Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poxyiest ever bet

Options
  • 13-08-2008 5:03pm

So lads & ladies, it's all happened to us. We've been scrounging at a docket praying for a miracle and somehow god has shined light up our arses and it has come off. Then there are the funny bets that some of us have put on and they have somehow come up & in shock we have won.

I've had a load in my time but a funny one happened to me and my mate there yesterday.

Was Argentina vs Australia in Olympic basketball and Argentina were fancied to mess the Ausies up so me and my mate whacked €70 each on them -10 at 4/7 as you do :p. 3 seconds left & the Argies lead by 9, and they time out..... they throw it in the mixer and the Ausies give away a foul for two free throws. Needed both to go in for the bet & they did it :D. Couldn't stop laughing!

So ladies & gents, what poxy bets have you pulled off by the skin of your teeth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

So ladies & gents, what poxy bets have you pulled off by the skin of your teeth?

I remember this well and yet don't remember it at all.. Was about 4 games in at the beginning of most regular seasons and it was Friday and I was over at my mates house. One of our other friends came over and brought some salvia with him and despite having never smoked anything before, I was convinced to give it a shot. Needless to say, it had a big effect.

Some time later I was defending my case that I was on a hot run and hadn't lost a bet since the beginning of the season but they were having none of it. I told them I'd prove it, slapped on Betfair multiples on the laptop and put my whole bank on 5 random 2 division french league and Eircom league matches, neither of which I knew anything about. I promptly KO'd.

Came home the next day to find my betfair account had quadrupled with no memory of it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A Liverpool game, they were playing Birmingham in the league last season (April?) they went 2 goals down so I bet on them to win @19/2 - and they did! Easy money!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Sililar one to mike in a Liverpool v Villa fixture.

Back Villa at half time when they were one nil down at 25's (thought it was good value for any prem turnaround).

Within 20 mins villa were leading two nil. Planned on sitting it out but paniced when Crouch came on. Layed like crazy and sure enough the big man bagged a late equaliser.

One of those matches where everything goes your way. Pity it's not a regular occurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Pity it's not a regular occurance!
    Aye. But there'd be no bookies then :pac:

Poxiest, was probably the weekend before Galway Race week, I said to myself I'll put a few quid in the aul' pp account for the week ahead and swore not to top it up again that week.
    Was messing about on the site and came across a race at the Curragh and a horse called Le Citadel caught my eye. I knew the name from somewhere, still can't remember. Slapped a 5 e/w on him @ 11-1. Forgot about the race, logged back into pp later that evening and the fecker had won, sweet :).

mike65 wrote: »
    A Liverpool game, they were playing Birmingham in the league last season (April?) they went 2 goals down so I bet on them to win @19/2 - and they did! Easy money!

Mike.

I always back Liverpool when they are losing at half time :o being a silly fan. Burn't a whole in my pocket over the last few years :(
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    I remember this well and yet don't remember it at all.. Was about 4 games in at the beginning of most regular seasons and it was Friday and I was over at my mates house. One of our other friends came over and brought some salvia with him and despite having never smoked anything before, I was convinced to give it a shot. Needless to say, it had a big effect.

Some time later I was defending my case that I was on a hot run and hadn't lost a bet since the beginning of the season but they were having none of it. I told them I'd prove it, slapped on Betfair multiples on the laptop and put my whole bank on 5 random 2 division french league and Eircom league matches, neither of which I knew anything about. I promptly KO'd.

Came home the next day to find my betfair account had quadrupled with no memory of it at all.

All good stuff but this **** is funny ! ^ :D

Nice 1 mate. 4 figures I presume :D ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sililar one to mike in a Liverpool v Villa fixture.

Back Villa at half time when they were one nil down at 25's (thought it was good value for any prem turnaround).

Within 20 mins villa were leading two nil. Planned on sitting it out but paniced when Crouch came on. Layed like crazy and sure enough the big man bagged a late equaliser.

One of those matches where everything goes your way. Pity it's not a regular occurance!

Ah. One of those games where the referee, the players, the TV audience and everyone in the crowd forgets the goal from the first half.
    Now that IS lucky!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I won €24k on Sunderland winning the championship in 2006 on the last game of the season!!! 4 games in I got 24/1 at €500 each way then another €400 each way at 14/1. I donated €1k to the Irish guide dogs ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055041647

Bastrad! :p

One grand to blind dogs? You kept 23k? I'm outraged ;)

Mike.

DonJose wrote: »
    I won €24k on Sunderland winning the championship in 2006 on the last game of the season!!! 4 games in I got 24/1 at €500 each way then another €400 each way at 14/1. I donated €1k to the Irish guide dogs ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055041647

Fair play on the bet and on the charity mate. Nice 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

won a €25 voucher for a local bookies playing golf. Stuck on harrington to win the uk major at 8-1, nice one

took the 200 and put 100 ew on him to win the us major at 20-1, cudnt believe it

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    won a €25 voucher for a local bookies playing golf. Stuck on harrington to win the uk major at 8-1, nice one

took the 200 and put 100 ew on him to win the us major at 20-1, cudnt believe it

ROFL nice 1, I am guessing you now want his babies? :D

hes legend in my eyes now :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Had a 12 team accum, 11 of the teams had won & was just waiting for PSG in last game... it was played on saturday evening and to my horror PSG were 2 down playing at home at HT.
    My brother was actually in Paris that weekend and attending the match. I went to pub to drown my sorrows about what might have been. After final whistle brother rang me to tell me that PSG had won 3-2 :D, scored 2 of them in last 5 minutes. Happy Days, collected over 3K from Paddys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

ssmith6287 wrote: »

Similar story got call from Betfair Market research, they gave me €10 free bet put on Harry 5€ew @ 32/1 then lumped on him to win USPGA @ 20/1.
    I bet were making those who didn't back Harry really sick.

Went racing to the Oaks a few years back circa 1990 we all studied the form, a girl who had been Jet Skiing that summer backed Jet Ski Lady oh how we laughed, stupid wimmins know nothing about horse racing until it won at 50/1.

Got a tip for Cool Ground to win the Welsh National around the same time which won, I backed him to win the Gold Cup @ 40/1 the following year but also fancied The Fellow so backed him each-way and for some unknown reason did the dual forecast and it all paid. Won a serious amount of money for the time, which I invested wisely and am now a multi-millionaire, or did I just go on the piss for a week? Oh yea the latter, still eh thanks to the OP for bringing back some excellent memories.
    Cool Ground and The Fellow my faourite 2 horses of all time, I backed The Fellow when he won a few years later.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Ground
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Have two faves, did one massive accumalator on a load of internationals one day, was about 12-15 results and it came in, I was just backing favorites, was waiting on Uruguay Vs Australia in the middle of the night for it to come on lol.

My all time fave was England V Portugal in Euro2004, back England/draw at 14/1 after watching all the first round matches without placing a bet I noticed England started very well but faltered in the 2nd half. Lo and behold England scored early, led at half time, Portugal duly equalised in the 2nd half, England had a clear goal disallowed(think it was Rio Ferdinand??) and Portugal ended up winning on penalties. One of those bets you wish you put more then 20 quid on.

I've just placeed a 4 event bet at about 150/1 if it comes in it'll be a very jammy win :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Was doing Accountancy exams in the RDS, walked out of my last exam and was on a high. Strolled accross the road and decided to do a bet on the Champions League Final (Barca V Arsenal.)

€5- on Big Sol Campbell 1st scorer @ 50/1.

When he rose for the header and popped it into the far corner I nerly wet myself, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭jacool

Was working in a bank, and loading tapes in a machine when saw 2 tapes with 365 on, which was impossible as all were unique (turns out it came from another bank, but anyway !). My buddy was off to the bookies and all I had was £2. I gave him that to do 2p SF combinations on the first 8 dog races that morning. i was on 3-6 with 3-6-5 tricasts as well. at 11:40 he rang me in a quandry saying i had a double up. I said "why so excited" and he said that a 6/1 shot had just beaten a 25/1 shot so the dividend going onto the trebles was huge. at 11:55 i had tremors and the phone rang - the 11:53 was my third 3-6 sf !!! i ended up with £1,800 plus - i still have the racing post with the fields, plus the one with the results AND a photocopy of the cheque for posterity. a trip to vegas was the outcome, plus i gave my buddy a ton !
    the other outcome was that everyone was convinced that i was a guru and asked me who would win the National. i said bobbyjo at 25/1, and never backed it myself !! ah well, i had been poxy enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

jacool wrote: »
    Was working in a bank, and loading tapes in a machine when saw 2 tapes with 365 on, which was impossible as all were unique (turns out it came from another bank, but anyway !). My buddy was off to the bookies and all I had was £2. I gave him that to do 2p SF combinations on the first 8 dog races that morning. i was on 3-6 with 3-6-5 tricasts as well. at 11:40 he rang me in a quandry saying i had a double up. I said "why so excited" and he said that a 6/1 shot had just beaten a 25/1 shot so the dividend going onto the trebles was huge. at 11:55 i had tremors and the phone rang - the 11:53 was my third 3-6 sf !!! i ended up with £1,800 plus - i still have the racing post with the fields, plus the one with the results AND a photocopy of the cheque for posterity. a trip to vegas was the outcome, plus i gave my buddy a ton !
    the other outcome was that everyone was convinced that i was a guru and asked me who would win the National. i said bobbyjo at 25/1, and never backed it myself !! ah well, i had been poxy enough !

Legend story. Well done sir!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My jammiest bet came years ago. I was in first year in college in 1994/95 and was rummaging around a drawer looking for something when I found a betting slip for a bet I placed at the start of the season.

Blackburn to win premiership
    Middlesboro to win Div 1
    Birmingham to win Div 2
    Rangers to win Scots Prem

It was March when I found that, and I read it and thought "hold on a sec, this has a chance". All of them had their leagues won when it came to the last day except blackburn. Being a liverpool fan and having them play blackburn at home when the only alternative was Utd winning the league. The emotions I went through that day in the stables bar in UL were awful. When Jamie Redknapp scored a late winner for liverpool I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Luckily for me West Ham somehow kept Utd at bay and my £2 accumulators at 387.5/1 came in. A hell of a lot of drinking money for me for that summer I can tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Royal Ascot 2003 - two €20 singles and a €10 double on Choisir 25/1 and Zafeen 10/1 returned €3,600.

About 15 years ago I did a 7 horse bet and the first six won. The stake was small and it paid about £350.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Reminds me of a bet i was going to do last year.

In Bookies, bored and Aresnal v ManYoo are about to start. I decide i will back United to win 2-1 and Gallas OG to be the first goal. I ask for the odds and its something ridiculous like 2000/1 anyway my mates leaving so i crumple up the docket and leave to watch the match. Gallas OG was the first goal and United led 2-1 til the 90th minute. I couldnt beleive it was going crazy!!! How sickening if it did happen.

Could have been other way round with the score but either way whatever i flukily predicted was happening until that last minute equalizer....

Thank God!!

haha did a 3€ soccer accum last week. Did it just before i went to bed, load of indian teams. anyway had 50€ in my account, woke up nxt morning with €296. Niiiiiice

Thought this was worth a mention even though my mate didn't get it up.My mate did a €5 accum on the golf singles at the weekend and got 11/12 of them right with Harrington letting him down.... Let him down a few grand...

The sickener? Padraig let him down :o

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Thought this was worth a mention even though my mate didn't get it up.My mate did a €5 accum on the golf singles at the weekend and got 11/12 of them right with Harrington letting him down.... Let him down a few grand...

The sickener? Padraig let him down :o
    why didnt he just lay harrington and gurantee himself a lot of money.He teed off last:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

When England were playing Brazi in the World Cup I rang every goddam bookie in Dublin looking for them to give me odds on England scoring first and Brazil winning in 90 minutes. Nobody woud lay it.

Eventually got €40 on at 20/1 with an (unofficial) bookie and about another €40 on with regular bookies on the halftime/fulltime reversal at 25/1.

I was playing poker with the bookie a couple of hours before the game (it kicked off at about 8am) and he offered to double the odds if I named the first player to score. Of course... I said beckham and got another €20 on on those terms.

Watched the game in the pub next door to the office on Baggot St (it's gone now... can't remember the name of it but it's a spar).

Happy Days.

thedini wrote: »
    why didnt he just lay harrington and gurantee himself a lot of money.He teed off last:confused:

That's what I said. He's not a huge gambler , I only found out near the end & I was like, you plank!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Favourite one was England Argentina in 02 World Cup. Not necessarily for the money won (although that was pretty nice) but still mainly because for ninety minutes I could not be wrong.

Had two weeks off work to watch the footie on the off chance that one of the dozens of World Cup competitions I had entered would come off and I'd be flying to Japan.

Anyway, decided to head to boozer and and stuck a hundred on various markets for the match.

England HT/FT
    England outright
    England 1-0
    Beckham 1st goal
    Beckham last goal
    Beckham 1-0 scorecast

Late in first half England get a penalty and I'm praying Becks steps up. Indeed he does and buries it. No more goals in game and I cleaned up. Chuffed with myself that every market I backed was a winner - couldn't give a **** about the nasty looks I was getting in this pretty dodgy boozer for cheering on Becks for that penalty. Can't remember what stakes or odds but was a four figure win. Excellent World Cup for me that year betting wise.

Collie D wrote: »
    Favourite one was England Argentina in 02 World Cup. Not necessarily for the money won (although that was pretty nice) but still mainly because for ninety minutes I could not be wrong.

Had two weeks off work to watch the footie on the off chance that one of the dozens of World Cup competitions I had entered would come off and I'd be flying to Japan.

Anyway, decided to head to boozer and and stuck a hundred on various markets for the match.

England HT/FT
    England outright
    England 1-0
    Beckham 1st goal
    Beckham last goal
    Beckham 1-0 scorecast

Late in first half England get a penalty and I'm praying Becks steps up. Indeed he does and buries it. No more goals in game and I cleaned up. Chuffed with myself that every market I backed was a winner - couldn't give a **** about the nasty looks I was getting in this pretty dodgy boozer for cheering on Becks for that penalty. Can't remember what stakes or odds but was a four figure win. Excellent World Cup for me that year betting wise.

lol nice 1 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement