Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Students will be worse off if bedsits banned'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Everybody should have a decent basic standard of living. These regs definitely improve minimum standards and ensure that someone doesn't have to defecate, sleep and prepare food in the one room. For hygiene reasons alone this should be applauded.
    The Herald article is about banning bedsits. In a bedsit the bathroom is normally shared but cooking is done in the same room as sleeping. I think you may be referring to different regulations. Does anyone have a link to the EU regulation mentioned in the original article?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shoegirl wrote: »
    Thanks to my "inspection" hot running water got installed which resulted in the landlord starting to charge me for electricity. As there is no law requiring him not to profiteer on ESB charges, he charged me double what ESB charged him, which really gouged me.

(And yes, I did check into the legality - there is a law in other countries preventing landlords from overcharging tenants for utilities, but not in Ireland - your landlord can charge you what they like for water, waste collection, clearning, etc - and this is limitless).
    I thought there was an offence under one of the old electricity acts.
    SkepticOne wrote: »
    In a bedsit the bathroom is normally shared but cooking is done in the same room as sleeping.
    Strictly speaking a bed-sit is a bedroom-sitting room. Some have their own cooking facilities, some have them shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭forex

Complaint to Landlord... kindergarten... etc... what are you on about???

I believe that you are intelligent enough to understand that I made a typing mistake meaning "Complaint on Landlord", Please don't try to be "smart", we are discussing exact things, but not how you defecate in the middle of your room. I hope you also understand that bedsits do not have toilets. And your comment about "defecting and eating" is not about what we are discussing - please open a separate thred for this purposes.

I really don't get the points you are making... Are you now saying that sharing a bathroom is bad? You were all on for it earlier.

Also Landlords nearly always ask people to sign a tenance agreement (it's a lease!).

In simple terms, and without going off in a tangent and a rant please tell me why you think these new regs are bad. Also please tell me who you think they are bad for?

Well ... what tenancy agreement you are talking about in this case? The one which protects land lord interests or tenant interests?
    I believe when first time you mentioned "tenancy agreement" you meant second one.
    If you always have to sing Land Lord's lease and can't ask land lord to sign your own version (I explianed reasons in my previous posts) please tell me how this lease can protect tenants ? And what exactly do you mean by this advice:
    "Shoegirl - Have a tenancy agreement with your landlord and they won't be able to rip you off. Why would you accept paying over the odds for electricity?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Victor wrote: »
    I thought there was an offence under one of the old electricity acts.Strictly speaking a bed-sit is a bedroom-sitting room. Some have their own cooking facilities, some have them shared.
    Generally bedsits have their own (minimal) cooking facilities.

• Advertisement

In simple terms, and without going off in a tangent and a rant please tell me why you think these new regs are bad.

New regs are bad because:
    1) They reduce number of available accommodation for rent on the market.
    2) As a result of [1] - increase renting prices.
    3) By doing this law big construction companies protect their interests via our government. Calculation is very simple - reduce number of available accommodation on the market and people will start to buy huses again. Currently builders does not want to build as profit level of 50% is not what they get used to get, profit 200% is normal in this area.
    4) In general Accommodation in Ireland is in a very bad conditions - no matter if this is a bed-sits or proper 1 bed flat. And getting rid of bed-sits will not make 1 bed flats better.
    5) It will not make our living standards better as general students will not be able to afford to pay for 1 bed flat. They'll have to share 1 room with several other guys (due to economical reasons). Which is worse we currently have.
    6) This law will not change living standards as it does not assume high penalties for its violation and does not increase number of available accomodation.
    Also please tell me who you think they are bad for?

This law is against general people who rents accommodation and does not have own.
    What to do in this case?

Just introduce high penalties for violation of living standards and regular inspections. Land Lord must know that it is cheaper for him to keep accommodation according to all regulations. And believe me Land Lords will keep his bed-sits clean,dry,warm & tidy.

Is this not easy? And is this not what we all need?

Advertisement