Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving artistic technique!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    If the idea wrecks the piece nine times out of ten, it'll be worth it for the one time the idea works.

That's so true - it was even attempt number 20 or 30 for some of my stuff cos I'm a bit of a stubborn *something*. And when it does finally work it's the coolest thing ever! :D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

This is a really interesting point - you're absolutely right, and it can be a lot more creative than the 'creative' stuff that art colleges seem to be looking for. The perception among a lot of people applying is that your work has to be 'different' and 'out there' and pursuing this type of creativity comes at the expense of the more traditional form. This was certainly the case with my portfolio. Personally I'd rate them equally and while it'd be ideal to put a portfolio together that reflects this, the competition and pressure are huge.

The amount of bulging portfolios that arrive at art colleges each year is staggering and destined to cause selection problems. As the criteria for assessment ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous, I will decline to comment. Variables also occur between the expectations of each ‘discipline’ as the courses proceed, as you are about to find out. My advice would be to go with the flow and try all of the things that are advised (as much as possible), as most of it will be valid.
    Thanks a mil for your words of encouragement, this'll actually be degree number two :D:D:D

First one was in mathematics and theoretical physics and I'm way more excited this time around :cool: Dunno what degree number three will be yet but it's a safe bet there will be one... Exploring art after pursuing more rigid lines of inquiry is like a much longer version of 4'33". It's just mindblowing and jaw dropping and a whole lot of other things besides!!! :D:D:eek::eek::eek:

A degree in mathematics and theoretical physics is indeed something to be proud of. Well done! I wouldn’t know where to begin on either of these two. Art College will certainly be a much different experience. Having said that, I suppose you could say that I have studied what used to be a branch of mathematics: music. My second period at college was for a degree in music, followed by a master’s degree in musical composition. As music is now an arts subject, I am an artist in two fields: painter and composer. With your mathematical and art qualifications, perhaps music might become your ‘degree number three’ :eek::cool::D!!!

Advertisement