Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Hope this gets done nice and soon, apparently the jamups for Abbeyleix went all the way back to Portlaoise on the 23rd Dec.

I did several commutes over Christmas between Dublin and Thurles, via Abbeyleix.

Dec 24th : traffic heading south at Abbeyleix was backed up to Ballyroan (Portlaoise side of Abbeyleix).

Dec 27th : traffic going north to Dublin, was backed up 4 miles south of Abbeyleix.

Dec 30th : traffic going north to Dublin, was backed up 3 miles south of Abbeyleix.

Jan 3rd : traffic heading south at Abbeyleix was backed up to Ballyroan (Portlaoise side of Abbeyleix).

The need to get this by-pass opened is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Here are a few pictures anyway. All these pictures (except for the first 2) are taken looking towards Dublin. I started at the end of the scheme and walked towards the M7/M8 interchange.

1. Looking towards Limerick. This bridge is the new R435 and its where the Portlaoise/Castletown scheme meets the Casteletown/Nenagh scheme.
    (img001.jpg, img003.jpg)

2. View of the new bridge crossing the original R435
    (img004.jpg)

More pics

3. Pictures of the new bridge at the Nenagh-Ballybrophy railway crossing
    (img005.jpg, img006.jpg, img007.jpg)

Pictures of the stone work along part of the route and the road surface in 2 seperate sections. The rocket shaped structure in the first picture is where they crushed all the rock. Its been said they deliberately put the road through this hill so as to get this rock.

4. Pictures of the bridge carrying a local road (I'll put in the road number when I get it) in the Lismore townland.
    (img008.jpg, img009.jpg)

img009.jpg is to show the separation of the central median. Not sure why this was done

• Advertisement

5. New bridge over the Dublin-Cork/Limerick rail line.

Another picture of the central median. Note how this one differs to the previous effort (img008.jpg, img009.jpg) in that the barrier is beside the drainage duct.
    (img013.jpg)

6. Photo of the new bridge in the Kilcotton area (I'll put in the road number when I get it). And a picture from on top this bridge looking towards Dublin
    (img014.jpg, img015.jpg)

Unfortunately I didn't write down the road numbers. But if your looking at this while having Google maps open, the townlands are mentioned on the map and these pictures are taken of the new road which is in a SW direction of the R434. Hope that helps a bit

Two structures within a few hundred meters of each other here. I don't know why they didn't just build 1 and link both roads into it. Surely it wouldn't have been as costly.

7. Delligabaun overbridge. The M7 at this point crosses between 2 houses which are no more than 30 meters from the road edge on either side. It was good work not to have to demolish at least one of these houses for the road. I'm guessing the residents would have preferred to have their house taken once the traffic noise starts up.
    (img016.jpg)

8. Coolbally road overbridge
    (img017.jpg)

9. Boherard overbridge
    (img018.jpg)

10. Main overbridge for the R434. This bridge meant a road re-alignment for the R434 too. Its also the first structure after the M7/M8 interchange (which is in the distance as you look along the road)
    (img019.jpg)

I didn't get as far as the M7/M8 interchange so have no pictures of it.

I've also noticed, from the bridge over the railway (#5) that the road is pretty much completed. The central median is up, and barriers are erected in 95% of places. The landscaping is also mostly complete, with trees sown in parts. All the local access lanes are done, along with fencing and gates and whatever else was needed. The road is also fully surfaced. I guess the biggest work left on this section is lighting thats needed on the bridges (if any), and road markings and signage. After that there's very little to do.

From #1 to #5 is a different story. Parts of the road is tarred, but only parts. Some bridges (#2, #3 and #5) have alot of work to be done to get them finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Thanks for posting the photos. Correct me if I'm wrong but looks like all the major work is finished on this scheme.

Anyone who knows about road building able to let us know what more needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I am delighted by the progress shown in roosterman's photos.

Indeed much of the work does seem to be done. The last set of photos in particular show a road almost ready to open. In those shots the concrete barrier is done, the crash barriers are installed and the embankments appear to be seeded and almost complete. All that's missing is signage, lining and studding. Drainage works on this section are certainly done.

In the photos of the less advanced sections, progress is still impressive. CBGM seems to be laid almost everywhere (which is really really good!) and after that the contractors will lay perhaps three layers of asphalt. These layers can be laid quite rapidly in favourable conditions. Landscaping works seem unadvanced along certain sections; but these do not take an inordinately long amount of time to do either. Based on these pictures, we *could* be looking at an opening as early as some time in May, certainly before summer's end at any rate (in my opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    Based on these pictures, we *could* be looking at an opening as early as some time in May, certainly before summer's end at any rate (in my opinion).

Did I not mention 'in time for' the Galway Races in this thread ??? If not I was most remiss!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Did I not mention 'in time for' the Galway Races in this thread ??? If not I was most remiss!

Yes but you still haven't explained why they matter or affect the M7/M8 PPP one iota!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes but you still haven't explained why they matter or affect the M7/M8 PPP one iota!

As someone who thinks the best of everyone, i think he means that they will be ready for race WEEK. So those going on the traditional summer holidays wont be stuck in traffic.

That is it isnt it? Your not planning to be like those gimpy ladies on the Kildare Village ad who say you can reach Galway on the M7?

I explained this years ago and ye all forgot. There is a perfectly logical reason why the start of Galway Races is a target date.

When I said that Athlone - Ballinasloe would be finished for the Galway Races I was right wasn't I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thanks for the pics :D

I really think it is a bit of a missed opportunity to not have this as wide median (or even wide bridges) to the M7/8 interchange. I can see the day coming (eventually) when we'll need D3m to there, and it would be easier if the bridges were wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Thanks for the pics :D

I really think it is a bit of a missed opportunity to not have this as wide median (or even wide bridges) to the M7/8 interchange. I can see the day coming (eventually) when we'll need D3m to there, and it would be easier if the bridges were wider.

It was very stupid not to build wider bridges. But hey we live in Ireland full with pathetic road engineers.

There is a perfectly logical reason why the start of Galway Races is a target date.

When I said that Athlone - Ballinasloe would be finished for the Galway Races I was right wasn't I.

What is the logical reason again? I can see why the M6 might open before these races, but not why the M7/M8 scheme would be affected.

What is the logical reason again? I can see why the M6 might open before these races, but not why the M7/M8 scheme would be affected.

The builders holiday starts the same day as the Galway Races.

Mind ya did Chris not predict the N18 scheme would be open by then ...my my that lad is brave :D

Aha... that makes sense to me now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great pics Roosterman71 - it looks like the scheme is progressing well.

One thing though - the bridges are too narrow.:( I don't like single span bridges over a D2 motorway - they look mean and if the road needs to be widened, they will have to be rebuilt.

Which may be the case at some stage for the section of M7 from the end of the Portlaoise Bypass to the M7/M8 diverge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Great pics Roosterman71 - it looks like the scheme is progressing well.

One thing though - the bridges are too narrow.:( I don't like single span bridges over a D2 motorway - they look mean and if the road needs to be widened, they will have to be rebuilt.

Which may be the case at some stage for the section of M7 from the end of the Portlaoise Bypass to the M7/M8 diverge.

I would imagine if they required widening (which I don't expect for ca. 10 years...they are only planning naas to m9 at the moment!) they could do it because it is a ppp with tolls and all this revenue would be reinvested over time into a widening project including bridges if required.

I could be wrong though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Mind ya did Chris not predict the N18 scheme would be open by then ...my my that lad is brave :D

Very brave, but I've said all along that its pure guesswork :D I bloody hope it will be open for Races 2010 though, as Gort was a ****ing nightmare last year!

A new, updated map of this scheme has been put up on the NRA's website. As expected, M8 junction 2 will not be built.

See the attachment.

What was the M8 junction 2 supposed to be?

A junction just south of the interchange with the M7. Now the M8 will have its junction 1 (or exit 1) at the interchange, while the next junction will be 3, with junction 4 at Urlingford. No junction 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Shouldn't 'junction 3' be renamed 'junction 2' and the future 'junction 3' should become a permanent junction or on-ramp at Cullahill?

Maybe, but there won't be a junction at Cullahill. The current roundabout terminus is certain to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wheres M7 J20 gone on that plan also?

MYOB wrote: »
    Wheres M7 J20 gone on that plan also?

The junction is still going ahead there, it has to allow the R434 and N77 access the M7. This route is busy to allow the West and Midwest to access Loais, Kilkenny and Carlow.

• Advertisement

If both of these interchanges are removed it now not only means no access to eitehr motorway but the entire centre of the country will have limited access to the Motorway and the old N7 and N8 will still be busy.

****ing pathetic morons running this country. The N77 is now useless. I think everyone in the nra should be sacked now and I'm serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement