Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants to see where I live?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

hussey wrote: »
    Theres a google forum somewhere. How do I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's not available in Ireland yet. Hussey, wouldn't be too sure about posting your address on a forum. You may start to get some unsolicited mail:o

That plic kinda reminds me of GTA San Andreas for some reason.

looks like there's a free mattress outside number 35, grab it while you can :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its bit tiny innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

cormie wrote: »
    It's not available in Ireland yet. Hussey, wouldn't be too sure about posting your address on a forum. You may start to get some unsolicited mail:o

I doubt someone would send me mail from ireland to Australia ... and besides with google new tech, anyone can look up where I live .. or any street in sydney!

Cool but scary :eek:

Oooh, hard to tell, but I think there's a mullet with a walking stick outside number 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I doubt someone would send me mail from ireland to Australia ... and besides with google new tech, anyone can look up where I live .. or any street in sydney!

Cool but scary :eek:

Yeah and apparently a lot of folk are kicking up a storm now over invasion of privacy.

Overheal wrote: »
    Its bit tiny innit?
    /resist urge for 'yore ma' joke ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Did you upload the picture or did some guy working for google drive by your house with a camera? :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

/resist urge for 'yore ma' joke ;)
    oh she's tiny but it only makes her tighter :D

Google - they did it with every street in Sydney - check it out
    (go to sydney on google maps, and press 'street maps' button)

here is another one, of teh local s*x shop

Here's the story -

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=609010
    Google gets down on the street

06:00 AEST Tue Aug 5 2008

Close-up images of Australian homes, businesses and famous landmarks in cities, towns and remote areas are now available on Google Maps Australia, absolutely free.

Street View, the newest addition to the popular website, contains more than 10 million images that users can search and view.

Australia is only the third country to benefit from the technology, which was a useful tool during last month's Tour de France and is also available in 50 US cities.

From 3am (AEST) on Tuesday, anyone can access the tool by simply clicking on a button to find the 360-degree, street-level images.

The hard yards of getting Street View off the ground involved a group of "Google" cars mounted with rooftop digital cameras.

The vehicles criss-crossed Australia, snapping endless photographs for about six months.

Street View integrates with other Google Maps services - driving directions, searching and mapping specific businesses in a neighbourhood and the highly popular satellite views on Google Earth.

It can give drivers images of intersections to go with their driving directions and enable prospective homebuyers to view the streets surrounding a property for sale.

Cafe and restaurant goers can determine if a venue they have in mind has al fresco dining.

Business owners can take things further and download free images of their properties and other information, for use on their own websites.

Google Maps creator Lars Rasmussen says Street View has many applications for business, government and for rescue services when natural disasters strike.

"Our ambition is, of course, to be a world map - we're almost halfway there," Mr Rasmussen told reporters at Google's offices in Sydney.

"With Street View, it adds a whole new dimension."

Tourism Australia, the Real Estate Institute of Australia and the Australian Geography Teachers Association have all praised the new technology.

Google has also built in a feedback mechanism for property owners to request the removal of photographs that identify people or sensitive information.

Street View already blurs people's faces and vehicle registration numbers.

One couple in the US filed a lawsuit earlier this year after realising a photograph of their Pennsylvania home had been taken from a private road.

The image was later removed and Google says not many complaints have been received since Street View went live in the US.

The company says additional images of Australia will continue to be added, but it cannot say how often existing images will be updated.

Street View can be accessed from 3am (AEST) on Tuesday by visiting maps.google.com.au/streetview.

Lol jays my gaff is up on it!

EDIT - Here's the page -

Google.jpg

Weird!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Interesting street. Some nice houses right next to what look like crack dens :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Those Google bastards were around here with their roof-mounted cameras last week. Won't be too long before I can watch my hot neighbour on her balcony without walking round the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Those Google bastards were around here with their roof-mounted cameras last week. Won't be too long before I can watch my hot neighbour on her balcony without walking round the building.

The internet: Bringing stalking to a new level!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=609843
    Google exposes Australia's private parts

11:00 AEST Wed Aug 6 2008

A trip to a sex shop, sleeping on the job in a ute and being fined by the police: these are just some of the sticky situations Google's Street View has captured in Australia.

The launch of the service yesterday — which gives a driver's-eye view of homes and businesses across the nation — has been criticised by those who believe Google is breaching their privacy.

Among the flurry of complaints is one Queensland man whose wife was photographed in nothing but her nightie while standing in the street.

The man has demanded action from Queensland Premier Anna Bligh.

"If you look at my street you will see my wife, children and grandchild, plus a friend of my daughter's," he told ninemsn.

"Two of my children are under the age of 18 … I want Premier Bligh to do something about this."

He said his wife felt "violated" because she had appeared on the map in her pyjamas.

Australian Privacy Foundation (APF) chair Roger Clarke told ninemsn Google was under no obligation to remove any pictures earmarked as "offensive".

"Google lets people report an image but they're under no obligation to take it down … they've never promised to take down images that offend people," Mr Clarke said.

"The law is pretty bloody weak on this … Google is playing the game."

Mr Clarke said "problematic" images brought to the attention of the APF were swiftly taken care of by Google and no longer available online.

"You need think about what your reaction is when someone stands in front of your house and takes photographs of your place — people are protective of their home, their home is their castle," he said.

"When things become systematic and recorded, and those recorded things become available, that's when the whole game changes."

But the service does have its fans.

A member from online broadband forum Whirlpool wrote: "Do you force everyone who drives down your or your relatives street to not look at the house?"

"Seriously, the weirdos come out of the closet when Google is involved!"

Brilliant that people have been stung doing stuff they weren't supposed to be doing!

• Advertisement

I like the story of the guy catching his neighbour damaging his garage
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Xavi6 wrote: »
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=609843

He said his wife felt "violated" because she had appeared on the map in her pyjamas.

Maybe she should put some clothes on outside the house. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

First one is my house in Melbourne, behind that tree, 2nd one is my brother's in Perth, where I shall be as of a couple of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Myth wrote: »
    That pic kinda reminds me of GTA San Andreas for some reason.
    The ghetto look of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The ghetto looks nice than I thought it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Jaysus Hussey,

I think I know someone who lived in that house on Lord St, Newtown about 8 years ago!

Is there a convetred shed out the back?

What's the name of the pub on the corner of King st/ Lord St?

A right ****hole

Des Hynes wrote: »
    Jaysus Hussey,

I think I know someone who lived in that house on Lord St, Newtown about 8 years ago!

Is there a convetred shed out the back?

What's the name of the pub on the corner of King st/ Lord St?

A right ****hole

Nope no shed, the corner pub was called teh Sydney Park Hotel, it is dodgy as only ever has 4 customers ever .. but yet it is still open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Definitely a house very close by then.

There used to be a mad bunch of Maoris nearby always fixing cars on the street.

Used to drink in the Sando / Coopers / Town Hall / Courtie.

Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nice Crib. ;)

Advertisement