Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your role!

Options
  • 12-08-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

Spinning off to a comment Lemming made in the Mid vs High Cap thread I was wondering how many people have decided on their particular play style.

Some of us have been playing for two years now and its becoming increasingly clear on the field in a lot of cases that certain people play a different kind of game.

You have the usual balls-out screaming death charge rifleman types (where most of us start out). Then there are the sneaky-stealthy (or at least trying to be sneaky stealthy) types ... cough cough Vtec cough cough Liamo splutter ... ahem. there are folks who prefer the up-close and personal approach and one or two who have started to look into the grenadier role.

Personally I tend to play support gunner/rifleman mostly and hang back a lot to keep an overview of what is happening with my team. It's where I am most comfortable and it's been working for me. I dont so much mind lugging the weight around either (though my knee's have a different opinion) because I get to put a lot of fire down and watch my team mates splatter the opposition - very satisifying.

Has anyone else made a conscious decision to play a specific role or have people found themselves more "drifting" into the role over time?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I will mostly play as an Infanterist / Rifleman / Grunt
    A general Joe Soap soldier and all rounder switching to sniper occasionally with a change of loadout and rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

Scout and pointman. I also take the role of spotter for the support gunner and and demo corps as i'm left in charge the claymores and carry more nades than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

El Capitano Impatiento.

I scream at team mates to do stuff. I Taunt the enemy. I get bored waiting for somebody to do something, drop my primary and go running at enemy HQ with and M9. Or, I sit and wait and wait, and wait. THEN, BRRAAAAAAAP. Really both ends of the scale, never in the middle.

BTW liamos gone, he quit airsoft.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

shame, he was damn good as a sniper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've always fallen into some kind of support role. Not a support gunner but an actual squad support role. While I operate primarily as a marksman, I often find myself becoming a link between squads and relaying information and options to anyone on the radio net. I've settled into this role to the extent that I've altered my loadout to suit. I'm not sure exactly what it could be called. I'm not STA since I move with, between or beside the friendly players instead of going out front or way off to a flank. I'm not a rifleman since I usually provide ranged support and overwatch during advances or direct engagements.

You've got me thinking now, I must do some digging, see what role I most closely mimic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

NakedDex wrote: »
    I've always fallen into some kind of support role. Not a support gunner but an actual squad support role. While I operate primarily as a marksman, I often find myself becoming a link between squads and relaying information and options to anyone on the radio net. I've settled into this role to the extent that I've altered my loadout to suit. I'm not sure exactly what it could be called. I'm not STA since I move with, between or beside the friendly players instead of going out front or way off to a flank. I'm not a rifleman since I usually provide ranged support and overwatch during advances or direct engagements.

You've got me thinking now, I must do some digging, see what role I most closely mimic.

Forward air controller maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

Im the 'if he isn't on our team get him' kind of guy.I dont conserve ammo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Aye, or CCT. The ground ops version of the same role. Probably as close as a role name as I'd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

STA? CCT? guys...english please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i was jsut standard assault..

though im interested in the sniper role. God blessed me with steady hands and a steady aim :)

Though in saying that im only playing since march, and ive recently jsut joined a team so im looking foward to finding out what

A) i feel comfortable doing
    B) what people think im good at

In saying that im good at communicating so if ever a radio man is needed i usually volunteer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

A great man once said:

"When the brown stuffs hitting the fan... I don't care what my buddies are doing... as long as they're doing something....

In the fluid situation that is battle, the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome is paramount... Be prepared to be whatever you're needed to be and do, whatever you are needed to do

Welcome to the Suck!"

Wikipidia!!!!! great site isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

typically id play as a rifleman but also like to dabble in the sniper-esque role. which will be my new role as "Sniper One" in the "band of hawks"., :D

Nice one Vtec, finally a good ole salt of the earth Infantryman! Snipers...hmmm, was talking to Sigma Group's ISTAR opp. the other day, we sometimes see eye to eye on all this sneaky, sneaky catchy monkey stuff, and he's really good at that stuff, see, he's got the training and the temprement.

