Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards doing sean kelly tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Guys I have a few pics of people, are u guys ok If i post them? Too bad I dont have dirkvoodoo standstill fall :) that was classic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Raam wrote: »
    Occupational hazard. Look out for yourself and cycle defensively. Main thing is to always protect your front wheel. If you touch someones rear wheel with your front wheel, chances are you will go down, and they will just feel a bump.

As always when there are lots of people not used to group riding, it was pretty dangerous for the first 20-30 km until things got spread out. One thing that freaked me out was that calling "on your outside" when passing actually resulted in some individuals moving out rather than holding their line!

What a brilliant event though. I thought the course, signage, marshalling, food & drink, and scenery were all top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

very enjoyable day,
    went around in 5:59,
    spent another hour eating brack and fixing punctures,
    it was all I could do not to get off the bike on the last part of the mahon falls, only for I knew the photographer at the top I probably would have,
    was so happy with myself I went on the piss until 6 this morning,

edit: only saw one boards jersey the entire day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

@Blorg, my preferred definition of mini-crash is someone coming off the bike sideways/over front, off back but being able to get up, put bike together and get going again. Proper crashes require ambulances. For people reading this next year, I didn't actually think the climbs anything like as bad as expected. I managed to stay aerobic throughout and no single climb was longer than about 4km (guesstimate). The descent from Mahon Falls is another matter though. I cried for my mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, mahon descent was hairy, myself and 72hundred had to keep pulling in because irate drivers cud not understand why we weren't tearing down the hill. If the surface were better I might have been tempted to go faster, but I have a healthy fear of loose chippings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

great photo's. Caroline I think I saw you before the start but got my 94's and my 99's mixed up.

Nice photos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well done to everyone who took part -am gutted I missed it actually

Yeah, plus one on both counts. You all did brilliantly, fair play to all of ye.

And completely gutted, but I just couldn't do it this time. Big incentive to make the effort next year.

Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

It thought it was a great spin and very well organised. I met a few of the boards crowd and stayed the night before with Quigs snr (who provided great accommodation and hospitality many thanks) Blorg, dirkbvodoo and empty.

By time i arrived in dungarvan there were already a lot of cyclist on the roads, but offical start had not rolled out. I met dirkvodoo and 72hundred at the start and we rolled out together. Along the way i found some of the lads from one of my neighbouring clubs so i stayed with them for the rest of the day.

I met blorg at the finish line but i had no interest in hanging around so i headed straight for the car and hit the high road.

It was great to see you guy and the 3 lads who stayed with quigs and quigs are really great lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

E@gle. wrote: »
    I met blorg at the finish line but i had no interest in hanging around so i headed straight for the car and hit the high road.
    Was it something I said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »

Probably something like "that was easy, let's do it again. Backwards. On a Fixie"? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Probably something like "that was easy, let's do it again. Backwards. On a Fixie"? :D

Funny you should say that. I was cycling with Blorg for part of it and I wondered aloud why he wasn't doing it on his fixie. I believe the response was something along the lines of, "Oh I think it's possible, but you [someone on a fixie] probably couldn't keep up on these [fast flat] stretches"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

blorg wrote: »

Ah no dont say that :p, i got a phone call to head out for some beer in athlone so i headed home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

What a day and what a course!
    I spent a large part of it with Barrabus (I think that's your online name, B??), Emty and Cadex. We had a good speed going and got in with a few groups along the way.
    Personally, it's the hardest cycle, by a long way, that I've ever done. I had the hills in mind, so had decided to keep a deliberatly slow pace on the hills to make sure I didn't kill myself and could last the route - I learned that one on the Boards 100/200.
    Seskin Hill was a really tough, short, hard hill. My thighs were nearly ready to stop at the top, but I made it alright. I went past loads of walkers which some how de-motivates and motivates me at the same time.
    Powers the Pot was fine. I think I'd agree with Emty and Cadex who likened it to the Wicklow Gap. A long, steepish climb that I found quite ok, keeping a good rhythm. In hindsight, I think this hurt me more than I thought at the time.
    Mahon Falls, however, was my undoing. It's long, steep and hard. I was finding it really tough and then, shortly before the car park, I looked up to my left and saw the final steep part. I totally lost heart and energy and had to get off the bike. I caught my breath, tried to continue and had to get off again. I walked the remaining 100-200m to the carpark and had refreshed a bit at that stage. I hopped back on the bike and flew up the final bit - as I'd been resting for 10 minutes. It was a totally demoralising feeling though.
    The next climb....where did that come from? I wasn't expecting that fella. It felt similarly steep to Powers the Pot but longer and I was already exhausted at that stage.
    After that one, I managed to draft most of the way back to Dungarvan. I was spent and couldn't push much more. I felt quite guilty just sitting at the back of a group, but I didn't have much option.
    Made it back in one piece anyway, but I do have a niggling left knee today - I started to feel it after the last climb.

Overall, I thought it was a very tough course, but very very well organised. I think there were more marshalls than at the Martin Earley Kildare cycle - taking into account that it was longer. I didn't spot much brack at the food stops (apart from the end). That's about the only organisational negative I can think of. I asked Sean to sign my certificate in person and I told him that Mahon Falls was an awful thing to put in a course like that. He winked at me and said that it had a right sting in the tail alright:D Great man!

Forgot to say, I clocked it at 6:41, but I'd say I can take around 10 mins off that when I take getting from the B&B and wheeling around outside before the event into account.

I asked Sean to sign my certificate in person and I told him that Mahon Falls was an awful thing to put in a course like that. He winked at me and said that it had a right sting in the tail alright:D Great man!

Sean really is a class act. He was so patient with people taking photos with him, and then when they want to take a few more, he's happy to pose away.
    He had time for everybody no matter who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sean really is a class act. He was so patient with people taking photos with him, and then when they want to take a few more, he's happy to pose away.
    +1, he must have been standing there for several hours signing and posing between when he came in and when Boards finally mobbed him for our photo! And before the ride, talking to people at the food stops, on the ride, and at registration the previous day, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

+1. Delighted to have a photo with him and so unassuming .
    I told him I did it in just under 8 hours and asked him how long it took him - he said "7 and a half " with a big sarcastic smile on his face... Top man

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

It was a good day out alright.
    I was sorry to be dropped by the Emty, Cadex and IrishMotorist before I got to Mahon Falls, I think the breath taking pace we went at between the first food stop and the water stop before powers pot had an effect on me .. but it was worth for the buzz of the pace.

Mahon Falls is a tough climb .... was very pleased with the way I got up it, in particluar when I did a blood test at the type and realised I was having a mild diabetic hypo !

Our SK group photos are really class!!! I particularly like the one when Sean Kelly amd Mike stare at my cup of tea ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Our SK group photos are really class!!! I particularly like the one when Sean Kelly amd Mike stare at my cup of tea ...

Maybe its the look of serenity on your face that has them transfixed. It looks like you're having a religeous experience.

el tonto wrote: »
    It looks like you're having a religeous experience.

Bless me Sean, for I have sinned. It's been two weeks since my last cycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

yes... tea.... that's what they're looking at :)

yes... tea.... that's what they're looking at :)

oh twisted minded you!!!

Where would one find this photo?

Picture%20008.jpg?imgmax=512
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where would one find this photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

+1. Yep - I registered on the Saturday afternoon and he was there chatting and having his photo taken at that stage. It was the same when I got in at the end - there was literally a queue of people looking for sigs, photos and a chat with him. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to put up with when you have hundreds of people telling you how great you are :D

Forgot to say earlier, thanks to the lads - Barrabus, Emty and Cadex - for the company on the road. I'm not the most talkative chap in the world, but it makes all the difference spinning along with a few familiar faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Great day,great weekend.Was on a real high all day thinking back on it.Having said that the whole day is a bit of a blur and am finding it tricky to remember the proper sequence of events.What does stand out is the fantastic positive vibe of the event.Everyone I met seemed on top form and it was such a pleasure to be in such company.Special thanks to Blorg and Cadex for their help with my blow-out at the start.A headless chicken would have been of more help then I was.Cadex was a great companion throughout the day keeping me focused on the task at hand as where Irishmotorist and Barrabus.Thanks lads!!
    A special mention must go to Quigs Snr and his lovely partner for their gracious hospitality in their home.They could not have been more welcoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

hey guys,

great event. my first proper long spin with proper climbs. delighted to have to done it, and delighted to meet up with the boards guys during and after! Big thanks to the organisers. Brilliant day food and water stops
    everywhere, especially the guys cheering on at the ascents, that really helped!
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yeah, mahon descent was hairy, myself and 72hundred had to keep pulling in because irate drivers cud not understand why we weren't tearing down the hill. If the surface were better I might have been tempted to go faster, but I have a healthy fear of loose chippings.
    I'm glad that I wasn't the only one thinking it was a little hairy on those descents! (Note to self; Tighten front brakes!)
    72oo :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Great day out and definitely the best organised event I've done, those cocktail sauages and orange juice at the end where badly needed!

Clocked 163.33 km in 6 hrs 30 mins with an average of 24.9 km/hr, 23,700 pedal revs!

Was hoping to do it in 6 hours but the climbs were nothing like I've expierenced before, like Irish motorist as I was climbing Mahon Falls I looked to the left and seen the steep ending so got off and walked for a few minutes before getting back on the bike. Going down on the other side was almost as tough as going up it, almost came off twice so had to slow down and ease my way down. The other hills weren't as bad and I got up them without stopping.

Only noticed 2 boards jerseys and on both occassions couldn't have held a conversation, so sorry for not saying hello! Everyone I did talk to seemed in good spirits and were friendly. Will definitely go back again next year but will definitely leave out the 320 mile round trip drive from Galway and stay up the night before!!

My back wheel was making some strange noises and my speedo fell off at one stage (very lucky to find the little screw on the road!) but otherwise I had no bike issue's. Seen a lot of punctures and on the first long climb 2 guys had caught their rear mech in the back wheel which broke away the drop-out.

Advertisement