Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi's and Port Tunnel

Options
  • 01-08-2008 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Does anyone know why some Taxi drivers aren't happy about using the Port tunnel when doing fares from the Airport to Town?

Have heard of 3 cases of this in the last two weeks. I thought you couldn't refuse a fare within reason. Using the tunnel doesn't sound unreasonable. I know at certain times it can mean a cheaper fare for the passenger but then the driver is freed up to do more work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MrDylan wrote: »
    Does anyone know why some Taxi drivers are happy about using the Port tunnel when doing fares from the Airport to Town?

Have heard of 3 cases of this in the last two weeks. I thought you couldn't refuse a fare within reason. Using the tunnel doesn't sound unreasonable. I know at certain times it can mean a cheaper fare for the passenger but then the driver is freed up to do more work.
    Presumably you meant 'unhappy'! ;)

The customer has to fund the toll so I can't see why they don't want to go there (unless they have a phobia about tunnels).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I have used it alot recently and find it great, i don't mind at all using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If there is congestion in town, the meter goes over to time, not distance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Strange indeed. When it comes to other road users, the majority of those wa.... emmmm, taxi drivers ironically have 'tunnel vision'. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe they're worried about the return trip (where the customer wouldn't be paying the toll).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

what is the fare going from airport to city centre (let's say trinity college) from airport at 9am via port tunnel? i'd say it be less than 20 on the meter not using tunnel. the tunnel toll is 15 at that time?

what is the fare going from airport to city centre (let's say trinity college) from airport at 9am via port tunnel? i'd say it be less than 20 on the meter not using tunnel
    It would be way more than that. It can be almost €10 before leaving the airport vicinity!
    the tunnel toll is 15 at that time?
    €12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Do taxi's and buses have to pay the full rate for the tunnel, would be handy if they got a discount (though im sure double decker buses wouldnt fit in the tunnel, sorry havent much experience with the tunnel...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

1huge1 wrote: »
    Do taxi's and buses have to pay the full rate for the tunnel, would be handy if they got a discount (though im sure double decker buses wouldnt fit in the tunnel, sorry havent much experience with the tunnel...)
    Why would it be 'handy' if taxis got a discount?

Buses with more than 24(?) passengers are exempt from paying the toll.

Double deckers do fit - and many trucks are taller than double deck buses.

A bus operator on a scheduled route may only use the DPT if they are licenced for that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'd like it if taxis were exempt from the toll when transporting passengers...it is a public service.

Takes me 15mins from Ballsbridge to Airport using the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

RuggieBear wrote: »
    i'd like it if taxis were exempt from the toll when transporting passengers...it is a public service.

Yes that was my point, thanks for the info guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Takes me 15mins from Ballsbridge to Airport using the tunnel

What time of the day would this be, and what route would you take from Ballsbridge? I work for Fedex I use the tunnell/east link coming out of the airport every morning and returning again in the evening, 30 mins sounds more realistic from Ballsbridge. Ive been doing it since the tunnell opened and Ive never achieved 15 mins from Ballsbridge to airport..

last time was 6.30am on a friday.

Up bath ave....over toll bridge.... into tunnel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

i'd like it if taxis were exempt from the toll when transporting passengers...it is a public service...

Why exactly should a taxi with one or more people be exempt when cars carrying the same have to pay?

And I'm still unsure why they are allowed to use bus lanes.

monument wrote: »
    Why exactly should a taxi with one or more people be exempt when cars carrying the same have to pay?
    Agreed.
    And I'm still unsure why they are allowed to use bus lanes.
    Because the government decided to let them. This might have been fine when there was 3,000 taxis, but I saw a taxi number in excess of 40,000 recently.

i see it as public transport...with a very high fare.

I can live without owning a car as i can get buses/trains for most of my journeys and get the occasional taxi for those that i can't.

By giving taxi some of these privileges it encourages me not to add to the gridlock by getting my own car and using it for pointless little trips which public transport can accommodate.

