Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

sullivan didnt even look his way...
    was a bad loser......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah it is funny. If anyone's on drugs it's Stephanie Rice. Her PB's have fallen ridiculosly in the run up to the Games. In the space of a year her times for the 400m have gone from 4mins 40secs to below 4mins 30secs. Won't see her scrutinised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

hussey wrote: »
    Did you see the size of that french guy .. wow he is HUGE!

talk about sour grapes, after the Eamo Sullivan lost, everyone was saying the french guy must be on drugs. They really hate to lose.
    minxie1 wrote: »
    sullivan didnt even look his way...
    was a bad loser......

I noticed that Sullivan seemed as if he was going to make a quick token "well-done" but some other swimmer swam over to congratulate Bernard and Sullivan then seemed not to bother.

Should make more of an effort tbh, he ends up just looking like a [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL].
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Yeah it is funny. If anyone's on drugs it's Stephanie Rice. Her PB's have fallen ridiculosly in the run up to the Games. In the space of a year her times for the 400m have gone from 4mins 40secs to below 4mins 30secs. Won't see her scrutinised though

I know most of the Aussie swimmers from the Olympics and the World Champs that were on while I was in Melb, but this chick just seems to come out of nowhere. She has three golds now - fair play but also kinda random. If she was Chinese there'd be uproar!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah it is funny. If anyone's on drugs it's Stephanie Rice. Her PB's have fallen ridiculosly in the run up to the Games. In the space of a year her times for the 400m have gone from 4mins 40secs to below 4mins 30secs. Won't see her scrutinised though.

Ye but she's hot whereas people see Bernard's size and automatically think "oh he must be on drugs". Or maybe just maybe it's possible that all of his training is geared specifically towards the 50 and 100m freestyle and that is what gives him his huge frame. Sucks for him but that's how your average viewer sees it. I think the fact that he's French also works against him. A lot of people really don't like him for some reason.

I'm not sure about Rice. I mean she's young enough that these improvements could be possible so I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. Andrew Bree dropped 3 seconds off his 200 time so a 10 second drop in the 400 is doable. Btw the races between her, Hoff and Coventry have been really entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And Phelps wins number 6 in a new World Record time of 1 minute 54.23 seconds.

2 to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,358 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The 100 butterfly will be interesting, Cavic was really cocky after beating him in the semi, it was funny but he definitely put it up to Phelps to show his best which might not be the best tactic.

As for swimmers and performance enhancing drugs mentioned above somewhere, FINA are terrible at tracking this sort of thing. With the amount of successful multi eventing going all I can say is hmmmmm.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The 100 butterfly will be interesting, Cavic was really cocky after beating him in the semi, it was funny but he definitely put it up to Phelps to show his best which might not be the best tactic.

As for swimmers and performance enhancing drugs mentioned above somewhere, FINA are terrible at tracking this sort of thing. With the amount of successful multi eventing going all I can say is hmmmmm.

Well Phelps' time was a bit off his best. I don't know how much faster if at all Cavic can go.

I wouldn't be worried about the number of events swam. In smaller competitions swimmers could be doing 3-4 events in 1 day so doing 1 event a day is possible for these guys. Plus when you look at someone like Phelps or Rice or Hoff you'll notice they only push it really in the finals. That's not to say no one is on drugs just that you can't tell by the number of events competed in.

And Michael Phelps does it - 7 Golds

He was 7th at the turn and second until the final fingernail, winning in 0.01 of a second!

I still can't believe Cavic lost it, he led all the way and made a bit of a bóllix of his stroke ending, with Phelps out-reaching him at the death. It was great to see a close race, but in a way I'm sorry he (Cavic) didn't hang on. I think I'm a little bitter having to watch NBC here where it's the Michael Phelps Olympics ;)(not his fault obviously - a great athlete and fantastic achievement and seems like a very down-to-earth guy).

OT - Armchair fans are running the show, the IOC should hang their heads in shame letting NBC dictate the schedule and braodcast policy for Beijing :mad:

Kirsty Coventry won the 200m women's backstroke - great performance and her first gold of these Olympics

GB's golden girl Rebecca Adlington absolutely crushed the field, and the longest standing world record in swimming set by Janet Evans in 1989, to win the 800m women's free. Apparently her parents were the victims of a ticket scam and had to watch her first gold from the living room in England, but someone got their act together and sorted them out and they were there to see it. Fantastic.

Cesar Cielo Filho won the 'splash & dash' 50m free and Brazil's first ever swimming medal. Two Frenchmen, Leveaux and Bernard took the silver and bronze. WR holder Eamon Sullivan came in sixth.

According to reports the Serbian team tried to appeal the result of the 100m 'fly on the basis of a faulty sensor, but it was refused after a review of the overhead cameras. It was so close I doubt the naked eye or even a camera from any sort of a distance could tell them apart.
    Meanwhile, word of a protest seeped into public knowledge and the Serbian staff did question the result, but FINA took the video to a 10,000th of a second and there were a number of frames that provided definitive proof as to the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Lirange

Underwater slow motion camera captures how Phelps got him.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12409893&postcount=10891

They both looked to be in between strokes coming into the wall. Phelps decided to take an additional stroke and Cavic decided to stretch for the wall.

• Advertisement

This morning's action is building up to the last event in the Water Cube, the 4x100m mens medley relay.

Grant Hackett got silver in the 1500m mens free, gold went to Oussama Mellouli from Tunisia. German Britta Steffen wins gold in the 50m free by another 0.01s, from US 41 year-old Dara Torres.

The Australian ladies smashed the world record and held off the Americans to win the 4x100m medley.

The US medley relay team go against Australia for the last medals of the indoor swimming, with Phelps going to gold #8.

The US team has just won the medley relay, with Australia taking second and Japan third. Michael Phelps wins his 8th gold medal at these Olympics

On a side note, German Britta Steffen was the first swimmer to win a gold at these Olympics not wearing the new Speedo suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Michael Phelp's person of the Olympics by far!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭onehorse

How much is that swimsuit to buy? Pity the swimming has come to an end

onehorse wrote: »
    How much is that swimsuit to buy? Pity the swimming has come to an end

There going to be released in about early November I think. I'm not sure what the availability is going to be like so it could be later than that by the time you can get it. Off swimshop the full body suit is about 400 euro and the legs, the ones Phelps wore during his the butterfly, are about 270 euro. Personally I don't think they're worth it unless your an international swimmer. A lower quality legskin would cost about 150 euro less. The LZR would probably knock maybe an extra quarter of a second off your times over a 50 if even over another skin. On a side note I wonder how many people will be wearing them come nationals.

Advertisement