Unfortunatly I ain't!!! see I'm normally the first, or second(sorry Harliquin) into the fray. Also have to say that as a team we have found in the past say at S.A.C. we spent an awful lot of time on the ground, and this is really where our man from milan really got the chance to show off!!! Unfortunatetly the other team didn't really know what hit them.;)

Sorry, I do go on some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I haven't been playing long enough to know what I'm good at, but... I'm finding that I'm getting interested in the quick and dirty of CQB and room clearance more than the longer range fighting. I'm not saying that I'm any good at it. Just that I'm enjoying it and focussing on it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Depending on what I have to hand (or the details of the event/scenario) I'm whatever the squad needs. That's usually either infantry MG or assault (or assault with an MG if I'm feeling particularly energetic ;) ). Either way, usually entails being loud and aggressive once the fun starts :pac:

That being said, I don't run around screaming "come and have a go if you think your 'ard enough" if the objective requires stealth. I've done stealth carrying 15+kg for hours on end. Not saying I run around screaming normally either. Just ... well .. sometimes it's too much fun not to scream "get some!" whilst letting off a curtain of BBs.

[edit: Sorry, I'd like to apologise for that second paragraph. Sometimes Animal-Mother makes me say things. What's that? No .. I'm not asking them if they're photographers. You remember what happened last time, now shhh!]

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Pretty much a bog standard rifleman myself, although I'm hoping to get geared up for Grenadier work soon. I get my kicks from mad dashes onto the enemy flank while the rest of the team keeps them busy on another front. There is no greater compliment than "Where the **** did he come from?" :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I analyse what my team mates are doing, and what the enemy are doing.

If there is a weakness on my team, I try to fill the role needed to remove/reduce that weakness.

If there is a weakness in the enemy, I try to take full advantage if it.

So, I don't stick with any particular role. I can be a sniper, scout, support, a distraction, or anything else that is needed.

I guess I play the tactical role.

In most games I find that there are choke points that all players seem to focus on (laneway, or the centre cabin). It always amazes me how many players ignore the boundry of the play area. On most days I can walk up to the jeep unchallenged when attacking towards The Ghosts base. 9/10 I can successfully flank enemy players without any effort at all.

If I've learned anything over the last 2 years is that very few people actually play as part of a team. Instead you end up with a team of 20 soloists.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

I am happy to take on whatever command requires. Front man, sit back and defend, ambush, sniper, or drop everything except the Glock and go for a quick kill, it's all good. It's good to vary. Learn something new everytime out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I usually play the first-to-die guy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I play as redshirt Ensign Ricky :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

hal9000 wrote: »
    I play as redshirt Ensign Ricky :p

Best reply EVAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    Best reply EVAR.

+1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Mis bewtween rifleman/stealth.
    Many's a people have i walked up behind, taped on the back and whispered those lovely words of bang.

I rush anywhere, when defending and when attacking.
    IF i see i small gap in a defence where they have pllaced people new to the game i sprint at it and get into the lane and then cause havoc from there.

But i use a m14, so it is not the best gun for this roll.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I.....

....am a Ninja!!

...hooowaaaah.... <vanishes>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

extremetaz wrote: »
    I.....

....am a Ninja!!

...hooowaaaah.... <vanishes>

funny-pictures-ninja-cat-was-never-here.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

rifle man/ lead scout!

i carry M4 with a M203 as my primary and a Sig 229 as secondary and also have carry a shorty M3 shot gun for the woodland or CQB situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

General.
    I'll sit back in the chateau drinking wine.

It's just my job. It's not my fault I love it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

mainly i defenf the base or give support fire for the person with bomb/flag but then again somtimes i like to run around shouting come get some
    so really im an all rounder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

After some more thought, I've summarised my role a bit better:

Pest Control.

Advertisement