Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New NUIG Sports Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Just heard back from my friends who are leaving this year and they were charged €250 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Cathy wrote: »
    Just heard back from my friends who are leaving this year and they were charged €250 each.

For the first year only I believe.

All other alumni who have paid some sort of mysterious levy since college year 04/05 pay 500yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MuireannO

Hi,

There was no referendum regarding the levy in Spring 04. The student charge tends to go up each year, sometimes it is the government portion which goes up, as it is this year, other times the students vote to increase it, as they did for the sports centre.

The university centre levy, which is the 100 euro being discussed, only began in September 2007, last year. This means only one years worth of graduates have paid the levy and would not have received the student price so the agreement was reached. All you need for student price is a student card, which anyone finished last year would still have. (if not, you can still get a print out from admissions as you would still be a registered student until the autumn).

I hope this clears some things up, any specific questions can be emailed to me at su.president@nuigalway.ie or I can phoned/texted at 086 385 5502.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hi Muireann,
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Any chance of getting the official rates for using the new sports centre for university clubs, for students who wish to hire the squash courts, pay-as-you-go gym users etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 skylar98

Hey guys new to boards so bare with me typed this already but new laptop and i deleted it before posting:o so here i go again. Rolypoly to the best of my knowledge there has aways been separate instructors with the classes. Joanne from crunch taught spinning (brill class) and abs blast, then there was the instructors from aras mac that taught the bodypump/attack and combat classes. I never joined crunch because i used to pay for the classes as i did them. Not sure if this is going to still be the case now. I know that in Kingfisher renmore i had a membership and had to pay extra to do the pump classes :( one of the reasons i left. If i remember rightly the membership to crunch was only E150 or so why is there such a big difference for students now? As regards the Alumni fees i have afriend who also remembers paying fees a couple of years back so this really needs some clarification!! Does anyone know if Kingfisher will be offering the attack and combat classes as they only had Pump advertised in Renmore. I met one of the Instructors from last semester and they said they would not be teaching for Kingfisher and they did not think any of the former Arus Instructors would be (no reason given) would love to know wot the story is as i loved just being able to go to classes. As regards the number signed up i have heard the same sales trick in gyms before "hurry or they will all be gone" wot worries me is how many memberships are reserved for public money? E500 and something makes much bigger profit at the end of the year!!! There should not be a cap for student membership, public membership should only be offered if the places are not taken by students this gym was meant to be built with students in mind, it seems to be mainly towards the commercial side. OK sorry for the rant

skylar98 wrote: »
    As regards the Alumni fees i have afriend who also remembers paying fees a couple of years back so this really needs some clarification!!

Thank you; I'm glad myself(or my friends) are not the only ones who remember this.

If there was no referendum in 04 then why do i distinctly remember being involved in the campaign for a yes vote:confused: as it meant societies were going to get extra facilities???

Why would I even know anything about this if all of this only started in 2007??

And why are they offering an alumni rate if it people only paid a levy in 2007?

I distinctly remember the campaign, i remeber at the time it was a very sensitive subject and we pushed it thru, and it was included in our reg fees for the following year.

And how were they going to raise 18million if they didnt begin to take the money from us in 2005??

We did definatley pay some contribution towards that centre; i am sure of it, I fail to see why we would be qualifiying for an alumni rate otherwise.

Thank you; I'm glad myself(or my friends) are not the only ones who remember this.

If there was no referendum in 04 then why do i distinctly remember being involved in the campaign for a yes vote as it meant societies were going to get extra facilities???

The referendum on the levy for the Sports Centre was in 2003
    http://su.nuigalway.ie/index.php?m=16&b=refer_rfp031
    but the levy was only introduced in September 2007. That is why those who graduate this year get an alumni rate, students only paid the Sports Centre levy for one year.

The referendum i presume you are referring to was in 2006 for student services - mainly health, entertainment, societies and clubs.
    http://su.nuigalway.ie/index.php?m=16&b=refer_rfp061

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ok so apart from the price what else do we know? Has all the machinery arrived yet? Whats it like? Is it open and ready for use?

