Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Study to get 600

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

wtf made you think posting in that colour would be a good idea?

Your rude demeanour is uncalled for and extremely unattractive whilst your aversion to something as simplistic as the colour of my post is simultaneously sadistic and petty.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't even know how to reply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    40% of people doing japanese get A1s.................enough said:)
    You wouldn't believe how ridiculously easy Japanese is. I only had a year to learn it (our teacher was on maternity leave, and Jap teachers aren't exactly a dime a dozen), did ****-all work until the mocks and I still got a B1 in it.
    It's below the standard of Junior Cert French, if not even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It was a good post, with good, helpful advice. Shame about the colour though. Light grey background + cyan blue font = eye pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

jus did my LC and all those i knew that were aiming for over 550 had no lives the last 2 years.. like one girl i was reli close to, vanished altogether and i still have no idea how she got on cos i dont know any1 hu was able to stay in contact with her..she went to a grind school and studied 9 to 9 everyday.. even if she did get 600, i dont think it was worth it.. i did my homework every night and studied an hour afterwards and got 450.. i went out at weekends and somehow managed to enjoy my last two years of secondary school..i got my course easy and am happy out.. xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Having a life is overrated. Needless amounts of work FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Just to reiterate, it's not necessary to lock yourself away for 2 years. I'm not saying I was out non-stop but as far as I can remember I didn't go out any less than I would have anyway. I know I went out twice the May bank holiday weekend as it was my birthday & it didn't do me any harm! I live in a rural area so it's a bit more effort to go on a proper night out and generally most people I knew weren't going out every weekend anyway, no matter points they were aiming for. Maybe some people feel better in giving all their time to it but it's by no means a necessity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

jus did my LC and all those i knew that were aiming for over 550 had no lives the last 2 years.. like one girl i was reli close to, vanished altogether and i still have no idea how she got on cos i dont know any1 hu was able to stay in contact with her..she went to a grind school and studied 9 to 9 everyday.. even if she did get 600, i dont think it was worth it..
    That girl is just one person. Not everyone who gets 550+ has no life.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

study this much <
    > and you will get 600. Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

its not only about knowing the syllabi for each subject (which you will have to know inside out and i mean knowing it in your sleep) know the patterns of the papers and statistics, think of everyone as your competition and how you can stand out . this might seem harsh but really you're all working for the same thing and only a few can get an A1. leave no stone inturned , don't trust your teachers to do everything. Give it everything, it's worth it if you gt wat u want.

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

jus did my LC and all those i knew that were aiming for over 550 had no lives the last 2 years..

This may have been true for the people you knew but it is in no way true for all LC students who are aiming for high points.
    Take it from me, I got 8 A1s and I was out most weekends in 6th year. In fact, I only stopped going out about 3 weeks before the exams :D. I didn't miss a single 18th party and I really enjoyed my social life all year.
    I also kept up Irish Dancing and competed at feiseanna about once a month. Despite all that, I still managed to fit in enough study to get 8 A1s so anyone reading this, don't feel you have to give up your life in order to get 600. Having a good social life keeps you sane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 -asdfgh-

Ya thats kinda what i did, i got 3 As in the junior cert which were maths science and tech graph. Then for the leaving cert i did honours maths, applied maths, tech graph, biology, chemistry, physics nd french and i did pass english and irish.

I ended getting A1s in maths, applied maths, tech graph, biology, chemistry and physics which were the sames As as the junior cert.

And to be honest i didnt kill myself since i didnt do much for maths, app maths nd tec graph since you only really have to understand them. And i only started working in physics nd biology after christmas. My first time ever getting an A in physics was the leaving cert, i used to be nearly failing in 5th year.

Anyway once you like your subjects you'll find it way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

If you have an IQ of 140 this task will take you approximately 634.45 hours of focused study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I try to think the Leaving Cert is like Golf.

You have to put in the hours and hours of practice, but when you're in competition, the best thing to do is NOT get uptight and stressed. Just let it flow and you perform at your best.

My mate shot 1 under par a few days back while singing 'Sweet about me' non stop for 10 of the holes. Gay but effective :D

^ Does that make sense? Hope it helps :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Completely depends on the person, also subjects a huge consideration. I almost got the 600 but three of my friends did, subjects , determination and of course luck the biggest factor in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Plus you have to ask yourself, do you really need 600? Most people who get 600 don't use it. Just because you get 600 doesn't mean you are a good doctor (And there are plenty of examples of that). The best doctors will come from these new scheme of apptitude tests. Long over due IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Choc123

I studied my absolute ass off as Im not that intelligent and I got 500.I used to study way into the night as I did all subjects at honours level.My best friend did sweet damn all and got 7 A1s so it just depends on the person,if you arent an Einstein and want to do well,just take one night out a week to unfold and study consistently from Day 1.
    My biggest advice to leaving cert students is to attend the Institute crash course especially in honours Irish..got a B and think without the notes I would of got a D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 heywhatever

consistently studying, but its not the length its what you do in the time you study - an hour of good study far outweighs five hours of bad study

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I was one of those infuriating people who did very little work and managed to do well in the Leaving Cert (another nerdy 600 pointer). Sorry! I mean, I never scrimped on homework (except for English, in which I turned in a grand total of 3 essays over the entire tenure of 6th year :o), but at the same time I never studied unless I had a test coming up. Ever.

At the same time, whilst in some cases I neglected actual curriculae, I did a lot of out-side-the-course work, because that's just the way I am. In Spanish for instance, I got "El Pais" (the right-wing daily over in Spain) regularly, took out Spanish language novels from the library and listened to Spanish radio stations on the internet right throughout the year (and I still do, because I'm using Spanish at my glory-filled call centre job). Same with Maths/Physics, because myself, and my boyfriend and a good few of my friends are comp/maths nerds. And when you see how vast and seemingly infinite the canyon that is mathematics is, you begin to look upon the little crater of Leaving Cert Maths somewhat more favourably. At least, it doesn't seem so impossible.

To summarise that rambling mess, pick subjects you like, and don't just see them as "exam subjects". They are skillz, and why put effort into them for two years if you're just going to toss them aside after the Leaving Cert?

The other thing I wanted to say was about coherency. Read. Read lots. Read anything. Newspapers, from the Irish Times to the Irish Star. Neither is any less valid at communicating ideas and information, and at helping you in turn to communicate your ideas and information to the examiner. (And also to people in general... examiners aside). Read books, poems, cereal boxes, listen to the news, watch debates, stop to smell the roses - you are not a 2d person, whose sole function for each exam is to regurgitate notes from an external source.

And bring more than one pen into each exam.

[Just to reiterate ironclaw's point...why do you actually want 600 points? It really is just a number, aside from the whole CAO process. And even there, it's not as if you have to work really really hard for 2 years, then can piss away a couple of years on a degree in uni. Generally, the work there is more demanding, especially if you're planning on using those points for med/dent/vet, where the slog may continue well beyond college]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

You wouldn't believe how ridiculously easy Japanese is. I only had a year to learn it (our teacher was on maternity leave, and Jap teachers aren't exactly a dime a dozen), did ****-all work until the mocks and I still got a B1 in it.
    It's below the standard of Junior Cert French, if not even easier.

I wouldn't agree to that... If you don't have a huge interest in it it's quite tough. I had to travel to classes on saturday mornings, so that didn't help. Also bear in mind that 40% of people doing Japanese -could actually be Japanese- /Chinese/part Japanese/complete nerds. Only around 150 peeps take the exam. I got a C3 with not much work and lots of cramming, but it was my lowest grade in the leaving

• Advertisement
Advertisement