Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony e-reader

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

Hi WJC.

There are loads of sistes out there - some general, some specific. Two things to watch out for. 1. make sure the eBook is available in your area - a lot of American sites wont let you download. Also, for the Sony, PDf and ePub are the only file formats you should buy..

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Accountsplus

You asked for sites and tips. BTW, I don't have a sony so this may not be complete.

Irish site : http://www.directebooks.com
    UK Sites
    waterstones.co.uk
    whsmith
    borders
    booksonboard.co.uk
    US Site
    fictionwise

Useful info.
    One of the best sites I have found for discussion of almost anything to do with ereaders and ebooks is www.mobileread.com.
    There is a specific forum on the sony.
    And there's lots of info as to where to get free books.

Also, later on, you may want to look at software like calibre for managing your elibrary and for converting formats.

I am sure other sony owners will add to this but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Smurffan

Hi

trying to set up new Reader PRS-600 and get a message "Calibration error detected. Please restart calibration process", also asks to '' Using the stylus, tap on the center of the target'', there are Xs on screen but tapping these does not work, just get original error message.

Have googled a few tech sites but no luck, any tips?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are you hitting the middle of the X'es?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xxsunshinexx

We have a new Sony PRS 300 and are trying to install an ebook library. When we chose UK it wont install. However when we chose US it installs fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We have a new Sony PRS 300 and are trying to install an ebook library. When we chose UK it wont install. However when we chose US it installs fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you trying to install the software from the device or the updated version from Sony?

The latest software is available here.

If you still have trouble then make sure your PC is set to the correct region, depending in your version of windows there should be a region and language option in the control panel. Make sure this is set correctly. Mine is set to Ireland and the software works.

Hope this helps.

At the moment we have nothing installed we are trying to install the library. I checked the computer settings and the region is set to Ireland but still no luck when we try to install the library. We get as far a this box where you put in country and language but theres still no Ireland...thanks for your help so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It installed fine from my 300 reader on my main machine (Vista), although it now keeps on coming up trying to reinstall each time I plug it into that machine but I've renamed the Sony library software so that it doesn't start as I'm using Calibre instead. On another machine (XP) though it has never come up with the prompt to install the Sony software for some reason, but again I'm just using Calibre on that one as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

At the moment we have nothing installed we are trying to install the library. I checked the computer settings and the region is set to Ireland but still no luck when we try to install the library. We get as far a this box where you put in country and language but theres still no Ireland...thanks for your help so far

Is the UK option coming up? Or is that the one the fails to install? And did you try the software from the link I posted?

Just went and did the Russification hack on my PRS-300 and now have a clock on the bottom corner of the screen and 7/8 as the page turn buttons. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help!! Our e book is now up and running!!:D

Patrickof wrote: »
    You can now download books from South Dublin Co Co Library as ebooks. They last three weeks and then disable themselves.

Do a google search for SOuth Dublin Libraries.

Their selection is fairly small for now (hopefully the more that use it will encourage them to expand it), but if you're really serious the New York Public libraries will let non-NY residents join for $100 per annum. Has to be done by post though. They have a pretty good selection of ebooks to download.

Looks like you can get eBooks from a few libraries in Ireland if you live in the area and get yourself a library card:
    South Dublin
    Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown
    Kildare

I've also managed to get registered for Essex libraries with a borrowed UK address I have as well and get a couple of eBooks from there too. They seemed to have a better selection and more copies of each book on first browse around their site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Back from the grave...
    Just wondering if anybody's tried the new Sony eReader firmwares at http://ebookapplications.com/ ??
    They look pretty cool, with even comic format support, but appear to have some battery killing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Anyone know if you can have the screen repaired on a PRS-505 I think it is. The lcd is leaking, it must have got crushed, just the top right hand corner but its a pain to read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Quick google brought me this site that seems to do spare parts etc - Google Chrome will translate it from Spanish for you: http://www.ebookspares.com/

But it looks like they're hard to find and pretty expensive. You might be better off trying to find a second hand unit on eBay or something.

Advertisement