2003/2004; hey it was a while ok!!;)

what an earth did we pay extra for then, because there was certainly an extra levy when i was in my final year 04/05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Ok so apart from the price what else do we know? Has all the machinery arrived yet? Whats it like? Is it open and ready for use?

I think it opened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

is this gym now taking memberships?

Read the referenda link manukahoney!

Also, there is a new gym in town ;)
    http://www.kingfisherclub.com/nuigalway.html

A list of their classes and rates
    http://www.kingfisherclub.com/timetable_nuigalway.html

And a free trial pass
    http://www.kingfisherclub.com/trial_pass.html

snubbleste wrote: »
    Read the referenda link manukahoney!

Honestly?

I couldn't be bothered. The college is only getting its act together in the last 3 years, they hardly painted the place while I was there.

Oh well; at least when they do bring back the fees there will be something worth paying for; i hope they dont expect the students to pay gym membership in that event though.

The alumni rate is a joke anyways. Corp membership is 105euro cheaper; how the hell is that fair:confused:

I'm sticking with where I am at the moment, theres no incentive for me to move to be honest.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Cole

The gym equipment is going in this week. Open next Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

One of the facilities they list is an, elite gym, don't suppose anyone knows what this will incorporate?

• Advertisement

A general sense of smugness?

A general sense of smugness?

Well thats a given :), but from the photos on the website (I know they are small and don't show alot) but I don't see any free weights area, power racks, benchs, chin-up/dipping stations etc, I wonder are these going to be only in the elite gym? And who will have access to this "Elite" gym?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

sharkDawg wrote: »
    One of the facilities they list is an, elite gym, don't suppose anyone knows what this will incorporate?

The elite gym will be for the scholarship students and all the various university teams i.e. soccer, rugby. Its a good idea as it will take them out of the ordinary gym and free up a lot more of the equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

Of all the colleges I've ever been to around the world NUIG is far and away the worst.

8 years in college and you come out with a statement like that...you are a tit! (who clearly hasn't travelled very far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well thats a given :), but from the photos on the website (I know they are small and don't show alot) but I don't see any free weights area, power racks, benchs, chin-up/dipping stations etc, I wonder are these going to be only in the elite gym? And who will have access to this "Elite" gym?

There will be free weights area, benches and power racks. So I was told anyway when I went on the tour.

The equipment only arrived yesterday and today so the picture showed is not a picture of the gym in the NUIG centre (or at the very least not a fully stocked one) cos the equipment hadn't arrived when it was taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Cole

Well thats a given :), but from the photos on the website (I know they are small and don't show alot) but I don't see any free weights area, power racks, benchs, chin-up/dipping stations etc,

I specifically asked about this and was assured it would be in the gym. They seem intent on providing all the equipment needed to satisfy everyone's requirements...lets wait and see.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The elite gym will be for the scholarship students and all the various university teams i.e. soccer, rugby. Its a good idea as it will take them out of the ordinary gym and free up a lot more of the equipment.

what do you mean by scholarship students? Won't people who want to lift heavy weights be allowed access to the "elite" gym?

Also I agree with cole, the staff will promise you whatever you ask when they are trying to get new members. I've had to join two other gyms in the past year, both times was told there would be a power rack coming. In fact I was told they were having one made in the second place, then when I asked about it again two weeks later she never heard of it. [/rant] So in summary I wouldn't assume there'll be anything there until you see it.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

See this is the part I don't get, firstly the number of students on scholarships is pretty minimal, its not like DCU's Sports Academy (where they rightly have their own gym). Are the members of the various teams going to pay gym membership to use this elite gym, after all it is run by kingfisher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

EJLL wrote: »
    8 years in college and you come out with a statement like that...you are a tit! (who clearly hasn't travelled very far)
    Thats way out of line.

I've travelled very far I can tell you and spent time in many colleges and college gyms in Europe, USA and Australia.

