Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded National ID card is on the way. Say no more.

Options
  • 05-08-2008 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Only last week we are told that a proposed electronic card will be required to travel between the UK and Ireland. To night we are told of this new "wonderful" Government ID card for civil servants. No doubt this chipped photo card will issued to those on the dole so that they can collect their payments at the local post office.

It will also be issued to pensioners ones getting free travel and free medical. It may also be required as a photo ID card to those that don’t have an Irish Drivers licenses, and may compulsory to be used along with tickets to enter football matches to "prevent touting" and keep an eye on "hooligans"

According to the press "The new single card will replace a whole range of cards which are used to access Government services". In other words this is the dreaded RFID based National ID card creeping into Ireland.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/new-state-id-cards-on-way-1446912.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus you should have your own forum for this stuff by now. :rolleyes:

At least then I could avoid all of it at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

and may compulsory to be used along with tickets to enter football matches to "prevent touting" and keep an eye on "hooligans"

Where does it state the above.

Only last week we are told that a proposed electronic card will be required to travel between the UK and Ireland. .

For as long as I can remember you have had to show official photo id returning to Ireland by air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

OPENROAD wrote: »

In his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I, for one welcome our new National ID Card (Overlords).............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It dosen't state that in the above and I never said it did. :rolleyes:

Nope, you just made up a tabloidy headline to make nothign look like something. Do you actually own the Herald by any chance?

So whats your source :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I think it is a great idea. Civil liberites are always trying to scare-monger instead of actually being constructive and loping in their support but still trying to protect mis-use of these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

No more.

• Advertisement

So whats your source :rolleyes:
    "However, civil liberties groups fear the photo ID and information on the cards could lead to a national ID card". Evening Herald.

"However, civil liberties groups fear the photo ID and information on the cards could lead to a national ID card". Evening Herald.

Where does it state that it may compulsory to be used along with tickets to enter football matches to "prevent touting" and keep an eye on "hooligans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Where does it say "The dreaded National ID card is on the way"? A few people raised a concern that it could go down that path (As they always do / should), but you stated it as a fact ("In other words this is the dreaded RFID based National ID card creeping into Ireland.").

So because a group of people said somethign could happen, then it will?

Civil liberties group are a bunch of scareemongering whingebags at the best of times.

What swrong with ID cards anyway?Most of us have passports and Drivers licences that people whinge about being too bog to carry around.
    None of my German friends or family have any issue with haveing an id card. But then again they seem capable of rational thinkiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You mean I voted no to Lisbon and they're still going to put microchips under our skin. The No campaign lied to me.

/I feel used

javaboy wrote: »
    You mean I voted no to Lisbon and they're still going to put microchips under our skin. The No campaign lied to me.

/I feel used

Nope, not under your skin. If you stare at the Libertas posters long enough an image of an RFID buttplug appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Who cares if a National ID card system is on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It seems it's not as imminent as thought. Personally i think when they do come about it'll be great. Nothing to hide nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

what's wrong with a National ID card?

Karoma wrote: »
    Where does it say "The dreaded National ID card is on the way"? A few people raised a concern that it could go down that path (As they always do / should), but you stated it as a fact ("In other words this is the dreaded RFID based National ID card creeping into Ireland.").
    It is a fact no doubt about it. This is the card that will eventually let us pass between the UK and Ireland, access our dole payments and give certain people access into government buildings.

RFID is programmable and this "chameleon card" can change into any ID card that the Government wants it to once it is issued. Once it has a photo and microchip the door is open for all sorts of uses including the future driving license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It is a fact no doubt about it. This is the card that will eventually let us pass between the UK and Ireland, access our dole payments and give certain people access into government buildings.

RFID is programmable and this "chameleon card" can change into any ID card that the Government wants it to once it is issued. Once it has a photo and microchip the door is open for all sorts of uses including the future driving license.

Your opinion is not fact. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

uberwolf wrote: »
    What's wrong with a National ID card?

+1

If your not on the dole or entitled to access government buildings you wont need one then. Your passport will let you travel.

Anyway. As I already said. I have no issue with a national ID card. It'll make life easier.

Karoma wrote: »
    Your opinion is not fact. FACT.

Mine is. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So this one card will replace lots of other cards?

So instead of carrying around many cards you just carry this ONE card...

And this is bad how? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I really can't see the problem with this. If you have nothing to hide, what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

who gives 2 ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

uberwolf wrote: »
    what's wrong with a National ID card?
    The Roma community will not have one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Replace many cards with one card: Check
    Prevent people abusing the dole: Check
    Access to Govt buildings if permitted: Check
    Prevent underagers entering Pub/Club: Check
    Don't need passport to travel to England: Check