Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ouija board

Options
  • 12-08-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hey,
    This post should be ok here right? It's not to do with any religion in particular and not really spirituality so...hope it's alright here.
    just wonderin if any of ye ever played this and did anything happen? like seriously. I don't ever want to play it myself I'm just kinda curious about it!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

baglady wrote: »
    .. just wonderin if any of ye ever played this and did anything happen? like seriously. I don't ever want to play it myself I'm just kinda curious about it!

I gave it a go a couple of times on my own about 7 years ago or more. I didn't have an actual board, though. I just tore up squares of paper, wrote the alphabet and numbers 1-9 on the squares, arranged them in a circle and then put a glass in its centre.

Absolutely nothing happened on each occasion. I might have believed at the time that there was an 'intensity' in the air, but I think that was just b0llocks now.

At the same time, I think I'd notice if something unusual was about, you know? You don't necessarily have to be some sort of medium or psychic (joining a much more miniscule minority than most currently believe, I might add), to notice weird changes in a room. To all of our credit, we have good, old-fashioned human instinct on our side.

Before I started the thing, I was in a normal frame of mind. Also, I just said a few Hail Marys and I asked for God's protection beforehand. I might have been more-or-less a kid, but I was aware of possible negative outcomes nevertheless..

The glass never moved at all throughout each attempt, nothing in the living room (where I was doing the whole thing) moved, and there were no unexplainable sounds. In essence, F*CK ALL. I'll add that I later wasn't in any horrific car accidents, or otherwise, afterwards. Additionally, I didn't go mad (although I happened to be anorexic at the time- another, completely separate story altogether), and no-one close to me dropped dead either. Grand.

Having said that, I wouldn't bother with the thing if I were you either (if you haven't already). Simply because there have never been any reports of people gaining anything or anything positive, for that matter, out of using them. Try something benign and harmless like palmistry, astrology, or Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) instead. There are loads of books on those (as opposed to the f*ckin' ouija board- quelle surprise), and you'd probably gain something somewhat useful from those anyway.

My cousin told me a story once about the ouija board.. She insisted it was true because she knew/knows the family of the dead girl personally.

She said that her friend's older sister had used an ouija board with some other friends (that would have been back in the early 90s). When the girl asked how she would die, the glass moved to spell out the letters B-U-S, 'bus' (duh!). So she was like, "Right, I'll get hit by a bus so. Whatever."..

The next day, while she was at home, she walked out on to the landing on which her little brother was playing with his dinkies. As she went to move past him, she tripped on his little toy bus, fell down the stairs, instantly broke her neck, and died. Her other friends escaped personal tragedy, BTW. But that story always gives me the heeby-jeebies whenever I think of it. Even now, as I was just typing it, I felt shivers up my spine and my eyes watering a little.

My neighbour from when I was growing up also once told me her own personal experience with using an ouija board. She played it with 3 guys (who I know/knew) - Kian, Bernard and Owen - when they were about 14 y.o. They're all in their late 20s now, bar one of them... She swore on her life to me that the glass moved by itself, and she's not one to bullsh1t or exaggerate..

She says to this day that whatever they contacted 'predicted' a serious car accident Bernard later had (it even specified the year- '1999'), Kian's brother Richie being hit by a car 4 months later and (most shockingly of all) Owen's own death when he was 26 (12 years later- spelling out the word 'boat' and the number '26' at the time). Mairead was the only one who didn't receive a message. They were initially freaked out by the experience, but soon put it to the back of their minds..

Needless to say, Bernard went on to have a serious car crash in 1999 (had several broken bones and fractures but, thankfully, he recovered), and Kian's brother Richie was hit by a car when crossing the road outside his house 4 months later (but he emerged virtually unscathed). As for poor Owen.. I swear to f*cking God this is true. Owen died in October 2006 (he would have turned 27 in Jan '07) when he fell from a boat off the coast of Thailand, drowning to death (as revealed by the post-mortem). He had been travelling the world on his own for several months, with his travels culminating in Australia before returning to Ireland.

There were no witnesses to him falling from the boat and his absence was only noticed over a week later; uncharacteristically, he hadn't contacted his family back home, who then raised the alarm. His body was found in the sea a couple of weeks after he had fallen overboard and his family had to pay thousands of Euros (but with the help of local, generous fundraising) to fly his body home to Ireland. It was awful. F*cking awful.

Irrespective of my own experiences and those of others, Mairead is adamant that people should have sense to stay the f*ck away from using the things. When I asked this medium I know before about the possible implications of using them even if you noticed nothing, she said that something always happens- even if you don't notice it at the time. She said that it opens a gateway that allows negative, disincarnate (e.g. they were never living on earth at any time) entities to enter your life. That's IF you have failed to protect yourself adequately, are/were drunk, very mentally impressionable, or inexperienced with the paranormal. Her advice was simple- just don't use them.

Well, I feel fine and in control of myself and my life so I'm not too bothered. Plus, I had said a few prayers afterwards as well, which I think may have helped. But I won't (and haven't gone) go near one of them ever again.

There's a lot beyond this three-dimensional reality we call life of which we don't have a f*cking clue- probably for good reason, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I gave it a go a few years back, got contacted by some chap named Harold, strange experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

thanks LC that was very interesting. I don;t think I wold ever have the guts to try it out, I would be too scared of bad things happening, but all the same I am interested in other peoples experiences. Moosejam, was it scary????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

I love the way lots and lots of people are very skeptical about ghosts, spirits etc yet if you asked them to use a ouija board with you they wouldn't do it for a million euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I love the way lots and lots of people are very skeptical about ghosts, spirits etc yet if you asked them to use a ouija board with you they wouldn't do it for a million euro!

Even if ghosts arent real or you dont believe in them the possible psychological effects of using a ouija board are very real. For some people its not worth either the risk or the effort.

Exactly! Me and my friend were having a discussion about ghosts, spirits and all that and he cut across and told me that it was all a load of bullsh1t! To which i then replied well if you think this use a ouija with me. I dont actually have one but he doesnt know that. Anyway he looked shocked and said not a chance.

jus further proof that people are afraid to admit beleif to ghosts and other spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Skeptic_Desu

I'd jump at a chance to use a Ouija board.
    There's no adverse effects from one so I wouldn't see a problem.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You havent tried one up to now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I did it a couple of times when I was younger. One of the times we all let go because we thought one of the lads was moving it himself (and it turns out he was), the other time nothing happened. Turns out my old bedroom is not haunted.

Oryx wrote: »
    You havent tried one up to now?
    Nope just never had the chance.
    Heard all the stories though.

Nope just never had the chance.
    Lack of real inclination or interest?:)

Lack of real inclination or interest?:)
    Inclination I guess.
    Never actively went looking for one before and the whole "let's try a ouija board on this spooky night" situation never came up with friends or anything.

And plenty people think like you!! If you dont have a problem why don't you track one down and perform it in somewhere that is known for paranormal activity?

Let us know how you get on!

And plenty people think like you!! If you dont have a problem why don't you track one down and perform it in somewhere that is known for paranormal activity?

Let us know how you get on!
    If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know.

Where does one actually get a ouija board anyway?

If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know.

Where does one actually get a ouija board anyway?
    You dont have to 'get' one. Theres not much to one.

Still, not recommending you do.:)

You dont have to 'get' one. Theres not much to one.

Still, not recommending you do.:)
    Why? No-one has ever died from ouija boards.

Why? No-one has ever died from ouija boards.
    I'm not getting into that discussion. If you want reasons, plenty are given here, and in the other threads. You may disagree or think its nonsense, and that is your perogative. I just said it as a disclaimer, I never recommend them.:)

I'm not getting into that discussion. If you want reasons, plenty are given here, and in the other threads. You may disagree or think its nonsense, and that is your perogative. I just said it as a disclaimer, I never recommend them.:)
    Yes I do disagree and think it's nonsense.
    Those warnings are noting but hearsay and exaggeration.
    There is no danger in ouija boards in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

you could invite a malevolent spirit and end up getting possessed, I'd say thats dangerous no ?

MooseJam wrote: »
    you could invite a malevolent spirit and end up getting possessed, I'd say thats dangerous no ?
    If malevolent spirits existed and were inevitable, then yea I guess it would be.
    But i guess it give me something to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes I do disagree and think it's nonsense.
    Those warnings are noting but hearsay and exaggeration.
    There is no danger in ouija boards in the slightest.

The board itself is harmless but the human mind is very dangerous. Due to the reputation that Ouija Boards a person can do a lot of damage to themselves if they consider what is happening to be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Oooh ooh. Maybe I could use a ouija board, get possessed by a malevolent spirit and kill this guy I hate. The judge would totally let me off, it wasn't me like. Everyone knows there's all sorts of proof of malevolent spirits possessing people who use ouija boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The board itself is harmless but the human mind is very dangerous. Due to the reputation that Ouija Boards a person can do a lot of damage to themselves if they consider what is happening to be real.

Yes I agree with this. Its not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

I'd have thought the board was more dangerous? You could do some serious damage if you hit someone with one!

Yes and seeing as I do not consider the ouija board is real (as in supernatural) the worst that will happen is I'll look like a bit of an ass with a board and a few candles.

Yes and seeing as I do not consider the ouija board is real (as in supernatural) the worst that will happen is I'll look like a bit of an ass with a board and a few candles.

Yep. Exactly. I'm a firm believer in the ideomotor effect myself. I've even got a board from Parker Brothers sitting here in my office and I have no problem in using it. (It's a glow in the dark one too.. awesome!)

It can only be harmful if you convince yourself you're actually speaking to dead people as I believe it can act as a mild form of self hypnosis in that case.

Yep. Exactly. I'm a firm believer in the ideomotor effect myself. I've even got a board from Parker Brothers sitting here in my office and I have no problem in using it. (It's a glow in the dark one too.. awesome!)

It can only be harmful if you convince yourself you're actually speaking to dead people as I believe it can act as a mild form of self hypnosis in that case.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's self hypnosis buit yea thats pretty much it.
    People simply connect the next bad thing to happen to them to the malevolent spirit from the ouija board. Exaggeration and the natural state of passed on anecdotes take care of the rest.

• Advertisement

Well in order for it to work properly you are operating the board on a sub conscious level and in doing so opening up a channel to your own sub conscious mind in the same way that hypnosis would.

Anyway... I wouldn't recommend a Ouija board on the basis that it's time that could be spent playing Hungry Hungry Hippos instead.

Advertisement