I'd agree with Brian. Until you see the gear in place believe nothing.
    Well I'm back to Maynooth in a few weeks where they have two power racks and everything a weightlifter would need.

From what I was told the elite gym just sounds like an empty room where they do there own stretches and the like. The sales guy said they would let others use it for classes like yoga if it was free.

From the NUIG Forum
    was just over at the gym, they are putting in the equipement, around a tonne of cardbord boxs out side, and big truck, gymtech is the company suppling the equipement, or at least that is what is on the truck. i asked one of the people at the desk about power racks, he said there are two smith machines, 2 power racks and one squat rack. didnt ask about the other equipement, some people were swimming in the pool.

Smith machines are such a waste of money, at least two power racks, thats something, hopefully there won't be too many doing curls in them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Signed up yesterday, and was asking about the Elite Gym. I was told it's another gym set up for high level athletes in GAA, Rugby, Rowing and other sports people operating at a high level in their particular sports.

It will have additional equipment over and above the standard gym. It seems it is more aimed at people that are already at a high level of strength and/or fitness. Rather than those hoping to get fit/strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

sorry john I think you do, as NUIG students have been paying for this crap for 3 years in now in the form of an increased student levey. Its almost one hundered euro dearer then the old student gym and from what I hear you can't use any aspect of it without paying €250 per year! BS!

I'm not sure what the setup now is but two years ago I was in GMIT and I was able to avail of the student rate in Crunch.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Krancjar

does the €250 membership cover both gym and pool or just the one of your choice???

Afaik the Student rate is only for NUIG students, seen as they pay the €100 levy in addition to the €250 membership.
    Krancjar wrote: »
    does the €250 membership cover both gym and pool or just the one of your choice???

It covers both
    sorry john I think you do, as NUIG students have been paying for this crap for 3 years in now in the form of an increased student levey. Its almost one hundered euro dearer then the old student gym and from what I hear you can't use any aspect of it without paying €250 per year! BS!

There is a pay as you go system - Bottom Right http://www.kingfisherclub.com/timetable_nuigalway.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Pingu wrote: »
    Afaik the Student rate is only for NUIG students, seen as they pay the €100 levy in addition to the €250 membership.

think it also applies to alumni who have paid the levy also.

• Advertisement

hada wrote: »
    think it also applies to alumni who have paid the levy also.

It does, only to Alumni that have just graduated though, as it was only introduced last Sept.

It could have been introduced from Sept. '05, but was only allowed to go ahead last Sept. by the SU as they weren't happy with the progress up until that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I wonder does the membership cover Kingfisher gyms elsewhere?

I know a few of my mates signed up to the Kingfisher gym in Renmore and they were able to use it in Breaffy in Castlebar.

Me and a flatmate signed up today. Its very nice and definitely worth the price imo, although there are a couple of worrying things. The girl who showed us around (who was quite hot and definitely and incentive to go!) didn't have a clue about power racks, but claimed there would be some. And also there is apparently a tv for every cardio machine, so I wonder how much cash was spent on that? Hope it doesn't take away from more essential items. Anyways if anyone was wondering, the pool is open this week, and the gym from the first.

EDIT: ALSO, they aren't charging a joining fee this month, but if non students go to sign up next month they could find they have to pay another 150 quid or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sanches56

I graduated from the college last year and correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt there a levy placed on students fees for the last 3 years at least of about €50. The college has about 15,000 students, this would add up to €2 million funding paid by students in that period and now there is a fee to use the facilities for current students. That is ridiculous, the facilities should be free as they are in Trinity College. I know this is paid probably by a slightly higher registration fee but if the cost is spread over the entire college population rather than those that wish to use the gym and pool. It works out better plus it may encourage more people to make use of the facilities.
    I think the building looks average and the pool should have been a 50m, not a 25m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

S.U confirmed that the levy was only brought in last year.It was 100 euro extra so only alumni who are graduating now will get the student rate.

Apparently the reason they are not running the gym as they do in trinity (i.e-no extra fee) is to keep numbers down. They are limiting places to 4000

I agree that its stupid seeing as every student in college is paying for it and for those who dont pay the 250 they dont get to use a gym they pay 100 a year for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Krancjar

so wats the story, if your a student and you pay the €250 membership you have to pay an extra €100 aswell...? is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Signed up at Lunchtime - very impressive place

I a previous NUIG student so i got an Alumni rate of €565/yr paying by direct direct - it would have been €499 if i paid as a lump sum

€250 for current students and those that finished last year

They tried to charge me a joining fee which i thought was waived until Monday but they said something that only been applicable for those paying the lump sum up front.

Place looks great but the staff at present seem a little clueless tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

any ideas on when the gym is going to be open for use...this swimming business is annoying me :P

Sept 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Only alumni from 2007?! Bu fees went up from 2005 after we voted!

Jeez its been stated a million times that the levy wasn't paid for the last three years, only last year. Whether fees went up or not has nothing to do with it.

hey guys for anyone like me that is interested in the classes that they are currently offering i have noted that as in all there other premises they are charging EXTRA for the pump/combat/attack classes when i asked when they were starting they seemed a little clueless, i can understand regarding the pump class due to the cost of equipment (although that should be taken into account re high fee) but there is NO apparent reason to charge extra for the others as there is no equipment needed except a good instructor? i have decided to see what is on offer in nrg as i have never liked working out whilst someone had there hand in my pocket. I am hoping for the sake of the gym and the reputation of the college that the apparant greed does not destroy the gym for the students. I think what has been lost here is the fact no matter who it was individually you guys have paid out of your own pockets for this gym and even though we have been asked to cough up even more than previously for membership we are slapped in the face again by being asked to pay for "extras" ie classes. There seems to be total confusion in regard to info and to be honest why would i pay for a membership now when i am not even sure of what is on the menu???? I can let you know that if you atttended classes last year and are hoping for the same instructors you will be disapointed, Roisin (step,pump) is living abroad, Joanne pump,attack,combat will not be working with the kingfisher, nnot sure about joanne doyle (spinning,abs blast), not sure about denise (combat,attack) or sarah (combat,pump) for the record i rang one of the instructors so info should be reliable???? As for weights and weight training in my opinion the best gym in Galway for Equipment (racks, benches, smithmachines etc) and educated advice on use and programs in Galway city gym. I would join again if they still had classes!!! yeah yeah i know :D:rolleyes: but not all of us are motivated enough to work out to a television :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

being honest, was down during the week to view the place, and it's completely top class. The thing is 250euro for students/alumni, it actually was the cheapest of all the tenders put forward (including Crunch's). The team behind kingfisher at NUIG seemed all up for supporting societies/teams as much as possible, the whole thing seemed fantastic.

I'm also sick and tired of people complaining about the "uncertainity and confusion" surrounding what classes/etc are going to be run - The place is just about half open, they're still getting equipment in (in fairness they only got the contract a few weeks ago) and here you've people blasting probably the best thing to come to NUIG in memorable history.

I mean they've even informally agreed to review the membership fees for students/alumni after the first year.

So maybe stop the whining and bitching.

ps. people seem also to have forgotten that the SU COULD have worked out a deal back a few years ago, but decided to wait it out and take their chances. and really, considering all circumstances, they didn't do too badly for themselves.

They have timetables for the classes now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

it actually was the cheapest of all the tenders put forward (including Crunch's).

Wow, how are you privy to such information???
    The team behind kingfisher at NUIG seemed all up for supporting societies/teams as much as possible, the whole thing seemedfantastic.

Whoopee do, that is the LEAST they should be doing seeing at all the work the CLUBS/teams have done to help put the facility there in the first place. Surely when the tender from Kingfisher (who are an established company, not just starting out) was completed, they would have had details of how they would go about fitting out the gym, RUNNING classes and the general day to day duties. It couldn't be THAT different from Renmore and yet there seems to be confusion and conflicting information, some of that from the staff themselves.
    So maybe stop the whining and bitching.

Ahh, its a FORUM, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they are not readily accepting the Kingfisher line. Btw, so defensive of Kingfisher, you're not a PRO for them by any chance:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hada wrote: »
    ..."uncertainity and confusion" surrounding what classes/etc are going to be run ....

Maybe the uncertainty has something to do with:
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=817282
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=813578

But I do agree it's great to have a proper sports centre on campus - just depends now on the "per class" rate for students that are members of clubs but not the sports centre.

Hada, sorry but where do you get off!!!. Not sure whether someone else is paying your fee or you have some connection with the Kingfisher! The money that goes out of my pocket for membership to a gym is HARD EARNED and i would like to know what i am getting in return. Dave i agree totally with your point on Privy information, as for "bitching and whining" we in Ireland don`t do enough of it to be honest, and when we end up with a lemon we cry in our milk "wishing" we had been more informed. I totally agree that the gym is brilliant, but then so is UCL and to the best of my knowledge it is free for students. I am at a loss as to why the Kingfisher have ANY say on the actual sports hall this is surely for the use of the clubs??????? as for not being able to use it (the sports hall) without being a member of the KF that is total BS.It all boils down to money! Regarding "tenders" surely all bases have been covered when supplying documentation for considerstion so why are they now (gym open) looking for staff??????? Surely when they were given the go ahead initially they would of had the staff sorted a short time after, ready for an official opening.

.... as for not being able to use it (the sports hall) without being a member of the KF that is total BS.....

Settle Petal :pac:

There was a charge of €1.50 for ppl to use the old sports hall, insurance or something like that and I guess there'll have to be something similar for the new one. Just depends how much it is. Once it's not more than €2 it should be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Hada, sorry but where do you get off!!!. Not sure whether someone else is paying your fee or you have some connection with the Kingfisher! The money that goes out of my pocket for membership to a gym is HARD EARNED and i would like to know what i am getting in return. Dave i agree totally with your point on Privy information, as for "bitching and whining" we in Ireland don`t do enough of it to be honest, and when we end up with a lemon we cry in our milk "wishing" we had been more informed. I totally agree that the gym is brilliant, but then so is UCL and to the best of my knowledge it is free for students. I am at a loss as to why the Kingfisher have ANY say on the actual sports hall this is surely for the use of the clubs??????? as for not being able to use it (the sports hall) without being a member of the KF that is total BS.It all boils down to money! Regarding "tenders" surely all bases have been covered when supplying documentation for considerstion so why are they now (gym open) looking for staff??????? Surely when they were given the go ahead initially they would of had the staff sorted a short time after, ready for an official opening.

Munster rugby pay UL a skip of money as it is essentially there home base. They put in massive facilities and crucially had space that NUIG is lacking and so it is often used by outside clubs (like Munster but I know some GAA clubs avail of some of the services). Irish rugby teams often train down there.

Nothing comes free it all has to be paid for. UL are just using a different way to fund than NUIG. TBH I think NUIG have it right. There are not beholden to outside interest and played to their strengths as a central location in the city. This way it will all be paid off and you will get a fairly professional crew running the place in Kingfisher. How many times did we get complaints about Crunch being run by morons who had no idea how to run a gym?

As for the classes some are free with membership and some have to be paid for. Presumably when outside instructors come in to give classes.

So who's been in? I went an hour ago, there are feck loads of cardio machines, as you might expect. In the "fitness studio" there is a chin and dips station, a power rack, two benches with racks, and 3 or 4 other benches. Then there's the usual isolation machines. Atm there is only one barbell and a few plates, I was told the delivery didn't come and should be here later in the week or next week. There isn't much space in the weights section. I didn't get into the "elite gym" today, I think I saw the room, which seemed to be full of nautilius machines. If there's space for deads and oly lifts it will be a useful area though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement