Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things people do in soaps...

Options
  • 15-08-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

......that we don't do in reality.

This may have been posted before but...

I've noticed that there are a few repeatedly occuring things in soaps that just don't happen in real life. ok obviously most if it doesn't but I mean things that you see in soaps all the time that seem normal but when you think about them they aren't really.

And by soaps I mean the british ones, not like Days of our Lives or any of the american rubbish with long lost evil twins etc.

Eg.

People in soaps rarely use phones to speak to people, they always physically call to someone's house / workplace to tell them something. eg. ' I just popped round to tell you that I'll meet you in the rovers after work' - you'd totally just text or phone that one!

When packing suitcases, people always bring the suitcase and all their clothes down to the living room and pack there rather than in the bedroom. Ok I know it's probably because they don't have a bedroom set but it's just weird and wouldn't happen in real life!

People are constantly asking other people to 'have a word' with someone else on their behalf. That rarely happens in reality.

anyone notice any other 'soap realities' that just don't happen in real life??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

People seem to go to the pub every day for lunch, and every night...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

When people are on the phone they never say bye to each other, just hang up. How rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

Oh and the baby cry that they always play whenever a kid is suppose to be upset - Why is it always the exact same one? It must be the same since 1984, I can actually hear it in my head now I've heard it so much! Slightly off the point there, sorry! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Also, people always get up early at weekends - talking about what they're going to do on their 'day off' to their house mate / OH who is about to leave the house for work. Not only that but they always are fully dressed and have full make up on (the women obv) before coming downstairs for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Marry someone after going out with them for a week, like Roxie and Sean or Peggy and her new fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Brilliant thread. So true about the suitcases, and waking up in full make-up.

How about people never checking their change in shops or pubs.

Another one. One person is always on the verge of telling something vital to another person, but something the second person says changes their mind.

For example, X has seen Y's girlfriend snogging another guy.

X: I've got to tell you something! It's about Carly!

Y: Speaking of Carly, I've just asked her to be my wife and she's said yes! Isn't that fantastic? Now, what's this thing you wanted to tell me?

X: Em, nothing.

Ha ha, that always happens.

But what I love though is the way that most people if they have a problem with someone else will just come out and say it. People are always having arguments - but it always clears the air. and people will always acknowledge the fact that they've had blazing rows eg. " I know you and I have had our arguments in the past" - it's so honest, I love it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Or have you ever noticed how, using a holiday as an example, someone might go to collect their loved one at the airport. Then the next clip you see is of them walking in the front door of their house and the person will ask: How was you holiday?
    So what the hell where they talking about the whole way home in the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

or how about the fact that everyone in eastenders
    • does their washing in the laundrette (have they not heard it's the 21st century, washing machines for houses have been invented)
    • and they'll always head to the cafe for breakfast (do none of the lazy fecks ever cook at home)
    • goes to the Vic to celebrate weddings, engagements, funerals, birthdays, stag nights, hen nights, family reunions, leaving parties and any other minor event (let's face it the Vic should be called 'The Kip', who in their right mind would celebrate anything there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They hardly ever finish their drinks in the pub!! (unless someone else is buying!) Nothing could be that important?!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

gogglebok wrote: »
    How about people never checking their change in shops or pubs.

Have you ever noticed in Coronation Street they always seem to have the exact amount to hand to the barmaid. It's rare to see someone getting change back in that pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Has anyone else ever wondered where everyone sleeps in the Slater's house? Or in the Vic? How many bedrooms can one tiny house have?

Thought of a few more (I'm obsessed!)

- The morning after two people sleep together, the woman always emerges wearing a shirt belonging to the man which is conveniently just long enough to cover any naughty bits but short enough to be sexy!

- pregnant women always stand / waddle with their hands on the small of their backs, even when their bumps are still quite small.

- people go to night clubs really early, like when it's still bright outside. They do in Eastenders anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

People in Albert Square who have a meeting in "The City" and are back in the Vic for a lunchtime pint, leave your house after breakfeast, catch the tube or even drive to the heart of London and be back for a pint and carry on your secret affair in Thr Vic!?!?!

Most of the houses in the Square are 3 bedroomed, it's near a tube station, market, so renting or buying would be very costly yet people with low paying or even no jobs can still afford to live there!

Another soap rule is when someone's hubby,wife dies they are over it in 6 months and married again:rolleyes:

Home And Away has a huge amount of orphans or people turning up with a old photo saying it's their 'Mum' An unnatural amount of orphans ,long lost kids, turn up in the Diner:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

-taxi's are never paid for
    and when dialling on a phone the person is always on the other end to -answer as soon as the number is dialled
    -everyone drinks at lunchtime and after work.
    -There is never a queue of more than 1 in a shop

Hardrain wrote: »
    Most of the houses in the Square are 3 bedroomed, it's near a tube station, market, so renting or buying would be very costly yet people with low paying or even no jobs can still afford to live there!

And when a new character arrives, a flat or room always conveniently becomes available right on the square!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When characters arrange to meet over the phone they never say what time they are going to meet at. That has always annoyed me!

Soap characters always propose in public.

lucylu wrote: »
    and when dialling on a phone the person is always on the other end to answer as soon as the number is dialled

Very true, and the same goes for answering machines. Dial number, wait .005 of a second, leave message. What happened to "Hi, this is Niamh, I'm redesigning my hair right now but if you leave a message after the purr I'll be back to you as soon as possible..."?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

Here's some...

• They're never seen to go to the bank/atm machine to take out money - how have they got all that cash???

• They never sit down to watch the soaps like in real life!!

• When there's an absolute psycho living in the neighbourhood, they don't notice anything weird until the very last minute and then the police catch them!!

• That brings me onto my next one - the bad guy always either gets caught or else dies
    • It's normal for characters to have a gazillion partners - each relationship coming to a different end i.e. one boyfriend commits suicide, then the next cheats, then the next dies in an accident, the next goes to jail etc etc...
    • A character is suddenly played by another actor/actress who looks completely different to the last - very confusing for viewers!!! lol
    I'm sure there's loads more too................ haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 carlson

The way when someone is on the phone to some undesirable person and they are kind of shouting at them and then hang up and then another person walks into the room and says 'who was on the phone?' and then person stutters 'eh no one... er it was a wrong number'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Soap characters can buy and sell houses and businesses within a week. They just hand over the keys, no solicitors fees, no surveys, no waiting for loan approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

People order drinks in the local and either A) don't pay for them (take drink and sit down) or B) leave a full drink untouched and storm out of the bar when someone annoys them - that really annoys me!!!

People order drinks in the local and either A) don't pay for them (take drink and sit down) or B) leave a full drink untouched and storm out of the bar when someone annoys them - that really annoys me!!!

They do that all the time in Emmerdale. In Fair City, people buy bottles of wine in the pub to take away. Why would you? Why not buy a crate for the same price in Tescos? You wouldn't have to drink Sideshow Bob's Satanic Bulgarian Paint-stripper either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I think the strangest drink related soap behaviour is when they order a pint of "beer" or a "lager", that is all the info they give, yet the bartender magically knows which brand they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

duridian wrote: »
    I think the strangest drink related soap behaviour is when they order a pint of "beer" or a "lager", that is all the info they give, yet the bartender magically knows which brand they wanted.

Yeah that annoys me too!

I probably need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 carlson

In coronation street they used to always ask Rita in the cabin for a 'bar of chocolate' or a 'box of chocolates'

Also I hate when they have a brother or sister (actually they do this in all programmes really) they call them bro or sis or say how is my fantastic looking sister in law (for example) just in casae it slips past the audience who they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

People walk into a busy shop/cafe* etc to be greeted by the (lone) worker:
    "I've just had a call from Katy's school, she's been rushed to hospital after a freak trampoline accident! Can you mind the caff?!" "Eh, but I've never..." (Other person rushes out door) Upon the person's return several hours later (usually with a child who has their arm in a sling) the business is running smoothly and the veritable stranger they've asked to mind the place hasn't done a runner with all the money from the cash register.

*also applicable to market stalls and launderettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

lucylu wrote: »
    -taxi's are never paid for...

Oddlly enough this has come to be the cause of Lana's murder in Fair City. :D

Advertisement