Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q+A with Marty Smyth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

Hi Marty, i read in the thread that you are starting to play online poker.

What kind of set-up will you have? i.e How many monitors etc.

How many tables will you play at a time and how many hours will you play a day?

What softwares will you use? ie. pokertracker, holdemmanager etc.

I saw you mentioned doing videos for a training site. I'd love to see some by you especially in PLO. Could you expand on this a little.

By the way if i ever meet you at the tables i have a wee tell on you :p:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Hi Marty,after careful consideration I have an appropriate and suitably tame nickname for you:- Marty 'Strawberry' Smyth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Hi Marty,after careful consideration I have an appropriate and suitably tame nickname for you:- Marty 'Strawberry' Smyth.

Do you feel embarrassed reading this. Its like my 4 year old niece giving everyone nicknames:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Richie 'Buzzkill' Lawlor.

THanks Marty for you answers to my questions....and good luck in the future,......you seem a popular winner when you take home the bacon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

Hi Marty,

is this website yours: www.mzonereport.com

I watched all videos you sent... brilliant stuff!!

Thank you!

Stoyan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Do you feel embarrassed reading this. Its like my 4 year old niece giving everyone nicknames:p

Oh have I got a good one for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I am sure you have had enough of this but hey lets keep you down the well a little longer until help comes.

1. Who was the closest to Phelps lap times in the pool in Vegas
    2. Who pawned everyone on the pool table in Vegas
    3. Who pawned everyone on the basketball court in Vegas
    4. After meeting you over there it seems to be all about the money and you seem to avoid or be uncomfortable about the hype around you.
    5. Do you think someone is stupid for carrying passport/phone around a pool with a bunch of lads loaded with drink.
    6. What do you think is your biggest strenght and weakness in poker and life (skip the life one if u want:))

BTW your a gent and gl!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭marty smyth

I know you are referring to me so I'll PM you my phone number ;)

lol the question was about staking someone WHO COULDN'T AFFORD THE BUY IN THEMSELVES

Like what some of the guys do on High Stakes Poker to kill some time when there not involved in hands, calling different suits picking A10 for example and if the flop is AA10 you get paid by the people at the table.

not familiar with it, but it sounds like a fantastic idea

bohsman wrote: »
    Was talking to someone whos been on the poker scene since before holdem at the Irish Open a few months later, not having known about that big game he pointed out one of the players from the game and said he was a well known cheat between marking cards and having people positioned behind other players.

yeah, i heard that too. in fact, i actually heard it after the first night when i'd done about 20k, but i still decided to play the next night as i thought even if he had been a cheat in the past, i thought this game was being properly run. also, i thought that even if that person was cheating, some of the other guys were so bad that it still made sense to play.
    everything considered, after playing for 2 nights i honestly believe that the game was str8.

• Advertisement

Was talking to someone whos been on the poker scene since before holdem at the Irish Open a few months later, not having known about that big game he pointed out one of the players from the game and said he was a well known cheat between marking cards and having people positioned behind other players.

another thing... i also heard a theory that the person ur referring too was playing as a team with the english guy. i find that idea ludicrous, as there's no way he could have sat and watched str8 faced the last night when fred was straddling for a dead 1k from any position in every hand if he had half of his action... i also didn't see anything in the play prior to this that suggested collusion, although i wasn't there when they had a private game off the premesis, and can't comment on that.

a-k-47 wrote: »
    Hi marty thanks for taking the well, must be tough going, i dont have any questions for you, congrats on a recent run of results.

hows does marty 'the bomber' smyth sound ..:D

sounds ok, but unfortunately bomber nolan holds the copyright for that one

you would sell the bracelet for 100k, am i reading it right

are u offering to buy it for 100k, am i reading that right?

davidgti wrote: »
    Hi Marty, i read in the thread that you are starting to play online poker.

What kind of set-up will you have? i.e How many monitors etc.

How many tables will you play at a time and how many hours will you play a day?

What softwares will you use? ie. pokertracker, holdemmanager etc.

I saw you mentioned doing videos for a training site. I'd love to see some by you especially in PLO. Could you expand on this a little.

By the way if i ever meet you at the tables i have a wee tell on you :p:D:pac:

- i do a 2 monitor set-up upstairs in my 'office', but thats mainly so i can have betfair or my emails etc open while i play. i don't usually play more than 3 or 4 tables, and most of the time i just play on my laptop

- i normally play 2 or 3 tables at a time, and i generally play when i find myself at home with nothing better to do - i don't set aside a specific amount of hours for playing. i'd say when i'm home i might average about 20-30 hours a week online, but i spend so much time away now, that it probably averages out around 10 hours per week over the year.

- i don't really use software at all. i have pokertracker, but i really just use it so i can replay hands for the training vids i am making... i haven't a clue what all the figures mean, or how to incorporate them into my game. i also think the sites should take steps to stop people from being able to use tools like this as i think it's unfair on the casual punters who aren't aware of it, as well as the lazy punters like me who can't be bothered using it.

- it's basically a card-runners type site but aimed more at european players. we've got some very good players as coaches and we're gonna have NL/PLO videos as well as tournaments. i've made a few small omaha videos aimed at beginners mainly. the site is called pokerswat and should be launched within the next few weeks.

- i'd be interested to hear what that is if u want to pm me

dunno about that one either - it wouldn't be very 'cool'. i think maybe i'm not cut out for a nickname

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Richie 'Buzzkill' Lawlor.

THanks Marty for you answers to my questions....and good luck in the future,......you seem a popular winner when you take home the bacon.....

ur welcome.. i've quite enjoyed it

Stoko wrote: »
    Hi Marty,

is this website yours: www.mzonereport.com

I watched all videos you sent... brilliant stuff!!

Thank you!

Stoyan

nothing to do with me i'm afraid. never heard of them b4. he's smith, whereas i'm smyth

I am sure you have had enough of this but hey lets keep you down the well a little longer until help comes.

1. Who was the closest to Phelps lap times in the pool in Vegas
    2. Who pawned everyone on the pool table in Vegas
    3. Who pawned everyone on the basketball court in Vegas
    4. After meeting you over there it seems to be all about the money and you seem to avoid or be uncomfortable about the hype around you.
    5. Do you think someone is stupid for carrying passport/phone around a pool with a bunch of lads loaded with drink.
    6. What do you think is your biggest strenght and weakness in poker and life (skip the life one if u want:))

BTW your a gent and gl!!!!

1. until eoghan o'dea came over i had been the only one in the house to swim 2 lengths underwater. however eoghan managed this too and probably did it a bit faster than me. also he looked like he could have gone further.

2. irish rob... although i won the most money overall because rob doesn't get much high-stakes action on account of him being too good.

3. it would have been pretty close between kp and marty mccabe, but mccabe won the most money, because he got me for a few games at the start for reasonable money b4 i realised he was too good for me.

4. i wouldn't say it's all about the money. i don't really enjoy playing that much any more. online - it's totally about the money. i really enjoy playing live events, but that's really about meeting up with everyone and the craic that goes on around live events - if i get knocked out of a tourney i don't tend to play a lot of cash afterwards if a few guys are heading out for a drink.
    i really enjoy playing live events when it gets towards the business end, and it's a great buzz to win tournaments, and i'm very moved that people seem to be genuinely happy for me when i do. but i do feel a bit uneasy when people tell me how good i am - i'm just not sure what to say. and i don't ever want people thinking that i think that i'm better than i am. i know there are a lot of other irish players who are as good as or better than me, who just haven't had that bit of luck that i've had over the last few years in live events,

5. if it isn't stupidity, then it certainly shows a lot of inexperience.

6. in an earlier post, i said that i didn't really know what my strengths were in poker, and i said that maybe my strength is that although i'm not the strongest in any one department, i don't feel i have any major weaknesses either. i think thats true. there really isn't one part of my game that springs to mind when i try to answer this question. actually - i don't ever seem to get nervous in poker and i'm always able to think my way quite calmly through a situation at any stage of a tournament. that might be a trait that not a lot of players posess. i don't know why that is actually - i sh1t myself when i'm playing pool and it comes down to an straight forward black.
    i'll skip the life bit - really nothing springs to mind again, and i'd just be spouting out some stuff that wasn't really totally true.

up to date again... i'll check back on monday and answer anything else that comes up. think i might call it a day after that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

Thanks for doing this Marty. Sounds like it's time for you to kick back for a few years and enjoy the good times :D. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

are u offering to buy it for 100k, am i reading that right?

Lol not me, but im sure you wouldnt have trouble gettin 100k for it over on 2+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

was told by an english gentleman in cork that he was offered someones bracelet for 10k sterling. gl getting 100k Marty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Hi Marty, congrats on your poker exploits and also many thanks for taking the time to answer this thread, Ive enjoyed reading it!

Just two questions,

1) Is the atmosphere at a live table much different in Ireland than elsewhere, mainly Vegas?

2) Do you notice people act/play differently on a TV table than normally?

Thanks a million again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

yeah, i heard that too. in fact, i actually heard it after the first night when i'd done about 20k, but i still decided to play the next night as i thought even if he had been a cheat in the past, i thought this game was being properly run. also, i thought that even if that person was cheating, some of the other guys were so bad that it still made sense to play.
    everything considered, after playing for 2 nights i honestly believe that the game was str8.

fwiw i played in that game and although i lost two buyins,i lost them fair and square as far as i'm concerned,i certainly didn't think there was anything up (although i don't have a huge amount of live experience so maybe i wouldn't have noticed if there was)

however i heard a rumour after about one of the players in the game being barred from a lot of similar games and i'm wondering if this is the same player who is being referred to,could someone pm the name,or at least an initial or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

lol @ thinking you could sell a bracelet for $100k

Nice read Marty

Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

robinlacey wrote: »
    fwiw i played in that game and although i lost two buyins,i lost them fair and square as far as i'm concerned,i certainly didn't think there was anything up (although i don't have a huge amount of live experience so maybe i wouldn't have noticed if there was)

however i heard a rumour after about one of the players in the game being barred from a lot of similar games and i'm wondering if this is the same player who is being referred to,could someone pm the name,or at least an initial or something?

I dealt that game, and it was totally above board, at least while I was in charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Great Well Marty thanks for doing it, a few questions of my own.....

1. During or after your wsop bracelet tournament were you approached by any Full Tilt or any other poker company rep to sell out on Boylesports and did they look anything like slugworth?(When watching the clip above replace the word slugworth for full tilt). If so what were they offering you to sell out?.

2. As a cash player do you think it’s generally a leak to be playing tournaments?

3. How much and what kind of research do you do before having a sizeable sportsbet.

4. Whats the biggest amount of money you lent to someone in the poker world and never got repaid on or got repaid only after a lot of hassle.

5. Were you ever witness to any sectarianism during the troubles in the north and if so describe some of the incidents. Did you ever feel threatened or feel a need to lie or conceal your religion in order to avoid potential trouble.

6. When Back To The Future came out did you feel a kinship with Marty mcFly or feel cool on account of you having the same name as Marty?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

lol at thinking u could cash in the wsop :P

what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

lol at thinking u could cash in the wsop :P

lol he did....might want to wipe that egg off your face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

KingofHearts rubbish delete, please don't try to ruin a good well. Back on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement