Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Txt-Speak invading Real World

Options
  • 29-07-2008 1:07pm

Has anyone else heard of this phenomenon of people using txt-speak in normal chit-chat. A girl I know does this. Apparently her group of friends do it too. It has to be the strangest thing I have ever encountered.

They would actually say, "I'll TTYL going to have a DMC", which I took to mean taking a huge dump.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:confused:

Haven't a clue what that is supposed to mean?

robinph wrote: »
    :confused:

Haven't a clue what that is supposed to mean?

Deep Meaningful Conversation, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Thats just plain crazy!

Have I got to learn a whole new language now?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Speak like robin williams in Good morning vietnam,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Is lol, tbh and imo txt spk or is it internets talk?

I think there could be a huge war between the internet and mobile phones over the ownership of certain abbreviations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What's happening the language. Was watching a hip-hop show on MTV recently with the Pimp my Ride host talking to other artists. Wouldn't have had a clue what they were on about only for there was German subtitles!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Has anyone else heard of this phenomenon of people using txt-speak in normal chit-chat. A girl I know does this. Apparently her group of friends do it too. It has to be the strangest thing I have ever encountered.

They would actually say, "I'll TTYL going to have a DMC", which I took to mean taking a huge dump.
    I thought it meant a huge dump too.

If I heard anyone talking like that, I'd slap them. If they were smaller than me like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personally i love it as it is an good indicator to stop talking to someone before their idiocy offends me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Deep Meaningful Conversation, apparently.

I seriously doubt that is what happend.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that is what happend.

Which part?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

DMC:
    Dave Mc. Savage.
    Definitely means a huge dump imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Was at a revision lecture yesterday and the lecturer kept writing u instead of you. Drove me mad:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

One night my cousins friend turned and said "O.M.G. THAT'S RIDIC!"

I nearly smacked her across the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

ahh violence.. always the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's kind of like Cockney rhyming slang, it's actually just twats that use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

ahh violence.. always the answer

ha :D, (afraid to say LOL!!)

ragahol - gotta love it

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Violence in my case would have been justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I caught myself saying BRB the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I have never done this myself and i've never heard anyone who talks like that :confused:.. That's just laziness.. How hard is it to say the full words as opposed to the letters. Keep the text speak to where it was intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Oh I can translate that..... it means I'm a f*cking tw*at and I'm under the misinformed illusion that talking like this will up my cool factor, when in fact it makes me look and sound like a socially retarded ars*hole.

Or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Was at a revision lecture yesterday and the lecturer kept writing u instead of you. Drove me mad:mad:

Wow, as Dylan Moran would say, your lecturer really is 'home with the downies'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

akamossy wrote: »
    I have never done this myself and i've never heard anyone who talks like that :confused:.. That's just laziness.. How hard is it to say the full words as opposed to the letters. Keep the text speak to where it was intended.

Where it was intended? It was intended for very old mobile phones that didn't have a multi text feature that limited people to 160 characters. People used these abbreviations to cram more into those 160 characters, however with the advent of long text messages and the internet text speak is no longer needed however idiots / skangers / twats and the like continue to use it.

I do NOT understand why people use it all over the internet considering that they have a full keyboard in front of them and half of the time it's harder to type the abbreviation than it is the proper word in the first place.

Where it was intended doesn't exist anymore however people continue to use it. The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dragan wrote: »
    Personally i love it as it is an good indicator to stop talking to someone before their idiocy offends me.

Would you not feel offended just by hearing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Achilles wrote: »
    Where it was intended doesn't exist anymore however people continue to use it. The mind boggles.

Yeah but don't you have to pay for sending 2 text messages then? Most of the time when I'm over the character limit it's usually only by about 5 or 10 characters so I'd go back and shorten the message. I am pretty miserly though.

Which part?

The deep meaningfull conversation part, I doubt they would have been capable of such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Anybody wondering why someone would tell you they were taking an big poo anyway?

MJOR wrote: »
    Anybody wondering why someone would tell you they were taking an big poo anyway?

Women always seem to announce when they're going for a piss, why can't we do the same for a sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah but do you really know that they are? "Going to the loo" covers all kind of bases whereas "I am going for a crap/dump/sh**e" is just plain oversharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Kold wrote: »
    It's kind of like Cockney rhyming slang, it's actually just twats that use it.

Ever since those from, or pretending to be from, the more affluent areas of Dublin adopted their own take on it.

Advertisement