That's just how i see it.

Stark wrote: »
    Maybe they're worried about the return trip (where the customer wouldn't be paying the toll).
    they don't have to take the tunnel back.
    Tunnel nominal height 4.95m
    Tunnel operational height 4.65m
    Typical double decker bus 4.45m
    Buses with more than 24(?) passengers are exempt from paying the toll.
    They just need to have that many seats fitted, no minimum number of passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Could you imagine the number of people would register their private cars as taxis if they could use the bus lane and the port tunnel for free?

On another matter above, at least if taxis can use the bus lane, it keeps the fare down for passengers. Some times in traffic taxis need to be encouraged to use them!

Victor wrote: »
    hey just need to have that many seats fitted, no minimum number of passengers
    I wondered about that Victor. Somehow I just couldn't see the girl at the booth straining her neck to see how many passengers were on board! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I wondered about that Victor. Somehow I just couldn't see the girl at the booth straining her neck to see how many passengers were on board! :)

Can't see her straining to count seats either, mind. I guess that anything that looks like a bus rather than a van with seats would be ok.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Victor wrote: »
    Because the government decided to let them. This might have been fine when there was 3,000 taxis, but I saw a taxi number in excess of 40,000 recently.
    Is that not country wide tho', as opposed to the county only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

delly wrote: »
    Is that not country wide tho', as opposed to the county only?

They are numbered nationally now, lowest number is 10001. Taxi's in the 40,000s means that we have at least circa 30,000 on the roads. Almost all taxis are concentrated in areas that had taxis pre 2006 as the local markets didn't allow drivers to licence a taxi; those that used hackneys have stuck with same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

bazzer wrote: »
    Strange indeed. When it comes to other road users, the majority of those ****.... emmmm, taxi drivers ironically have 'tunnel vision'. :cool:

well said bazzer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i agree but you still have to consider the return journey, or would taxis with no passengers be exempt as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

i agree but you still have to consider the return journey, or would taxis with no passengers be exempt as well?

Speaking as a taxi driver, if I was returning from a drop off via the Port Tunnel, I'd not want to travel back via it as there is no potential passengers to pick up en route regardless of the toll. I only use it if a passenger asks for it due to it's price which a passenger has to pay for (As indeed I would for the East and West Link) and I can't say I know of any guys who would use it for the sake of it, especially at their own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

i see it as public transport...with a very high fare.

I can live without owning a car as i can get buses/trains for most of my journeys and get the occasional taxi for those that i can't.

By giving taxi some of these privileges it encourages me not to add to the gridlock by getting my own car and using it for pointless little trips which public transport can accommodate.

That's just how i see it.

Public transport is exactly what it is, wether you consider the fare too high or not is another question, but this Public Transport does have a better record for being on time ( at least my customers think so:) ) and does do door to door, wonder what Dublin Bus would charge for a similar service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

considering the relatively light amount of traffic that goes through the tunnel, I think it would be an excellent idea to let taxis use it free of charge, providing they have a fare on board, or even the minimum €3 charge at all times rather than just weekends and after 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'd definitely stump up for a taxi license then for my missus and I travelling to work in Donnybrook from Donabate each day. She could be the passenger. Use bus lanes and tunnel the whole way. Hopefully they would make the East Link free too. Weekly train ticket is €25, times 2 is €50. €2.5k per year. Free road tax on a taxi as well as free tunnel. It would pay off the costs in no time and you'd have a quick journey into town. And if you're skint, go out and work a few taxi hours.

• Advertisement

John R wrote: »
    Can't see her straining to count seats either, mind. I guess that anything that looks like a bus rather than a van with seats would be ok.
    Are the number of seats not written on the driver's door/window?
    Free road tax on a taxi as well
    Taxis are obliged to pay the commercial motor tax rate. If the vehicle is also used privately, then the normal motor tax rate is applicable.

Advertisement