Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Anitaosull wrote: »
    Hi there new to this thread so hi! I have a panosonic bread maker which I got a year ago. I have been making the breads in it since but would like to know which flour you recommend. I use odlums strong white flour but he bread turns out quite dense. Any ideas for a more airy loaf? Following the recipe that came with the machine for sandwich bread and white bread loaf . Tia

I use the tesco strong flour but I always use 2 thirds strong flour and 1 third plain flour when making bread. If I use just the strong flour I find the bread very dense like you say. My favourite plain loaf is the Panasonic extra large white loaf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

I made the porridge/ yoghurt bread. It was nice very stodgy but lovely with veggie soup. I left out the cranberries. I'll be making again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 507 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I made some hot dog rolls for the first time yesterday. They turned out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I made some hot dog rolls for the first time yesterday. They turned out great.

They look lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hi all I got the mother in law a morphy Richards 48280 the first recipe we tried it was as if the bread didn't rise fully and was quite dense. We tried a pre mixed wholewheat packet today which rose a bit more but still not enough and seemed like it needed a bit more salt. I like Danish type bread so what would be a good pre mixed packet just to get us going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Our first loaf didn't rise at all and got thrown straight away. Seems both yeast and flour can get old, so our third loaf had new yeast but we used the old flour. It rose better than the first, but still got thrown away. New flour then, and the bread's been good since.

Our second loaf was a premix. It was OK, but at least proved the breadmaker was working.

I use the Allinson's tin of yeast and I find that sealing the top with a layer of clingfilm before putting the lid back on saves it from going off :) I've had the same tin since before September and it's still working fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

We use the same yeast, but store it in the freezer. It doesn't clump or anything, but the plasic lid gets mighty stiff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I use the boxes of 6g sachets, previously bought in Tesco but now Aldi do them, which minimizes the time the yeast is exposed to the air. My Panasonic breadmaker recipes only use 1tsp per loaf which is less than one sachet, so I have a plastic bag clip I use to seal the sachet closed and expel all air before doing so.

Does anyone remove the paddles from the breadmaker before the baking cycle starts? I'm sick of trying to wrestle the loaf from the pan and I hate the big holes left in the bread from the paddles :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rubadub wrote: »
    my mammy still had it in the box, could well still be in it! though there is a new one in use.

il_570xN.976089242_jybq.jpg

my local lidl have slicing machines for bread, never used it but seems you drop in the bread and it might slice up any size. There are also ham slicing machines that come up in lidl/aldi that might do the job.

I wonder if you could use your own bread in it. Get it cut and stick it in my bag! after doing a full shop of course. My local lidl had a security man for a while, absolutely no need for him, he used to follow me around to presumably prove he was needed, it was comical really used to say hello going in. I'd say he would not have had a bother.

I expect bakeries would have cutting machines and might throw your loaf in no bother if you were buying a few cakes or something.

They are amazing. Never used one but watch sometimes... . neat! Try it...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

Does anyone remove the paddles from the breadmaker before the baking cycle starts? I'm sick of trying to wrestle the loaf from the pan and I hate the big holes left in the bread from the paddles :(

Yes, I do this. Used to make low carb bread that couldn't take the second knock back, so I took out the paddle before that stage. Works a treat and only one tiny hole. I set a timer on the oven so that I don't miss the moment to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Yes, I do this. Used to make low carb bread that couldn't take the second knock back, so I took out the paddle before that stage. Works a treat and only one tiny hole. I set a timer on the oven so that I don't miss the moment to remove.

I always take out the 2 paddles when the mixing ends, it varies from breadmaker to breadmaker. I set a timer on my phone, take them out, and let the baking progress. It can be a drag, not leaving it for the whole cycle, but it does save having some slices of bread with huge gaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

A little trick i learned for people with panasonic breadmakers where the paddle stays inside the bread after baking is, before you take the pan out of the machine to fill with ingredients, turn the paddle anti-clockwise until you feel some resistance, then take the pan out of the machine to add ingredients, and try to put the pan back in the same way, doing this i have never had the paddle stuck in the bread, and the hole in the bread is at a minimum, it might work for other makes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

The paddle on my Murphy Richards fastbake has stopped turning, any idea if & how it can be fixed? It was working grand only last week.

The paddle on my Murphy Richards fastbake has stopped turning, any idea if & how it can be fixed? It was working grand only last week.
    I take it you mean it's stopped turning while the mixing bowl is in the machine? Does it rotate freely, or is it stuck solid? If it rotates freely, it could well be just a broken belt, easily fixed. If it's stuck solid, it could be something more serious like a seized motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Alun wrote: »
    I take it you mean it's stopped turning while the mixing bowl is in the machine? Does it rotate freely, or is it stuck solid? If it rotates freely, it could well be just a broken belt, easily fixed. If it's stuck solid, it could be something more serious like a seized motor.

That's it, the paddle moves ok, it's just not moving when it's on. I turned it on without the bowl in it so I could see if there was any movement from the bit the bowl clips into & there is no movement at all, I can hear the motor running though. I'd say it's the belt alrite...

That's it, the paddle moves ok, it's just not moving when it's on. I turned it on without the bowl in it so I could see if there was any movement from the bit the bowl clips into & there is no movement at all, I can hear the motor running though. I'd say it's the belt alrite...
    Yep, sounds like the belt is broken. Should be an easy enough DIY fix. You can probably get at the drive belt just by removing the base of the machine. Plenty of drive belts available on ebay and the like, just make sure you get the right one for your model breadmaker. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

long time dormant thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for current breadmaker makes or models?

Same as always, Panasonic all the way.

Looking at the current range, I'd say go for the SD-R2530. It has the raisin/nut/seed dispenser which is quite handy to have over the more basic model. There are two more expensive options with a yeast dispenser but I can't really see the point of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement