know if I was 2 minutes late back to my car with shopping I could be clamped. How do I know this because it happened to a car parked next to mine. The guys ticket was 2 minutes out and they had him clamped. Luckily I had 5 mins left on mine or I'm sure it would have been clamped.

So my theory is all in my head and never been tried by me. Just curious as to the effects if I did it. Technically they could not remove the item ay my wheels or damage it in anyway. They can try to it discreetly and claim they never saw it but my theory would be to watch and record them at my vehicle thus having evidence of them removing it. Criminal damage it would fall under if they so much as scraped it. My parking in a wrong spot won't come under scrutiny as they still had no right to criminally damage my property.

Advertisement